Progress on our Peterbilt

CrazyCooter

Keep an eye on the screws. My deck is welded 3/16 but the center section between frame rails is screwed and the screws keep coming loose from frame flex.

Your correct the former owner did a great job. And did most of the hard work for you.

:) Edited by GoldRush

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good. Is it correct that you went from a taller ratio of 3:08 to 3:36? It must have been lugging it with the 3:08 so when you went to the 3:36 it must have gotten it into the power band more to help improve the fuel mileage. Most people would have tried gong the other way to improve mileage.

Dave

3.90 to 3.36

I'll be in Calistoga and Petaluma over Labor Day weekend for the USAC Sprint Car races. I'll try to swing by afterwards to checkout the progress.

That would be a long side trip, but you are more than welcome!

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Maybe use anti-seize compound on the screw threads ?

... said the guy from road salt country

That will not keep them tight.....

Looking good. The solar panel will help a lot if you are running off your starting batteries for your hotel loads.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

On the screws, blue loctite will hold. Red will require heat to remove. Kept a lot of logging saws together with blue. That is a lot of vibration also. Be sure it is clean first.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Keep an eye on the screws. My deck is welded 3/16 but the center section between frame rails is screwed and the screws keep coming loose from frame flex.

Your correct the former owner did a great job. And did most of the hard work for you.

Put a piece of nylon fishing line along side the screw as you install it. (Farmer's locking thread.) For bigger thread, a bit of weed eater string works well. Or shave a sliver off a nylon zip tie.

For a short term fix, a thick blade of grass or stem from a leaf will work until you can get proper supplies.

Hey, when yer stuck out in the field with limited resources, you can get pretty creative.

Glenn's correct about the blue loc-tite. And you can get it as a waxy paste now, sort of like big chap-stick. John Deere dealers carry it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Put a piece of nylon fishing line along side the screw as you install it. (Farmer's locking thread.) For bigger thread, a bit of weed eater string works well. Or shave a sliver off a nylon zip tie.

For a short term fix, a thick blade of grass or stem from a leaf will work until you can get proper supplies.

Hey, when yer stuck out in the field with limited resources, you can get pretty creative.

Glenn's correct about the blue loc-tite. And you can get it as a waxy paste now, sort of like big chap-stick. John Deere dealers carry it.

Love the old farm fixes that's just cool.

Another PLUS ONE on this... it works very well.

I was heavy into Ruger Handguns for ~45 years and we used this trick for years...screws never came loose.

In fact Ruger now uses what they call Nylock screws that actually have a piece of nylon fixed into a groove on the threads..

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

All great suggestions! Probably use just locktite on final assembly as it's quick and easy.

Still using the starting batteries for now, but I have a newer 8D AGM that I thought about about mounting when I get around to installing the Magnum MS2012 in there. Really having a had time deciding what to do with the inside. With only one single sized bunk it kind of limits me to one person for sleeping, so not really a candidate for weekend trips as a couple.

I figure get all the mechanical stuff dialed, equipment/tool boxes installed, and just use it for a season. What mods need to happen will be obvious by then...... Having such a difficult time waiting since I have been saving stuff for years in case of this occasion! For a while I wasn't sure IF this truck thing was going to happen.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Picked up a few bargain goodies this week!

IDK if any of you are familiar with the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, but I have been installing these on motorhomes for clients the past 20+ years. This one was offered to me by a customer who had to let his Monaco go. The cylinder is correct, but I'll

have to measure the bracket...

20150722_130818_zpst0a67uze.jpg

This one is obvious....Another used low hour score. The previous owner added a pipe extension to hook it to flex pipe as it was mounted in the front of his 5er.

20150722_130847_zpsgsplalxg.jpg

Spent the morning painting the bottom sides of the deck plates and framing. Hoping the paint will be cured and I can drop them back on and begin drilling/countersinking screw holes tomorrow.

20150724_122113_zpsatvwqcie.jpg

20150724_122158_zpsi2ecl7cm.jpg

Anyone replaced the hood pivot bushings? Wondering how heavy the hood is and what the best procedure is as mine are toast and sometimes makes the hood rub the cab. Got the bushings today, so put that on the list!

Edited by CrazyCooter

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

It had crossed my mind to do it that way, but I'd probably have to pull the bumper to gain access to the bolts. Looks like I might have to press these in also. Many other models have a 2 piece bushing with a sleeve, but mine is one piece with a sleeve molded in.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Another productive day! I'm usually so busy working on client vehicles that mine take a back seat....Not this time!

The paint was cured pretty good so dropped the plate back on the deck for the last time......

A local exhaust shop happened to have 5" tube and a buddy had the band clamps, so the exhaust exit got moved back 6' and added a few rubber hangers. The rest of the system is solid mounted, but figured the frame flexes more the closer you get to the rear. Might have to switch to the strait pipe tip if heat on the tire is an issue. I moved the tip out 3" past the bed side and should miss the tire, but I assume that could be considered over width.

20150725_113745_zpseqgbt0tj.jpg

Built hanger brackets for the 24x60" boxes which I expected to take more time, but it went pretty fast!

20150725_143217_zpsmnl7y3qe.jpg

20150725_174732_zpsqpruhmr7.jpg

Since the steering stabilizer was going to correct the slight drift to the right, I removed the wedge above the left front spring some second rate knucklehead alignment guy installed to reduce caster on the left side......When will people figure out the axle won't twist! A quick roadtest to confirm the new steering wheel position and notice the little bit of bumpsteer I had was also gone! :) The Safe-T-Plus bolted right up, so score on that! Popped the wheel to center and we're ready for the races.....

Might have time to tackle those hood bushings tomorrow afterall.

I'm noticing with every lb. that goes back on the deck, the ride and manners are improving! The truck has been pretty rowdy the past few weeks. Need to re-calibrate the air scales too! Not like I really need it, but it's there, so might as well be functional......

Edited by CrazyCooter

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Lights! Can't have too many options especially when traveling the back roads and off highway at night..... Installed a set of 5K HID's in the OE housings and a pair of 7" bars each side in the bumper. Had to open the hole up a little..... Perfect timing as I had to pull the bumper to install the hood pivot bushings.

20150726_131300_zpsfcvvzbku.jpg

I don't know how much I would use an amber lens since I had planned on using the Dodge in the winter for 4x4 capabilities, but option none the less. Still have some work and adjusting to do on the brackets.

20150729_125309_zpsgmjq2irl.jpg

Atlas II leather seats. Big Rig Chrome shop is running a deal on these right now and they felt pretty good at the local truck shop. Wanted to buy local, but funny none of the local shops seemed to want to sell me seats.....They couldn't give me a price, options, or tell me when I could get them. Click on the internet and they were here in 4 days...... Two tone Black/grey just like the OE interior.

20150729_125328_zpsibfi14vw.jpg

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Welcome to the forum Cee (BoonHauler)! Cee is gonna want an HDT by the time he gets done building his RV.......

Might only get to 112°now...... 110°tonight so I went to see the local Peterbilt dealer for some parts, gave the truck a break, and took the wife to dinner.:)

Edited by CrazyCooter

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4