Odd bolt head on Peterbilt

TomMarik

I ordered it (by phone -- web site problems) from Snapon.

For a mere $32, I hope to get the bit this month.

This should be less noisy than reshaping the door frame with a five pound mechanics mallet, my plan G.

Thank you all. I'll let know how it goes.

2004 Peterbilt 385

2004 New Horizon 41 foot fiver

One Trek for chores and one for fun

Unfortunately Ken didn't indicate the size, but it looks like a Phillips #4. That's the biggest I can find. I'll take a look in my bit box, there may be a driver bit that size that never gets used. You can have it.

Posidrive bits have 'pos 2' stamped on them Philips just have a 'P 2' I will confirm in a while when I go to the locker. Posidrive bits have a slight spine down the middle of the gulley. You'd need to Google them up to see the difference but they are not interchangeable.

Where are you located?

R

I'm in the Rio Grande Valley just east of Harlingen.

I'm getting along OK with extra weather stripping on the passenger side. Since I have no passengers, this will do fine for a while.

I have a

"Socket Driver, PHILLIPS®, Standard, #4" on order from SNAPON.

My current plan is to get some Liquid Wrench to the back of the bolts, tap on the bolts to let Liquid Wrench work in, tap the drive in a little to get a good bite, and then carefully try to turn it out.

If that doesn't work I may go with the Queen of Hearts; "Off with their heads!" :D

2004 Peterbilt 385

http://www.grainger.com/product/WESTWARD-Socket-Bit-3LE43?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/3LE42_AS01?$smthumb$

MCALLENBranch #460

921 E. Pecan Blvd..,
MCALLEN, TX 78501-5710

31.83 mi

Biggest I have is a 3 pozi and a 2 Phillips. Labels vary depending on Manufacturer, ie Apex 2, Poz 2, P 2

Look up Acklands Grainger, there is a location in Mcallum not far from you. Their online says they have a # 4 Phillips in a socket. Inventory is a different question but generally these outfits can do an inter store transfer.

Home Depot here only goes up to # 3, I just checked.

Try Grainger.

R

Most folks who play with old motorcycles will have a manual impact driver. I have two, both old Snap-On. Handy little items.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Keep in mind that these things aren't just for removing screws. They also work well on hard to loosen bolts and nuts. A 3/8 impact socket fits that driver too...............

I have carried one on my motorcycles for many years. Never needed it myself, but have used it on a lot of others' bikes.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Driver alone is $66, cheapest 5lb dead blow is about $150.

See if Dave C has one and mail it to you. Mine would take forever with customs both ways.

5 pound ???

Maybe a bit over kill , but if that's what 'you' need ...

Here's a good one for about half that^ and a decent set of dead blow hammers for way less :

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-29200-Hand-Impact-Tool/dp/B0002NYDRG

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-30709-Dead-Hammer-48-Ounce/dp/B00GMN4F3C/ref=lp_553198_1_3?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1446992656&sr=1-3

Goes around , comes around .

He was joking yesterday about pounding the crap out of the door.

Twice this last Summer I was told the HDT was overkill for pulling my 40' TS.

Amazing what can be found out here.

Ah ... I missed the joking . Sorry . I must have been -_- . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

A bit late to the party, from here it looks just like a regular old #4 Phillips. I have a number of machine tools that use both slotted and Phillips head screws in the larger sizes. I agree an impact driver may be needed on the door hinge however, you may be able to put some pressure on a screwdriver and turn it with a wrench. My #4 screwdriver has the same profile as your screws.

Steve 20151108_103330.jpg20151108_103406.jpg

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

• 1 month later...

Thanks all,

I bought the Snap On #4 Phillips socket because it was readily available and it had a spot on my Torx socket holder. I had to use a Torx to loosen the striker post.

With the Snap On #4 Phillips socket, the screws for both doors loosened very easily, without even thinking about using an impact wrench or Liquid Wrench.

2004 Peterbilt 385

Archived