Windows 10 problems

tma

So I upgraded my Win 7 Pro laptop tonight to Win 10 Pro and it all went well. It evens runs my 2002 version of Quickens. However when I go to power setting and hit the shut down button, it will not shut down the machine? It says shutting down on the screen then the screen goes black the laptop power button never goes out and then the screen says welcome and comes back on. Did I turn something off that I should not have in all the settings I turned off? I don't remember seeing anything that said will not turn off computer?

Dennis

Update: 08:45 8/17/15: For me holding the shift button down and hitting the shut down button does the trick. It powered the laptop off, so if you have this problem try it. This issue was not a problem on DW's newer ASUS laptop.

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an old 2005 W/Vista computer and upgraded to win/7 Ultimate. I had the W/10 Pro version installed on this and it would not activate, I tried to revert it back but its message said that the W/10 Ultimate was not in my system. :wacko::wacko: When I downloaded I put 10 on a USB stick from an image I downloaded on the Microsoft site. Yesterday a friend helped me and we reloaded W/10 from a backup and system image of W/7 Ultimate.

I am using it this morning; but now it has been crazy downloading updates! Hope I have success. :D

If you have a Vista Computer don't try to update to W/10 unless you want to purchase the upgrade!!! Of course I read the ZDnet article after the damage. Just pleased that Microsoft did not make my computer unusable! ;);)

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

There have been a lot of updates to Win 10 since the ISO file was released. During my installation there were over 1.3 GB updates, with many since then. As problems crop up MS seems to be fixing and adding features, fixing bugs, etc. For example Edge originally would not save my stored PWs through a reboot. Now it stores the entered PWs fine. As with any new OS, there are some problems. There is no way MS could test the OS for all PCs with all the different configurations and all the different apps people use. That is one reason why MS has opened the beta testing to everyone because the FB from various non-PC professionals helps MS to fix some of the problems prior to RTM.

So far, on our 2 PCs, Win 10 has worked fine. Some of the Win 10 apps. that were working well, seem to be less polished with the Win 10 versions. For example my MS Solitaire collection has fewer options available yet, and are listed as Coming Soon. I just loaded Win 10 on my sister's PC. My wife and I use Win 10 home (they both came with Win 8.1 Home when we bought them), but when I started the upgrade from my Flash Drive on her PC I discovered she had Win 8.1 Pro installed. The installation asked for a key. I suspect because of the wrong edition the installation was looking for. I then downloaded the Win 10 Pro ISO file and used the MS Media Creator to burn the ISO file to one of her Flash Drives. Win 10 installed correctly. I reinstalled Classic Shell for her and she could not tell the difference.

All 3 installs took a while, but the OS worked properly right out of the box so to speak. All 3 PCs have a separate data partition for all data, which was unaffected by the upgrade. In each case the Win 10 installation chose the appropriate data folders on the second partition and just worked. I used to ALWAYS advocate and use the Clean Install routine, but moving from Win 7 to Win 8 and Win 8.1, and then to Win 10 I used the upgrade routine and everything worked as expected.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Unlike the DW's 8.1 machine which I thought was 8.1 Pro it turned out not to be, however my Win 7 HP laptops was the Pro version and when I upgraded to Win 10 yesterday it upgraded my HP laptop to Win 10 Pro without a hitch. The only issue is still the shut down problem. The folks on MS Forum told me about the work around of using the shift key along with the shut down key and that is working fine for now. So I have now done both a Win 8.1 Home version and a Win 7 Pro Version with no problems.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

The shutdown problem is quite common. It is caused by hybrid shutdown, that is really nothing more than hibernation. It is one more trick Microsoft uses to make people think there computers start faster. You can disable hybrid shutdown from the power settings screen in the control panel or open an admin command prompt and type "powercfg -h off".

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

• 4 months later...

If you upgraded to Windows 10 MS street and trips works, if you bought a new computer with windows 10 MS street and trips does not work, that is my experience.

2021 Winnebago 26t 27'1" LONG, TWO SLIDES, WALK A ROUNF BED  August delivery Picked up on the 8th

2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (toad)

2013 F150 EcoBoost

Escapee #97975

WIT Club #157495

Evergreen Winnies

1st RV 2010 Wildwood 5er bunk house

2nd RV used 2001 Itasca Suncrusier

3rd RV Winnebago 22R

4th & finial RV 2021 MW 26T Ford 450 Chassis with the new 7.3lT V8

Archived