Factory western hauler bed on volvos

Exile

Talked to Volvo dealer about making a hdt into a rv, and he said Volvo made 20 or so of these haulers, and only two sold. Apparently they're in Fort Worth.

19.5" wheels sure make it sit low. Also can be delivered with fifth wheel instead of gooseneck ball.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Ummp9p2Q0

If they gave me one, i wouldnt say no.

Sorry if this was posted earlier, i didn't see it, and did not find it using site search engine.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

I think there was some talk this past spring. I saw one of them on display at MATS--at least that one had pretty light-duty running gear compared to most of the crew here. That they've had that much trouble selling them is new though. Hopefully it doesn't scare them away from catering to an RV crowd.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Talked to Volvo dealer about making a hdt into a rv, and he said Volvo made 20 or so of these haulers, and only two sold. Apparently they're in Fort Worth.

19.5" wheels sure make it sit low. Also can be delivered with fifth wheel instead of gooseneck ball.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Ummp9p2Q0

If they gave me one, i wouldnt say no.

Sorry if this was posted earlier, i didn't see it, and did not find it using site search engine.

If you're serious about building an HDT, talk to my dealer they'll order what you want without hassle. I've saved thousands with my order without any hassle. Only trying to help.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

If you're serious about building an HDT, talk to my dealer they'll order what you want without hassle. I've saved thousands with my order without any hassle. Only trying to help.

Thanks, I'm too cheap to buy new, but when i told him what i would be doing with it, he piped up about these. Said Volvo would not be pursuing this market further, or at least not be making any more of these on speculation. That is what i heard.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Thanks, I'm too cheap to buy new, but when i told him what i would be doing with it, he piped up about these. Said Volvo would not be pursuing this market further, or at least not be making any more of these on speculation. That is what i heard.

I can't divulge how much I paid for mine but it's I think I have a better truck and deal. I couldn't think of too many more options that I would want or need on my 42T780, except adding a Smart Car bed.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Looking at the Ad, they built a nice truck for the horse hauler but not for the RV hauler. No air ride hitch, no room for a smart or motorcycles, actually has the small engine (my little M-11 is tuned to 425hp) for the Volvo line, has the old style headlights, lacking the inverter, and probably lacking a taillight converter similar to the Jackaloppe.

Nice truck with lots of shiny stuff though.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

If someone had a good contact with the Volvo factory, maybe Steve could invite them to the Rally to see what people are looking for in an HDT.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I cannot see the manufacturer getting into this market. Simply not enough market demand for a new truck. I could see a dealer maybe outsourcing a build for a specialty truck.....but even then it is a lot of risk for not much extra margin.

That bed is not a very good design in my opinion, but I don't think it has anything to do with the lack of sales.

Also, the price is in line with an MDT from an aftermarket converter.

I saw that truck at MATS and was not very impressed.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

From my initial discussions and the owner's "peek and see" under the rear of the hitch tunnel, no considerations were made for the possibility that a RV hitch (of some type) might want to go there. Nothing that is insurmountable but it's not going to be a simple "drill and bolt".

I don't think that going after the horse hauling segment was a bad marketing decision, these folks have different requirements than full timers, storage and hauling wise and they have been "conditioned" to those prices by the MDT market and the Sport Chassis rigs.

Appearance by the big wigs before the HDT crowd can be quite "humbling". I remember the time when the new CEO of Teton showed up at the Rally years ago. You guys are just "too educated", have "too many needs" and frankly some of you are just "too cheap", I know I'm one of them.

I have the Western Hauler bed on my dually. And Yes I had to add steel under it for hitch. They are not designed with us in mind.

It's shaping up as an undo, redo Project. The owner said that there are C-channels in that area and around the gooseneck area, that sometimes helps, most of the time it's in the wrong spot. Also there is diamond plate in that area, probably 1/8" or 3/16" at most, not very useful to mount a hitch pulling a New Horizon.

Jack, isn't Sport Chassis a farmed out truck by Freightliner?

Jack, isn't Sport Chassis a farmed out truck by Freightliner?

Phoenix, SportChassis is -- or at least was, at one time -- a division of DTNA.

Years ago I bought a SportChassis takeoff commercial trailer plug/harness/split conduit assembly on eBay, for use if/when I had a body built for my T2000. The"official" eBay seller's name was "Freightliner Specialty Vehicles".

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Can you either post or PM me the name and location of your dealer?

Tim & Cheryl
2015 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3
2009 Volvo 670 D13 I-Shift  “Walter”

Happily Living Somewhere In Nevada

649EF470-4F2A-4D47-8AB9-AFD3462E24F4.jpeg

Archived