Windows 10 problems

tma

Finally installed Windows 10 this morning, and that is when the problems started. I have been using Microsoft Money Plus for my banking for about a year. Before that I used Microsoft Money 2006 for a long time with out any problems. Now it will not open, it said that I had to install IE 6 before it would work. Found IE 11 and Microsoft Money Plus still doesn't work, tried to install M.M. 2006 and got the same thing. This program has all my banking history and I can't do anything with or without this program.I don't want to lose all the information that is in this program. I do have a a back-up copy from when my computer was running 8.1. Thanks for any help and I'm thinking real hard about updating my Windows 7 now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally installed Windows 10 this morning, and that is when the problems started. I have been using Microsoft Money Plus for my banking for about a year. Before that I used Microsoft Money 2006 for a long time with out any problems. Now it will not open, it said that I had to install IE 6 before it would work. Found IE 11 and Microsoft Money Plus still doesn't work, tried to install M.M. 2006 and got the same thing. This program has all my banking history and I can't do anything with or without this program.I don't want to lose all the information that is in this program. I do have a a back-up copy from when my computer was running 8.1. Thanks for any help and I'm thinking real hard about updating my Windows 7 now.

This is a perfect example of why I don't upgrade my operating system just because an upgrade is available. If your current operating system is working and doing everything you need, and your programs are all working and doing what you need, why change?

I have lot's of programs on my computer which I use either daily or periodically. Some of them are old games I like. A few are older versions of productivity software which totally fulfill my needs. Others are small programs which came with hardware I have, like for my GPS, truck tuner, or camera, etc. If I upgrade the OS, I run the risk of losing functionality of some of these programs. Just not worth it.

If it ain't broke, I don't try to fix it.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Try the Sunset Edition of Money - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20738.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I have done that and it still is giving me an error message to install IE 6. I have read about hacking the reg., but I'm not that good to try that. It is a pain in the hindend after Windows 10 installer said I wouldn't have any problem with the programs in my computer. Thanks for your reply

This is why I don't hang on obsolete or heavily aging software. The world it operates in is changing in ways the developers could never have anticipated. The ongoing process of tightening OS architectural and operational loopholes to protect privacy and security renders useless the necessary workarounds and shortcuts that aged software often took just to make it perform better.

Change is inevitable until end of life. The afterlife has no updates. I prefer to switch-up while I still have the time to do the research and make the mistakes and fix them. Waiting until it is unavoidable before updating/upgrading just makes a mess of the process and takes away most of my choices. If software was designed in implemented so perfectly that it would run forever with no more problems, there would be no reason for updates and upgrades and hardware would never fail.

I have always preferred MS Money to quicken, Managing your Money and the other such personal finance packages. But the clear writing on the wall for me was when problems and missing functions persisted over the last 3 versions. That said this is already not supported and good luck with your "stuff" in the future.

I made the switch to Quicken fully armed for bear but realizing that whatever problems Intuit would choose to lay on me, I would be one among many that would eventually get them fixed. No such options would ever exist for MS Money once it went out of date.

I understand your frustration but I really suggest you look for a current alternative, bite the bullet and the learning curve. You will spend less time in frustration and at least have some options for the future. If your financial data is so important to you, why not support it with something that has a future? I really expect that this is only 1 of many potential times that this scenario will be repeated as the world around your programs and OS keeps evolving. There is a reason one just doesn't see many buggy whips anymore.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

There have been several articles written that say MS is dropping MS Money and Streets and Trips, and will not be supporting them. Quicken 2012 still works as this is supported by Intuit. You might be able to import your Money file into Quicken.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Street & Trips support ended July 14, 2015

Microsoft Money Plus will not be available for purchase after June 30, 2009. All purchased Money Plus products must be activated prior to Jan. 31, 2011

How to make MS Money work in W10

Do a Register change patch page or Zip download

My quicken 2010 works OK with W10.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Well I guess that puts the squash on Money. No support for 6 years and no activation for the last 4 years. My DWs PC has S&T installed and it survived the upgrade to Win 10 fine. My S&T did not survive. It might be because I left AVG enabled during the upgrade whereas I disabled AVG on her PC. MS does recommend disabling all AV apps during the upgrade. If I get myself an ext optical drive then I will reinstall S&T on my PC.

Just upgraded the 32 bit truck computer to Windows 10. That is 4 successful upgrades.

We run Streets & Trips 2013 and it runs fine for us.

We stopped using MS Money years ago when the online bill paying function was terminated. We switched to Quicken under duress but no other quality software was available.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Hi folks, 1st post for me, just joined RVnetwork, I'm a computer guru.

Microsoft has always had problems when they launch any of there OS's. Most Banks, websites software are behind THERE curve, drivers ect.

Here is what i tell my clients, If you have win 7 keep it. 8 an 8.1 if they just do email, facebook an general surfing web keep it for now. altho win 10 is

half 7/half 8 it will be easy an hard to understand at same time.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

My bank site works just fine on Win 10 and MS Edge. The only problem is Edge will not offer to remember my banking and credit card sites. This is a security measure I would prefer having an opt out from. Since Edge is not yet complete, I'm sure there will be changes coming down the pike.

My credit union will not work with quicken, so it is Microsoft Money or nothing. I don't want to change banks over a computer program. So for now I went back to 8.1 and I'll seat it out and see what happens in the future. S & T worked fine when I ran 10. Maybe in time this will work out or I'll just run 10 on my older computer and call it good. Thanks for all your replys.

My credit union will not work with quicken, so it is Microsoft Money or nothing. I don't want to change banks over a computer program.

For a Credit Union to only work with a product several years out of support should not pass a bank audit,

You may not want to change credit union but you sure should complain

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

My credit union will not work with quicken, so it is Microsoft Money or nothing. I don't want to change banks over a computer program. So for now I went back to 8.1 and I'll seat it out and see what happens in the future. S & T worked fine when I ran 10. Maybe in time this will work out or I'll just run 10 on my older computer and call it good. Thanks for all your replys.

While you are "sitting" you might want to drill down into your bank's connectivity. Intuit is the primary architect of the banking information exchange system and one (along with MS and IBM) of the creators of the .OFX format for information exchange which MS Money used. Intuit proprietized that into their .QFX file format which is almost the same but expanded.

I have 3 credit unions scattered across the country and they were not eager to get on the Quicken compatibilty train due to Intuit's initial demand for payments based on a bank's total assets rather than actual online users. That changed a long time ago, though and the Financial Exchange requirement became a federal requirement for financial institutions.

For Quicken, they dropped the .QIF file format several versions ago. It was always problematic, buggy, incomplete and frequently caused duplicate transactions to be imported as well as transactions appearing in the wrong accounts in MS money, Quicken and other personal banking apps.

One thing I always liked about MS Money was their automatic importing of transactions from the banks. Quicken now does it way better, safer and in the background, if one so chooses, so when the program is started up, the new transactions are already there to be resolved.

There are now multiple ways to download transactions from an institution. The old equivalent to the .QIF process is a manual download of transactions by selecting specific accounts and dates to pull from. Choices are always on the bank's site as to what format (usually, Quicken, Quickbooks (yeah, its a little different, too) and CSV or MS money. Few still offer the .QIF format because it is so problematic.

Automated transaction import is usually available through the WebExpress, WebConnect or one other protocol that I forget the name of. The difference is in whether you can use the One click update function in Quicken or must manually pull down an import file for each account. I still have one of my CUs that I have to do it this way for and it is really, really aggrivating so I have pretty much let that one go to a zero balance and keep it for a backup bank, only.

Today, there is very little need to have to actually walk into a bank to do transactional business and since most smaller institutions use common banking datacenters rather than their own in house system, there is little difference between them. Most likely, Intuit software is running the datacenter, anyway.

MS Money was very buggy when it's support stopped and, to me, the risk to my information was just too great to keep using it. Quicken was as bad but has greatly improved and does automatically update the program with fixes and improvements just like any other truly conscientious developer. I finally don't have to buy a new version to get anything fixed but the older the version, the less likely that newer fixes can be applied to the base software.

Lets not forget that Microsoft offered to buy Quicken from Intuit not long before it discontinued MS Money. I think there is a lot of implication in that about what MS knew about Money's problems and we don't.

I have formally submitted a number of problems to Quicken and actually seen them fixed in the same release. This is something that never happened with MS Money in all the years I used it.

I really hope those that are desperately hanging onto their old financial management software because they think it is better will really do their own research and testing for a newer alternative. Time is a harsh corrosive to all static software in the evolution of the cyber universe. Just because something has not failed does not mean it can't and the longer it remains static the more catastrophic the damages are likely to be when it does. There is a reason why automobiles now have mandatory safety belts and air bags, crush zones, ABS braking systems and more and none of these changes are for esthetic reasons.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

I find it very difficult to believe there is a bank or credit union that insists on using ONLY Money. If they do, that fact would really bother me. What level of security are they running, and what are their financial practices. I think if you will investigate fully you will find out that Quicken will work.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We use Quicken and just had an experience with our online banking that illustrates Bud's post. We bank with USAA Bank and are accustomed to scanning checks as deposits with immediate access to the funds. We are now living in our RV for a month until our new home is finished. We do have a temporary cable and Internet to our 5th wheel until they can connect the new home. We have our tablets and a laptop and are using our cable modem and Wireless router from the house. However, we do not have room for the multifunction network laser printer scanner. So last week we actually snail mailed a small check to the bank. It took a week to clear! My wife was checking online daily and when she finally saw it clear, we both got a giggle over how we are used to immediate gratification via technology. Many folks don't scan checks to banks, and we do have our retirement and VA Disability funds directly deposited, but use a debit card for the rest. I wrote one check in the last two years. And we certainly would not go back.

Sticking with unsupported programs for financial transactions online also invites hackers and crackers as all software has vulnerabilities if targeted. Four year's non support?

My FIL is a true Luddite. He refuses to have a cell phone, computer, or anything other than the 40" LCD flat TV we talked our MIL into trying. They use paper checks, billing, neither has ever had an Email address, and they do just fine.

We are cutting the TV cable and going all OTA as well as Streaming. But no, we are not wiling to cut the Internet cord. Staying with old software reminds of them too. It is only one step back to doing it their way. Lots do.

I am going to get an XP machine to load all my Outlook express emails on. I have all of them from 1995 to current that are business or actual friends. As well as all my contacts, many of which have, surprisingly not changed. the OE emails would not transfer to Outlook without buying software. I just kept the hard drive from that computer and for several years now have had no reason to access it. But I did not avoid upgrading to Win 7, then Win 8/8.1. I waited until Win 7 Service pack one to go there. Then I went to Windows 8/8.1 on all but one desktop and a now sold backup desktop when released and immediately bought a Windows Surface RT tablet, sold it in a month when it had no email support and got a full Windows tablet which with touch made our transition to 8/8.1 very smooth.

If I'd let software programs hold me back, I'd still be running my first word processor, Wordstar, and DOS.

Having said that, I am waiting for at least six months to upgrade to Windows 10. I will buy a Surface 3 (not Pro) or other vendor's Windows 10 tablets with full HD and with full size USB 3 ports among other specs including the new z-8770 Atom processor, and 4GB of RAM.

I checked with Best Buy and see that they have no pre-loaded Windows 10 Native Surface tablets yet, so I may order one from The Microsoft Store. Then, as with 8, I can try it without conflicts from hardware/software conflicts. Then If I don't like it I can sell it fast and stay with 8.1. on all but my wife's Windows 7 machine which runs Quicken just fine.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV: I took that newer Acer 8.1 computer and upgraded the Windows 10. Downloaded from the Windows icon on the lower right of my screen. Went without a hitch; but Edge isn't up to par yet! So downloaded IE11 and use it mostly. I alawys liked Chrome so use it more because it's lighting fast speed. LOL. I have 30 days to go back to 8.1 which will be the 29th of this month. :rolleyes::blink::lol:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I upgraded my Surface Tablet over a week ago and got it all tweaked like I wanted, no problems. Upgraded desktop yesterday and not as good an experience. Desktop was all mixed up, icons too large, and image did not cover all the monitor. Changed resolution and icon size and got it so I use it. Could not see all three email accounts when I open up mail and had trouble adding a POP account. About ready to roll back to 8.1 but waited.

Logged on this morning and desktop looks just like 8.1 did, and had a download for NVIDIA so installed drivers for 10. Finally got the POP email account that says it is added but still have not seen all accounts when I open the mail app. Surface shows all and easy to open any email, just like in 8.1.

If anyone finds how to show all email accounts please post.

tjones1935

If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.

Pieere,

Glad you got it easily.

Tjones,

That is what I am worried about, especially on my big Dell 27"AIO. I am completely happy with 8.1. And now, being between houses I'll wait at least until my new office is set up and we are settled in a bit, which will be in about two months if they stay on schedule in this heat. The dirt work and concrete are done.

I don't need to mess while we are in transition.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Amen, RV. No mess while one foot is still in the boat. Your potential recovery scenarios are not very clean in your transient existence right now.

My display came up like that, too. The intial video driver it installed was only VGA but I attribute that to the fact that, as stated earlier, a DVD does not contain a whole system to install. it only contains the baseline core and then Win 10 works out what to add/change or update as it discovers it. I tried to beat the system when I realized the NVidia drivers were not fully in place and did find a new NVIDIA driver version on their website and downloaded it.

It took 2 attempts to get it in right because there was a latent problem coming from the win 8.1 that was upgraded. On the Clean new partition install I did from the same DVD there was no such latent problem but I did have the same initial video thingy. On that system, it fixed it all by itself so I did not really need to do the "old school" hands on diagnosis and repair. Had I been a little patient and allowed WIndows to finish getting its ducks in a row, I really think it would have worked it all out, too.

Amen, RV. No mess while one foot is still in the boat. Your potential recovery scenarios are not very clean in your transient existence right now.

My display came up like that, too. The intial video driver it installed was only VGA but I attribute that to the fact that, as stated earlier, a DVD does not contain a whole system to install. it only contains the baseline core and then Win 10 works out what to add/change or update as it discovers it. I tried to beat the system when I realized the NVidia drivers were not fully in place and did find a new NVIDIA driver version on their website and downloaded it.

It took 2 attempts to get it in right because there was a latent problem coming from the win 8.1 that was upgraded. On the Clean new partition install I did from the same DVD there was no such latent problem but I did have the same initial video thingy. On that system, it fixed it all by itself so I did not really need to do the "old school" hands on diagnosis and repair. Had I been a little patient and allowed WIndows to finish getting its ducks in a row, I really think it would have worked it all out, too.

RV: I took that newer Acer 8.1 computer and upgraded the Windows 10. Downloaded from the Windows icon on the lower right of my screen. Went without a hitch; but Edge isn't up to par yet! So downloaded IE11 and use it mostly. I alawys liked Chrome so use it more because it's lighting fast speed. LOL. I have 30 days to go back to 8.1 which will be the 29th of this month. :rolleyes::blink::lol:

Why would you have to download IE 11 to Win 10 when it already resides in Win 10? In fact if you use the lines in the upper right corner (More Actions) there is a link to Open in IE. If you then go to Internet Options, Programs you can choose to use IE as default.

Archived