Replace 14" tires with 15" tires?

Yarome

I've read a number of tire threads over the years, but my mind get's foggy. Is there any real issue with replacing 14" ST's with 15"? Working pressure is currently 50psi and the 15" I'm looking at has a working pressure of 65psi.. so I'm not terribly concerned about the rims.

Any major concerns I should be aware of? The main reason I would like to go with 15's is to up the load capacity and move up from 6 ply to 8 ply.

I had 14" tires on a previous trailer. The load capacity of the tires was very close to maximum so I wanted to go to a tire with more capacity. There was not enough room in the wheel well or between the axles to go to 15" rims and tires. I went from 215/75R to 225/75R for a little greater weight capacity. I still had to cut a little off the wheel well trim to prevent it hitting the tires from time to time. The tires did not wear evenly. I was told by friend that worked maintaining a fleet of commercial trailers that I probably needed to get the axles/wheels realigned for the larger size tires. I found that the commercial rated tires supplied as original equipment on some european vehicles were the exact same diameter and width as the ST215/75/14, were available in Load Range D and were speed rated to something like 100MPH. At the time the Michelin Agilis and Kumho 857 were available. Not sure the Agilis still is available in a Load Range D tire. I bought the Kumho 195R14C Load Range D. I put over 15,000 miles on them before I sold the trailer and they wore evenly and still had plenty of tread.

Working pressure is currently 50psi and the 15" I'm looking at has a working pressure of 65psi.. so I'm not terribly concerned about the rims.

You will have to get new wheels to move from 14" to 15" tires, so you can get wheels rated at whatever pressure you decide to use. As long as you have adequate clearance within the wheel wells and between the tires, going from 14" to 15" shouldn't be a problem.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Your tires might handle the load but sure as there are lil green apples your springs will collapse bringing your two axles towards each other wiping out both tires unless you get stopped super fast. Just unload that trailer and have a sidewalk sale and put the cash towards a bigger trailer if you need to haul that much weight JMHO

Jim

Jim Spence

2000 Dodge 3500 1 ton QC 4x4 dually 5.9 diesel LB

BD exhaust brake, 6 spd manual trans

34CKTS Cedar Creek 5er, Trail-Air hitch

Just unload that trailer and have a sidewalk sale and put the cash towards a bigger trailer if you need to haul that much weight JMHO

I wasn't planning on exceeding the max gross weight (6700 Dry + load capacity) of my trailer. I was just looking at a current tire max gross of 6800 pounds and thought I would feel a lot more comfortable riding, potentially, that 6700 gross trailer max on 9500 of tires than I do on the current 6800.

Does that make sense?

Your tires might handle the load but sure as there are lil green apples your springs will collapse bringing your two axles towards each other wiping out both tires unless you get stopped super fast. Just unload that trailer and have a sidewalk sale and put the cash towards a bigger trailer if you need to haul that much weight JMHO

Jim

Not sure anyone is talking about overloading the trailer. I know I wasn't. I switched to the D load range tires to have more of a cushion between the actual weight on the tires and their maximum rating. Your statement about the springs and axles collasping is assuming that they are overloaded. I have seen a number of trailers where the suspension and axle ratings are substantially greater than the GVWR of the trailer yet it comes with tires that are rated just over the GVWR or maybe even a little under counting on tongue weight to support some of the load.

I increased the load rating on my tires on my fifth wheel. Didnt go to a larger rim size but the tire circumference was a bit bigger.

Was no problem doing that.

What I would suggest is to check the overall diameter of the 15 " tires and see if you have room for the extra growth in both the wheel well and the distance between the two tires. If it all will fit...go for it. But I would switch at the same time to LT tires. ST tires are junk.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

In deciding whether to go to 15" LT tires, I suggest that you take a very close look at what is actually available, the diameter and the actual maximum weight ratings. When I checked a couple of years ago, there were not all that many choices in 15" LT tires. Most were Load Range C with a weight rating less than the commercial grade metric 14" Load Range D tires and a diameter over 2" larger.

In deciding whether to go to 15" LT tires, I suggest that you take a very close look at what is actually available, the diameter and the actual maximum weight ratings. When I checked a couple of years ago, there were not all that many choices in 15" LT tires. Most were Load Range C with a weight rating less than the commercial grade metric 14" Load Range D tires and a diameter over 2" larger.

"

That's pretty much the same conclusion I've come up with too. I think I'll stick with the stiffer sidewalls, higher weight ratings, and only 1" bump. LT's are certainly less expensive, but I think I'll ride out some 8-ply's and see how they hold up.

Thanks for the input, folks. Much appreciated!!

If you ever get a chance in a tire shop, lift up an. ST tire and get anidea of their weight. Then lift up an L t tire of the same load carrying capacity. The L T tire will be much heavier. Ther is no rubber in the STTires. Did Imention they are junk?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

If you ever get a chance in a tire shop, lift up an. ST tire and get anidea of their weight. Then lift up an L t tire of the same load carrying capacity. The L T tire will be much heavier. Ther is no rubber in the STTires. Did Imention they are junk?

I know... lol But the only LT tires in 15" I can find have a lower load capacity than the 14" marathons I have on there now. 1609 vs 1760.. and the 8-ply ST's I'm looking at (in 15") are rated at 2150. The 14" LT's I'm running across are only 1520 (10% BELOW max gross trailer weight).

I am VERY open to suggestions though. If I could find a 14" or 15" LT in the 1850+ range (10% above max gross), I would certainly consider them. I'm really trying to maintain 15-20% capacity above absolute max gross though.

From what I have heard at my brothers tire shop, finding 14 and 15 inch tires is very difficult. Companies can order the OEM from the tire companies because they buy thousands at a time. Finding the replacements get's very hard and we all know the bean counters at the manufactures want the lowest price for every part of the trailer. Even the really important ones. Before you purchase any replacement wheels and tires. Question your supplier on the availability of those same tires in the near and distant future.

Just my opinion.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

...I am VERY open to suggestions though. If I could find a 14" or 15" LT in the 1850+ range (10% above max gross), I would certainly consider them. I'm really trying to maintain 15-20% capacity above absolute max gross though...

Did you look at the link I provided for the Kumho metric tires? All have a Maximum load of above 1850#. I do not believe that they are really considered ST tires, Kumho says they are: "For commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer." As I said in my earlier post they are speed rated for much more than the 65MPH of most ST tires. As far as I know, they are not made in China. At least they weren't when I had them.

185R14C 1874 @ 65

195R14C 2094 @ 65

205R14C 2271 @ 65

Did you look at the link I provided for the Kumho metric tires? All have a Maximum load of above 1850#. I do not believe that they are really considered ST tires, Kumho says they are: "For commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer." As I said in my earlier post they are speed rated for much more than the 65MPH of most ST tires. As far as I know, they are not made in China. At least they weren't when I had them.

185R14C 1874 @ 65

195R14C 2094 @ 65

205R14C 2271 @ 65

I did actually. Kumho's are made in South Korea, and from their construction, are ST tires. I appreciate the link, but I was thinking of going Maxxis over the Kumho. They are less expensive, but more difficult to come across on the road if a tire needs replacing.

I did actually. Kumho's are made in South Korea, and from their construction, are ST tires. I appreciate the link, but I was thinking of going Maxxis over the Kumho. They are less expensive, but more difficult to come across on the road if a tire needs replacing.

I have 15" Maxxis 8008 ST tires on our current trailer, mainly because the Kumhos do not come in a 15" size that I could use. The Maxxis seem to be holding up well after two years and over 12,000 miles. I am not crazy about the 65MPH speed rating even though I normally drive 60-62 even if on the interstates.

From what I have heard/read, Carlisle Radial Trail RH are made in the USA and Carlisle is the only tire company currently producing ST tires in the USA. This information about speed ratings that is supposed to be from Carlisle was posted on another forum:

Carlisle%20Radial%20RH%20tire%20speed%20

I think you will be happy with the Maxxis. They have a pretty good reputation, I believe they are made in Thailand, at least that's what mine say,

u will be happy with the Maxxis. They have a pretty good reputation, I believe they are made in Thailand, at least that's what mine say,

I appreciate the follow-up, Tony! That is my understanding too with the Maxxis, but so many folks seem to get really good wear out of them (12k so far is reallyyyyy decent) that I am willing to try it. That's what I am looking at as well... the 8008's in the 8pr. I certainly haven't found anything else that can compare to their load ratings.

Much appreciated!

Sometimes a tire's overall diameter can be a major problem when going from 14" to 15" tires. The link below has a couple of 15" tires very close in diameter with OE 14" tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&code=yes&partnum=27R5G26&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Goodyear_Cargo_G26_Tire&tireModel=Cargo+G26&GCID=C13674x012-tire

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'
Dodge DRW 3500 Turbo Diesel
USN Retired - DOD Retired

Sometimes a tire's overall diameter can be a major problem when going from 14" to 15" tires. The link below has a couple of 15" tires very close in diameter with OE 14" tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&code=yes&partnum=27R5G26&KEYWORD=tires.jsp_Goodyear_Cargo_G26_Tire&tireModel=Cargo+G26&GCID=C13674x012-tire

FastEagle

Thanks for the link! Looking at the specifications, the Goodyear G26 225/70R/15C needs a 6-7" rim, so is likely wider and at 27.4" taller than the OEM 14" tire and a liitle taller than the 27.1" ST205/75R/15. They probably would hit the plastic wheel well trim on my current trailer because of the extra width and would have slightly less weight capacity than the factory supplied ST225/75R/15 load range D rated at 2540# Max. The 195/70R/15C uses a 5-6" rim with a diameter of 25.8" which is a little less than the 26.1" of the ST205/75R/14. The 1985# Max Load is OK, but not quite as high as the 2150# of the Maxxis ST205/75R/15 Load Range D or the Kumho 195R14C or 205R14C. If it is a matter that is considered important to you, the Country of Origin Codes of FR, DE, & TR all represent factories located in China although not the same one where the Goodyear Marathons are made.

Thanks for the link! Looking at the specifications, the Goodyear G26 225/70R/15C needs a 6-7" rim, so is likely wider and at 27.4" taller than the OEM 14" tire and a liitle taller than the 27.1" ST205/75R/15. They probably would hit the plastic wheel well trim on my current trailer because of the extra width and would have slightly less weight capacity than the factory supplied ST225/75R/15 load range D rated at 2540# Max. The 195/70R/15C uses a 5-6" rim with a diameter of 25.8" which is a little less than the 26.1" of the ST205/75R/14. The 1985# Max Load is OK, but not quite as high as the 2150# of the Maxxis ST205/75R/15 Load Range D or the Kumho 195R14C or 205R14C. If it is a matter that is considered important to you, the Country of Origin Codes of FR, DE, & TR all represent factories located in China although not the same one where the Goodyear Marathons are made.

I think you will find that this is the type of list the Tire Rack uses for country of origin codes.

http://www.capso.org/pdfs/SNORDirectory2005.pdf

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'

I think you will find that this is the type of list the Tire Rack uses for country of origin codes.

http://www.capso.org/pdfs/SNORDirectory2005.pdf

FastEagle

Maybe, but why would they use a code from the "Directory of National Origin Names & Country Codes" that "is to be used as a reference by Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) and private schools when conducting counts of eligible immigrant students as required by Title III of the No Child Left Behind Act and reporting these data to the California Department of Education (CDE) via the Student National Origin Report (SNOR)." when there is a specific list for tires maintained by the US DOT? If you look at the list that you linked to there is no DE, yet that is one of the abbreviations used by Tire Rack?

Switching to 15" tires offers the choice of load range D,E, F, or G trailer tires. http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/TBC%20sigma%20nankang/trailer/tbc_sigmas_trailer_tires.htm

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Switching to 15" tires offers the choice of load range D,E, F, or G trailer tires. http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/TBC%20sigma%20nankang/trailer/tbc_sigmas_trailer_tires.htm

The D & E tires at the link you provided are STs and are the same sizes often supplied by travel trailer manufacturers and tire manufacturers like Maxxis, etc.. There may be F & G and even H rated tires for 15" rims, but are the rims & tires too wide and or too tall to fit on a trailer designed for 14 or 15" ST tires? Can you get rims in the right size, pressure and weight rating for the the F & G tires with the correct bolt pattern for travel trailer hubs? Did you replace your 14" OEM tires with 15" F or G rated tires? Just curious because this has been mentioned before and F or G tires would seem to be really overkill for trailers originally equipped with 14" tires and for many equipped with 15" tires.

Rims rated for these tires are available or they would never sell these tires. No, I've never owned a trailer with 14" or 15" tires. I' much rather have "overkill" tires than tires loaded to maximum continually. I posted the link for informational purposes only. 15" rims are available with bolt patterns for 14" hubs too.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Maybe, but why would they use a code from the "Directory of National Origin Names & Country Codes" that "is to be used as a reference by Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) and private schools when conducting counts of eligible immigrant students as required by Title III of the No Child Left Behind Act and reporting these data to the California Department of Education (CDE) via the Student National Origin Report (SNOR)." when there is a specific list for tires maintained by the US DOT? If you look at the list that you linked to there is no DE, yet that is one of the abbreviations used by Tire Rack?

OK, Try this one. Germany is still DE.

http://www.1728.org/countries.htm

FastEagle

Everest 363K 38'

Archived