Progress on our Peterbilt

CrazyCooter

I didn't notice any flex in the ramps at all. The seller rated these at 5,000lb per pair and claimed half knife ends were stronger for when you used then at a steeper than ideal angle. Time will tell I guess.

I do know I didn't pucker one bit loading or unloading. The width and length are about right.

There is a lot to be said with the pucker factor......lol

Even with the pitfalls of the close distance, it has to feel good to have gotten it done to this point. Great job!

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the extended pinbox and I'm not all that comfortable with it's length. I was running the shorter 0719 but swapped back to the 1621 for the extra 9". I could move the hitch on the truck 2-4" back without serious work. I'm just over 66' right now though.....

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Being 10' over legal length in my home state is not something I want to do....I think the company that built those dollies is not in business anymore either?

Traveling through over length once a year I'd be willing to chance. Plus the cost, extra maintenance, and extra work are things I just won't deal with. Hauling the Jeep was just a possible secondary benefit to the HDT,.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Harbor freight rates the straps at 1,000lb....4 of these should be fine.....NOT ;)

20150817_181057_zps4xvn9po3.jpg

I use the Keeper 8' x 2" Auto Ratchet Tie Down from HomeDepot. They are rated for 2k# each. I use 4 of them in a X pattern under the Jeep. 60k plus miles and the Jeep has never moved a bit. What is nice about being from Home Depot, if I need a replacement while on the road it is not too difficult to find one.

When we bought the new Jeep last year I did not have a tie down position in the front of the jeep that worked with the stapes easily. So I picked up a set of Reese 24" x 2" Axle Straps. Also from Home Depot.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Being 10' over legal length in my home state is not something I want to do....I think the company that built those dollies is not in business anymore either?

Traveling through over length once a year I'd be willing to chance. Plus the cost, extra maintenance, and extra work are things I just won't deal with. Hauling the Jeep was just a possible secondary benefit to the HDT,.

I'm not sure if they're in business or not. Someone had one at the East Coast HDT Rally a few months ago. He talked like they were still going strong. I don't know anything else about them.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I use the Keeper 8' x 2" Auto Ratchet Tie Down from HomeDepot. They are rated for 2k# each. I use 4 of them in a X pattern under the Jeep. 60k plus miles and the Jeep has never moved a bit. What is nice about being from Home Depot, if I need a replacement while on the road it is not too difficult to find one.

When we bought the new Jeep last year I did not have a tie down position in the front of the jeep that worked with the stapes easily. So I picked up a set of Reese 24" x 2" Axle Straps. Also from Home Depot.

Had you been tying to axles or frame?

I figure on tying to tires or axles when running without the trailer. Then also frame on the front of the Jeep....This will keep the body from bobbing and hitting the trailer assuming I can find the clearance.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

With the 87 Wrangler I had 4 different points on the frame that I attached to. On the 14 Wrangler we have now, I use the frame for the two rear mount points and use the axle straps on the front axle for my front connections.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I might even weld on d rings to the axles to make it even easier! I'm getting lazy and our goal has been no more than a 20 min setup/teardown.... This is vacation.

Another option for the front axle is short sections of chain. Wrap a loop around the housing on each side (small loop, just big enough to hook the strap) and then cross the strap to the other side of the deck. Similar to the pic you had earlier, but to the housing instead.

I also like the idea of creating a well on the deck for the front tires to drop into. Only problems would be them collecting water, and if you changed tires size/wheel offsets/vehicles.

Edited by maveric

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Some small OD transporation-only wheels/tires would probably buy you some extra clearance.

And then cut in wheel pockets into the bed would get the front of the Jeep low enough.

Edited by BoonHauler

Overbuilt from the Ground Up

05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

Is that considered towing tandem in Commiefornia?

I would think that it would make the Fifth Wheel a Full Trailer, like a converter dolly does for a commercial semi trailer.

Seems like it would open a whole new can of worms.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I'm not sure if they're in business or not. Someone had one at the East Coast HDT Rally a few months ago. He talked like they were still going strong. I don't know anything else about them.

They are still in business, and Joe is actually a nice fellow to talk with, I gave serious consideration to one of those contraptions before I bought my Freightliner, but that dang thing is like 14k, in the end I prefer the truck to the dolly.

I would think that it would make the Fifth Wheel a Full Trailer, like a converter dolly does for a commercial semi trailer.

It is a self steering axle attached to the vehicle at 2 points so it doesn't hinge at the tow vehicle connection like a converter or trailer. It has brakes and auto steering to allow you to reverse without castoring the wheels over. It swings the trailer out in turns like 5th wheels set way back of rear axles on the rv HDT trucks featured on this forum.

Allows you to tow a nice hoss trailer or rv 5th wheel etc with your paid for low mileage 8 litre Suburban you found in a barn, lady driven... :D

- now back to original programming - :rolleyes:

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Hmm would be a legal way to haul a 5er with FL tags, since they dont allow "semis"

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.