Mac's Smart Car Tie Down System

bmzero

I reached out to Mac's (http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/) to come up with a system that will allow me to secure the Smart car or Polaris RZR on the back of the Volvo. I hope that both vehicles will be able to use the same tire baskets. For the Smart car, I will probably end up using an idler for each basket. I'm a big fan of the idlers for low clearance vehicles.

Since the track width of the RZR and Smart car are similar, I will be able to use two rows of their VersaTie track, one under each side of the vehicle. That will give me some flexibility to haul different vehicles (quads, street bikes, etc.) and have tie down points in just the right place.

177_331_large.jpg

Idlers

14_589_large.jpg

Idler in use. On my setup, the ratchet will be on the inside (under the doors of the car), not the outside like this setup.

14_328_large.jpg

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I discovered in investigating the same thing that the track was not rated high enough for my use....I forget what the rating was now, but I went with an alternative because off that.

In fact, even E track is not really rated that high....although it is used in auto movers and race trailers extensively.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Ok Bmzero I'm depending on you for this one you're the Internet king.

I agree with Jack the track you're looking at is not rated high enough and I have a lot of experience with E- track it will be fine for your razor but not a smart car. Also E- track collects a lot of dirt and Debris on the underside between it iand your deck extremely hard to clean out.

I want to know where you get the tracking they use in aircraft like a C-130. It's similar to what you're looking at but five times stronger and larger. I really want to change the system I have for tying down my rhino and my bronco when it's on the deck.

You're the man :) counting on you figure out what it is ? And where we can get it at a reasonable price.

Ok Bmzero I'm depending on you for this one you're the Internet king.

I agree with Jack the track you're looking at is not rated high enough and I have a lot of experience with E- track it will be fine for your razor but not a smart car. Also E- track collects a lot of dirt and Debris on the underside between it iand your deck extremely hard to clean out.

I want to know where you get the tracking they use in aircraft like a C-130. It's similar to what you're looking at but five times stronger and larger. I really want to change the system I have for tying down my rhino and my bronco when it's on the deck.

You're the man :) counting on you figure out what it is ? And where we can get it at a reasonable price.

No pressure there...

We have tied down pickups and suv's with alloy wheels by running a sufficiently rated strap through the wheel spokes at about 8 o'clock on the front and 4:30 o'clock on the rear wheels. We use a cloth softener so the strap cannot chafe the wheel finish.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

We have tied down pickups and suv's with alloy wheels by running a sufficiently rated strap through the wheel spokes at about 8 o'clock on the front and 4:30 o'clock on the rear wheels. We use a cloth softener so the strap cannot chafe the wheel finish.

We did the same hauling the smart in our toy hauler. Car stayed put up the Alaska highway. Can't say the same for a folding chair that got against the front bumper........ :(

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Looked at the aircraft track system...pretty cool. The best part though was the description. Ya gotta love engineers; they make up words that sound more technical. i.e. "used in the securement of cargo" rather than "used to secure cargo" Even the spell checker says "What??"

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

That is what I am using to tie down my smart. The track is called "L Track" and is rated higher than "E Track". It's the same tie down system we use on 747s. I just figured if it's good enough for a 747 freighter, it's good enough for a Volvo and a smart.

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

There are references to lots of these parts in my "Smartcar Hauler Parts" little article on the things I looked at for my build. L track is in there, and I have used it for many things.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I like the look of the angled L- track. But still don't think I would trust it for a car.

Mac's VersaTie Series 2 system (similar in design to generic L-Track, but machined in house at Mac's) is rated at 10,800lb for a direct pull. Each double ring stud is rated at 5k, so each corner of the car carries a 10k rating (two double-stud rings per tire). The key here is the attachment points. Mac's pre-drill's their VersaTie for 4" or 6" connection points (based on series). The rating assumes adequate steel backing. I will be using .025" steel (technically, it's .0243, but who's counting).

I have chosen to go with Mac's because I have seen their systems used by quite a few of my friends that haul significantly heavier (and more expensive) vehicles all over the country for competition events and car shows. I'm betting on their product being better because they control the quality using American made extrusions and in-house machining.

What is the military using?? I haven't looked in years but I thought it was like the L track but much heavier.

Mac's has four different styles of VersaTie (L-Track). They vary in their profile and weight rating.

You can see the different styles at - http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/versatie-aluminum-track-series2-96/VersaTie

Series 1 (ie. standard L-Track, which is probably what you saw Bronco)

VT-TRACK-1_300.jpg

Series 2 (my choice). You can see the difference in the extrusion, resulting in the higher load rating, even with slightly lower profile (series 2 - .430" tall, series 1 - .435" tall).

VT-TRACK-2_300.jpg

Here's the load rating comparison chart.

21658581106_259e3d6bf3_o.jpg

After making the final decision on the Series 2 VersaTie track system, I can add it to the bed drawing. The blue components are the VersaTie tracks. They are inset slightly below the bed surface. That will allow cargo to slide easily. The spacer is added above the custom C-channel to align the two bed plates with the 2x4 steel tubing. The spacer will be spot welded to the C-channel, hence the reason for the gap between the VersaTie track and the spacer. The bed surface plates will be bolted to the joists with countersunk bolts.

cbd8077a-8a0f-488c-9341-edb3129e306a-s.j

bc2e2f4d-eaf7-4c9c-8d32-d732f384979e-s.j
Having the track below the surface of the bed will also allow me to use the Mac's threaded studs to mount my fork clamps for the motorcycles directly above the track.
VT-2500_300.jpg

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Idlers

14_589_large.jpg

Idler in use. On my setup, the ratchet will be on the inside (under the doors of the car), not the outside like this setup.

14_328_large.jpg

Do you guys have any other suggestions?

I used the EXACT same method for strapping down race cars in my stacker trailer. Only I used E-Track instead.......Worked awesome.

Archived