Odd bolt head on Peterbilt

TomMarik

I'm trying to adjust the striker for the doors on my 2004 Peterbilt 385.

The bolt heads look like Number 5 Phillips with a square head that is a little less than 1/4 inch.

I can't fake it with a Number 3 because of the square.

Does anyone know what this head is called and where I might get a tool for it?

2004 Peterbilt 385

2004 New Horizon 41 foot fiver

One Trek for chores and one for fun

Tom, from your description it sounds like it's either a Pozidriv (which appears to have a small square in the center) or a Pozisquare (which I'd never heard of until I looked up the Posidriv for you and found it, and can be driven with a square bit). Check these descriptions out and see if either one looks like what you're working with:

http://www.phillips-screw.com/pozidriv.php

http://www.phillips-screw.com/pozisquare.php

While most folks aren't familiar with them (they look enough like Phillips screws that people tend to use Phillips screwdrivers or bits to drive them, although they shouldn't, as you'll see when you read the info at that first link), Pozidriv fasteners were starting to show up in automotive applications in the late '80s, and I'd guess that's probably what you're dealing with on the Peterbilt. If you have a bit driver, all but the most basic bit sets tend to have Pozidriv bits, marked PZ1 through PZ5.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Phil,

Thank you.

I'm 95% sure that it is Pozisquare.

My first searches were to Amazon.com and Harbor Freight. No luck yet but at least I know what I need

I think I need a #3 Pozisquare bit.

Tom

2004 Peterbilt 385

It is a possibility a Robertson or square drive bit will fit. This is a Canadian screw. Green is a #1, red is a #2 and black is a #3. Phillips and posidrive screws are not quite the same. The Posidrive have a slight ridge in the gulley and the screw or fastener will have a lightly punched star on the head. The drivers are not interchangeable you will get cam out using a Phillips in a Posi fastener.

You friendly but overpriced Snap On tool truck generally has some but not many. The stubby bits for a magnetic driver have horizontal ribs on the driving flutes. It is called an ACR bit. The tend to grab onto the inside of the screw or fastener head better preventing cam out.

Most of the European or hidden cabinet hinges use Posidrive. A lot of Commercial and residential door hinges are able to take a Philips and Robertson# 2, trying to cater to both American and other markets.

https://store.snapon.com/PHILLIPS-174-ACR-174--Bit-PHILLIPS-174-ACR-174-2-P662784.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

I've also seen Torx on some trucks.

Sometimes there is so much paint in the screw head, using the wrong driver will chew the head up enough to make it difficult to get out even with the right driver.

Thank you,

I'll try the Posidrive bit from Amazon, then from Snap On.

However I still can't find a PSD-3 bit.

The head is much bigger than a #3 Phillips.

Plan F is to drill out the head, remove the striker assembly, and remove the remaining stud with a Vicegrip or EasyOut.

In my fifth wheel my cabinets hinges are easy to use a square drive that come with most bit sets.

The Pete door use bolts with heads twice the diameter I haven't seen square drives this big, either.

2004 Peterbilt 385

If you weren't in a big rush, I could send a pack of #3 carbide tip driver bits. The cheap ones that wear out faster and are just steel. Home Depot has them up here in Canadia or Rockler may have them on line.

Found this info below online.

Robertson® Drive Bits

Robertson is famous for the patent of the socket-head screw, widely known today as the square recess. The Robertson system perfectly mates the taper drive bit tip to the square recess punched in the screw. The result is a very precise fit: no cam-out, no slippage in the drive. The drive style manufactured today is known as Recex™ – a combination of Phillips and Robertson drives, allowing convenient use of either drive type. Often considered the woodworker's screw of choice, Robertson screws are commonly used by furniture manufacturers, cabinetmakers and tradespeople

Cabinet hinges are a #1 or green bit, electricians use a #2 or red for putting on electrical boxes. The only use of #3's are the stair and railing guys.

I'm at work heading across the desert. I'll be home around 1 pm CA time and can check my truck for the correct size then. Or check with crazy cotter he may have his truck at his shop.

Just checked my peterbilt. The strike plate is in fact made in Canada. And a (P4) bit does not fit perfectly but good enough to work on mine.

The last time I adjusted it I used a P4 with an impact driver to break it loose.

Not too many people these days have impact drivers. And mine is a California truck not much corrosion. So I know it's not correct but it did work on both the sleeper door and the driver door.

Can you post a couple of pics, one in close and another back a little bit along with something beside the fastener in order to get an idea of the relative size? How much of a hurry are you to fix this? yesterday, today or tomorrow?.

I can call the Peterbilt outfit in Kamloops and ask them what bit they use and where they get them.

R

I have an impact wrench, but how could I get a P4 bit ?

The P4 that I have is a 3/8 ratchet on one end and P4 on the other. It came in a craftsman tool set I have.

The IMPACT DRIVER I'm talking about. Is the old style that is 3/8 drive and you hit the end of it with hammer. That forces th bit into the fastener and turns it a small bit counter clockwise.

You can cheat with a nut driver handle putting light pressure counter clockwise while hitting the end lightly.

DONT USE a air or electric impact.

If they are really stuck, they make a driver tool that uses a handle and bit holder on an air hammer that works very well on rusted in screws..... I also use an impact driver for most of these (Honda rotors mainly) but there are times the air hammer comes out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nu6S-0PS4k

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I hear you loud and clear about no air impact wrenches.

Attached is a picture of the problem bolt head.

The assembly is marked "MADE IN CANADA".

The head diameter is 15mm.

The thread and length is unknown.

NOT in a hurry; I have months to solve the problem.

post-1822-0-95250500-1446823109_thumb.jpg

2004 Peterbilt 385

This is my guess but I was waiting for Kamloops to get back to me.

https://store.snapon.com/PHILLIPS-174-Standard-chrome-3-8--Socket-Driver-PHILLIPS-174-Standard-4-P631491.aspx

https://store.snapon.com/Impact-Drivers-1-2--Set-Impact-Driver-12-pcs--P632111.aspx

This is the impact I'd use, if you can find or borrow one. If you were close to me or my route, you could use mine.

R

Doesn't look like Posi to me.

X2. Driv or square.. nor a mortorq. That screw head almost looks like a JIS #3. Would Canadian's be using JIS?? That doesn't make much sense, but that's exactly what it looks like. IMO

If so, you can just pick up a cheap #3 phillips and grind the tip down until you get a good seat.

Archived