Travel trailer tires

BoilerMike

One of the four tires on our travel trailer tire needs to be replaced. The tires are 20 months old and 12,000 miles on them. The wear looks normal for age and mileage.

Current tires are radial.

Would it be okay to just replace the one tire or should you replace the other tire on the opposite side as well or all of them?

One quote for a replacement radial $70.

We are full time RV'ers and tire safety is a very high priority.

Thanks,

BoilerMike

We

One of the four tires on our travel trailer tire needs to be replaced....Would it be okay to just replace the one tire or should you replace the other tire on the opposite side as well or all of them? One quote for a replacement radial $70. We are full time RV'ers and tire safety is a very high priority...

If the tire that needs to be replaced went flat or blew out, the other tire on that side of the trailer was carrying twice its normal load and well above its maximum rating. It is likely damaged even if it does not show it and should be replaced. What size tires does your trailer have? $70.00 sounds like a pretty low price for a good quality tire. What brand tire is the proposed replacement?

What is your tire size? I am really curious about the $70. price. Does it include mounting and balancing and road hazard warranty. I just bought 3 tires in Albquerque at Discount tire after shopping around and my prices were way more. I even bought one last year through Wmart that I ordered and it was I think in the $100. plus range if memory serves. Oh, yes the one in Albq. were load range D vs the C range from Wmart.

...The tire size is 205 75D 14...Any advice on brand and other specs to consider when evaluating tire selection?...

This thread has some pretty good information about the 14" tires available and changing to 15" if that is something you are considering. To me the most import spec is the maximum weight rating of the tire and whether it is sufficient (with some safety margin) for the loads it will be carrying, A secondary issue is the speed rating of the tire. Since most ST tires are rated at 65 MPH and most 14" and 15" LT or other tires that will actually fit on most travel trailers without modifying the wheel wells and/or fenders have a lower weight rating than the ST tires, this is often not a viable consideration.

• 3 weeks later...

All RV trailer owner manuals have a statement like the one quoted below. It's mandated by the DOT to be placed in the manual.

"To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size

recommended by the manufacturer. Look at the Tire and Loading Information label, or the sidewall of the tire you

are replacing to find this information. If you have any doubt about the correct size to choose, consult with the tire

dealer".

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

Adding to previous advice and suggestions; ST tires must be inflated to sidewall stated air pressure. Reason_they are loaded near their maximum load rating continually. This is so common, Carlisle Tire Warranty contains a clause stating if their tires are not operated at sidewall stated pressure the warranty is void. Edit; that is now changed to"damaged from improper air pressure".

FWIW, if you want to read the tire warranty from different companies they are here:http://www.vehicletire.com/Warranty

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

205 75D14 I believe is a belted tire and not a radial tire which would be 205 75R14. You do need to verify if it is an ST tire commonly used on trailers and you should verify the load capacity of any replacement tire and compare that to your individual wheel weights. I would not mix belted and radial tires.

We currently use Hecurles Tires. We have had back luck with Carlisle's and will not use them again. In our tire size ST225 75R15 load range E, we have not found any non china made tires.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

If safety is a priority, then a $70 tire is probably not the right choice. Don't be surprised if some tire shops insist on installing ST tires.

In actuality it’s my opinion tire retailers are going to get $ values on their marketing prowess. It’s probably not much involved with manufacturing expertise. They all have to have the DOT logo on their sidewalls indicating they have meet all the requirements for highway service. Pretty may cost extra.

Here are few like sized tires marketed by the Tire Rack.

Goodyear: ST205/75R14C = $80.00

Power King: ST205/75R14C = $60.00

Kumho: P205/75R14 95T + $75.00

Firestone; P205/75R14 95S + $58.00

38' fiver - Dodge Dually

AKA: FastEagle

USN Retired - DOD Retired - SSA Retired

Bias-ply tires on a trailer work well. They are heavier, carry more weight, have stiffer sidewalls which reduce trailer sway. At least that is what I've read on tire forums.

If safety is a priority, then a $70 tire is probably not the right choice. Don't be surprised if some tire shops insist on installing ST tires.

That is not unusual. Many tires shops will only replace existing tires with what the vehicle mrgr. recommends. I wanted a different size tire on my dually, one tire shop said they would only install what was listed on the door sticker. I didn't let the door hit me in the ___ as I left.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Archived