Progress on our Peterbilt

CrazyCooter

You would probably be ok lengthwise. The big challenge would be casters heavy enough to handle the tongue weight.

The other thing you may need to consider is how much of a stinger effect that will give you in a turn with the overhang of the truck bed. That design of a dolly places your pivot point at the fifth wheel on the dolley.

Edited by VegasFlyer

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only joking......no way the trailer is up for 4k hitch weight.

I'm already over length as it is right now and tail swing with the hitch 7' behind the axle is where I'm comfortable. If it makes it happen, I could probably slide my hitch platform back 3-4" and just re-drill I'll the holes in it.....not much point if it doesn't fix it though.

I'll put the Jeep back up there one of the days and try some stuff like dropping air pressure, strapping the front end down, rear axle up on ramps, dumping bags on the truck, etc.... to see how much it affects the situation.

Maybe a couple of small changes will do the trick.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I'm already over length as it is right now and tail swing with the hitch 7' behind the axle is where I'm comfortable. If it makes it happen, I could probably slide my hitch platform back 3-4" and just re-drill I'll the holes in it.....not much point if it doesn't fix it though.

I'll put the Jeep back up there one of the days and try some stuff like dropping air pressure, strapping the front end down, rear axle up on ramps, dumping bags on the truck, etc.... to see how much it affects the situation.

Well, in the words of the ex-con Martha Stewart, That's a good thing! Lol. I was hoping you were kidding, but ya never know......lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I am experiencing the same problem. I would like to get some ideas on how to build some ramps that not only elevate the vehicle near the headache rack but also slide the vehicle forward towards the front of the truck to gain an extra foot. Maybe we could use the same design.

You may end up doing a combination of items:

Can you raise the hitch up effectively raising the front of the trailer and still get over the hitch with the jeep?

The top rear of the jeep actually looks lower than the front from your pictures, can you drive on forward? Could you easily remove front which mount to move vehicle closer to cab if you drove it on?

Wrknvr drives his up a pretty steep ramp to gain more clearance and then uses the space under the ramps for additional storage.

DSC04806.jpg

DSC04805.jpg

Be careful about just strapping it down by the frame. We strap the rear of our van down in our toy hauler to both the frame and the axle. The frames straps us to break all the time and now they just loosen up on occasion many because the even though we compress the suspension some the van can still bounce downward and then when it comes back up it hits hard on the straps. We are actually seeing our D-rings that hold those straps are starting to pull up though the floor. We have to add some more reinforcement to the underside.

Dave

You may need to do some good measurements and then have someone put it in CAD and try different approaches so you are not wasting abound od money or time on items that would not work.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Thanks for the tips Dave!

I don't think ramps or driving on forward is going the help anything as the winch isn't really a consideration since it's well below the cap of the 5er. The only thing removable from the front of the Jeep is the tow bar mounts or about 2" worth. No way I'm willing to build a steep ramp like the one pictured as it's just to prohibitive for the other majority of uses I have for the bed. The Jeep hauling while towing this 5er is just a distant 7th, 8th, or farther consideration.

I plan to tie to tie down the tires with baskets, but also to the front of the frame possibly so the bouncing while traveling will be minimized while netting 2-3" there. My next plan is to lower the air pressure since I have 10" total of sidewall on the bottom...maybe 5" would do it? I would then make "jackstands" that the axle would ride on when the pressure is dropped so I would still have a solid tie down. The next option would be pockets in the bed......Could get 4-7" there.

Cant raise the hitch on the trailer or the truck. Everything is narrowly optimized/compromised for use on both the Pete and the Dodge.

I just need to bend/twist with the 5er hooked up and see how that funky cap design is going to react.......

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

In the second set of pics it looks to me like it is going to miss the hood of the Jeep as the trailer articulates. It can't get closer as you swing through a turn than it is straight ahead, right?

So the only thing is "dip clearance" where the trailer and truck bend "in the middle" on the horizontal plane - like an open drain across a lane or "The World's Steepest Approaches" which are found at fuel stations because big long vehicles hardly ever go in and out of those...

A test with an observer on the ground who knows to holler "Whoa!" before sheet metal contacts fiberglass would be in order ... um drive the jeep to the ditch location then load it for the test or you might already have "clearance" when you get there :lol::lol: :lol:

Front wheel pockets sound like an excellent idea if you only need an inch or three...

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Just pulling out of my back yard is worse that anything I'll encounter on the pavement. My suspension shackles have been known to flip if I pull out unloaded.

The truck's hitch height, wheelbase, and overhang add a strange dynamic when compared to my pickup.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I tried searching for wrknvr on this site to get more info about his ramps, is he on this site or another?

Pop over to the test post section. He has a few more pics of his set-up. The Resource Guide has a few, too.

Not Vern's rig, but similar design

Similar, but longer.

Man, I forget how many cool trucks we've had on here.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I know what my answer to this suggestion would be, but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway.... What about cutting a pocket into the front of the trailer to clear the front of the Jeep?

I know, fiberglass mods are not fun.

Interesting suggestion! Maybe just a roadtest to create the proper clearance, then come back to the shop for the final prep, cleanup, and paint! If I was planning on keeping the trailer, I probably would consider this...... Thinking we can do without the garage now, so considering a regular shorter 5er.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

The nose of our Carriage trailer goes straight up from the pin prolly many others that do the same without the aero shape. I don't think your 385 will notice a flat or aero front trailer all that much :D

BUT

where will you carry the bikes ? :o

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

The nose of our Carriage trailer goes straight up from the pin prolly many others that do the same without the aero shape. I don't think your 385 will notice a flat or aero front trailer all that much :D

BUT

where will you carry the bikes ? :o

Selling off most of the toys these days....it's been almost 2 years since I rode my dualsport and was 2 years for the atv too. Over 3 years for the wife's atv.

Time to downsize the depreciating fleet and reduce funding to the hungry social programs this state supports!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Interesting suggestion! Maybe just a roadtest to create the proper clearance, then come back to the shop for the final prep, cleanup, and paint! If I was planning on keeping the trailer, I probably would consider this...... Thinking we can do without the garage now, so considering a regular shorter 5er.

If your thinking about a new trailer How about a travel trailer instead of a 5th wheel? I have thought about it but haven't found one I like yet. I also still need the garage for the wife's rhino or bronco.

Edited by broncohauler

If your thinking about a new trailer How about a travel trailer instead of a 5th wheel? I have thought about it but haven't found one I like yet. I also still need the garage for the wife's rhino or bronco.

The thought has crossed my mind to switch back, but it seems like finding a nice TT is just about impossible. I'm figuring on having to purchase one more POS consumer grade RV before we retire and step up to something with any quality built in......assuming there are any manufacturers left that Thor didn't acquire and destroy!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

The thought has crossed my mind to switch back, but it seems like finding a nice TT is just about impossible. I'm figuring on having to purchase one more POS consumer grade RV before we retire and step up to something with any quality built in......assuming there are any manufacturers left that Thor didn't acquire and destroy!

I have said before and I will again.

I wish someone would build a toyhualer that is based more on semi parts. Frame, axles, brakes and tires. BUT at a price a blue collar working man can afford.

I understand we use to be a small group. But you see more and more HDT and MDT trucks every day.

I'm on the fence right now.....

If I like the HDT thing, I may start looking for a moving trailer to build at a later date. Boonhauler is itching for another project as his is nearing completion!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I'm on the fence right now.....

If I like the HDT thing, I may start looking for a moving trailer to build at a later date. Boonhauler is itching for another project as his is nearing completion!

If (*when*) I build my own trailer, I'm going to start from scratch. When I started looking at the compromises I would have to make in the design to use an existing drop deck trailer, I decided against it. To each his own, but I don't see the chassis and suspension fabrication being a major hurdle, in comparison to the rest of such a project.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I have said before and I will again.

I wish someone would build a toyhualer that is based more on semi parts. Frame, axles, brakes and tires. BUT at a price a blue collar working man can afford.

I understand we use to be a small group. But you see more and more HDT and MDT trucks every day.

Well having something for the masses and having a custom built trailer are two different animules. If you want real quality and exactly what you are after, Space Craft, Forks Continental, or New Horizons will build till your wallet screams. On the other hand DRV, makes a great coach and they just reintroduced their verion of the toy hauler. They will also modify and do some customized design. I dont think Thor is a bad company. Airstream is doing fine, they also made an interesting toy hauler called the Pan America. Lots of options, you just need to pick your poison.

I'd probably have one of the custom frame makers build the trailer underpinnings and then do the rest myself If I was going the "build from ground up" route. You can specify the suspension, etc. Then let them do the heavy work of the frame. Spacecraft and Forks will build you a semi-design on their custom frame. Spacecraft would probably build out the shell for you and let you do the interior and infrastructure. That way you would have a weather tight box to start with.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

We've been actively looking for a toy hauler, and I'd narrowed down to the Newmar X-Aire and the Carriage C-Force. Either is hard to find in nice condition, but there's a few out there. We'll likely take a trip this winter and try to make a trade somewhere. Once in a while you'll find one with all the right stuff, but they're scarce, and usually on the wrong side of the country.

For us, buying new just doesn't make sense. We aren't in a position to spend enough time on the road to justify the costs, yet. But a gently used unit with solid structures, but some small bruises, is fine.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

If (*when*) I build my own trailer, I'm going to start from scratch. When I started looking at the compromises I would have to make in the design to use an existing drop deck trailer, I decided against it. To each his own, but I don't see the chassis and suspension fabrication being a major hurdle, in comparison to the rest of such a project.

zero,

Don't look now........but........you have already started your 'Dream Trailer" build........you just do not know it yet.........unlike most folks who start with building the trailer........you started out........building the hitch first...... :rolleyes:

Drive on.........(Follow my build.......trailer next??)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

zero,

Don't look now........but........you have already started your 'Dream Trailer" build........you just do not know it yet.........unlike most folks who start with building the trailer........you started out........building the hitch first...... :rolleyes:

Drive on.........(Follow my build.......trailer next??)

Ha, you're probably right, but the trailer is a few steps down the road. First, I have to build the bed on the truck. The trailer is at least a couple of years out.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.