Progress on our Peterbilt

CrazyCooter

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this thread was about CrazyCooter's HDT build ..... what happened here??

<_<

Geezer wander.........hot summer days ........and too much adullt beverages...........prune juice..... :D

Drive on..........(Dream trailers.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It's the HDT version of ADHD.... Squirrel....

You guys are killin me! :)

I'm over at RV.net reading a post where everyone says you have to use at least a MDT, but preferably an HDT to safely pull a loaded 17k 5er....... I'm thinking I don't have enough truck now?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

I'm thinking I don't have enough truck now?

Rule 1: You never have enough truck... although the one you have may do until you get the next one which will of course also not be quite big enough.

Rule 2: If you really think have enough truck then it doesn't have _______ and you need a new and bigger truck that has it.

Rule 3: Big enough and has everything, almost good enough... but the color isn't quite right and repaints are never perfect so you need a new truck.

Rule 4: If your spouse thinks you are following these rules, tell them the truck is fine. Wait for them to be distracted by something else and GET A NEW TRUCK, put a bow on it and practice saying "See what I got you!"

Rule 4a: Make sure the sleeper is comfy. :-)

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

• 2 weeks later...

No work pics today cause I forgot! Made you look anyway......

Used the truck for hauling the UTV and camping two nights this weekend at a spot that is quite the trek in for most. Glad I had the locker, but probably would have made it anyway with a little more tire chunking the and weight on the deck. If I did this steeper off road driving a lot I would most definitely want an 18 speed trans.

It was nice to have a bed, but the sleeper is a bit confined and climbing in the back was less than ideal. Used a generator to charge the batteries and to run micro/coffee pot which was a PITA in itself without remote starting....another trip out/in/out in the morning for breakfast and coffee. Might have sparked up my ambition again to get the inverter, battery, and solar system installed.

Got home yesterday morning and decided to clean, prep, and mask the bed so I could paint it this morning. Nothing special as more modifications are a given, but heading out on a trip where we might get some weather so better get it sealed up! Hope it cures hard in 7-10 days......

Also had a visit from Chad so he could deliver the Progressive surge protector I left in Sparks when we left the rally. While he was there did a little work on his A/C and swapped more ideas for the ideal truck build and mods to current equipment.

I had a feeling my Jake Brake wasn't working on all 6 cyls because the sound or boost did not change between med/high settings. Had a feeling it was just the switch since it worked fine on low/med settings which pretty well confirmed it wasn't a solenoid, wiring, or computer. Few mins with a test light confirmed the switch was indeed not powering up the center two cylinders on the high settings, but was on low. Little electronic parts cleaner and were golden! Glad that was easy and that there is more compression available.....My Dodge held back better than the med setting.....

Edited by CrazyCooter

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I have always thought a wireless remote start generator/invertor would be pretty trick and would keep you from exiting the cab to crank it.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200586833_200586833

13684_700x700.jpg

They have a cheaper version as well - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200482992_200482992

I don't have any experience with them, but they can be bought at Camping World with an extended warranty.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

For the most part we're almost totally solar on the RV and plan a little solar on the truck. When I get the Magnum installed we won't have to start a generator unless it's been a few days without sun. Then I could just run it at convenience. They do have remote start kits for the Honda, but hardly worth the expense.....

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

It was good to see you again Tony. I was happy to deliver your plug and I (and especially my DW) was even happier to get a little help with the AC. It was greatly appreciated. It blew ice cold all the way home today, which was nice in the heat.

How did the painting go today?

On edit: Since we were talking MPG a little bit. I got just over 12 mpg between Redding and Williams on I5 pulling the trailer.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

It was good to see you again Tony. I was happy to deliver your plug and I (and especially my DW) was even happier to get a little help with the AC. It was greatly appreciated. It blew ice cold all the way home today, which was nice in the heat.

How did the painting go today?

On edit: Since we were talking MPG a little bit. I got just over 12 mpg between Redding and Williams on I5 pulling the trailer.

Thanks again for catching that! May need it next time I stay in a park.....probably next year's rally.

Glad the A/C is working well. Easy fix for now..... Wondering when the EPA will index the cost of 134A to the price of gold like they do with R12.

Painting went pretty smooth. With the shop's parking lot empty this morning, I was able to spray outside and not get over spray inside the building. Just waiting for it to cure now.....

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Joe, the original owner had rolled or brushed Rustoleum Industrial Enamel just to temporarily protect the bare metal and it sanded like it was super tough, so I just stayed with it. Here in CA, it's hard to get a good industrial paint anymore......

Edited by CrazyCooter

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

It was thick enough that sanding the top rails with 180 on the DA knocked the high spots off and made for a fairly smooth topcoat. I'll get the rest of it when I finally get around to building the rear boxes and bumper. The main thing is that nothing was rusted!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Thanks guys! I'm not used to projects that take this long......I can see it's faster that some but there were some faster builds!

I'll be loading up the UTV and trailer on it tomorrow to support another local homeless camp cleanup, so it won't be nice and shiny for long! Nice not having to tow a trailer around when you want to move vehicles around......

I'll have some traveling pics up in the next couple of weeks.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Nice job. Looks good. Hope it is all cured up before you head out on your trip. I'm sure the heat is helping that process ;).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just made it home from the first long trip in the Pete, a 2500 mile round trip to Cody, Wy and back! I must say overall we are pretty happy with the migration to the heavier truck.

The trip was almost trouble free other than an unscheduled compressor governor failure at almost the worst possible time and a slight water leak due to a loose hose clamp discovered at the same time as the governor during a morning pretrip. No phone/internet service, at least 50 miles from the nearest town, and no way to disconnect/unload our street legal UTV to run for parts. I took the governor off the compressor and performed minor roadside surgery in the sub freezing temps that got us moving long enough to travel to our destination and get a new unit from NAPA.

The other thing that was really annoying was the trucks ride on the bigger bumps on the rough highways. The small stuff on the concrete slabs the truck's suspension ate up with that little bit left for the air seats to take care of, so no issue there. The problem came in the big holes or transitions to/from bridges and the like....You know it's bad when there are skid marks on the ground from the lifted drop axle's G-out! There were times I left the seat like you see on Ice Road Truckers! I need to put a GoPro back at the hitch to see what is happening there as I'm pretty sure the TrailAir Flex hitch I just installed is causing more chucking than it is preventing....... Could be a wheelbase/overhang issue too. What are you guys experiencing?

I feel pretty good today considering driving over 1,200 miles in less than 27 hours and 850 miles yesterday alone! Last time I did this trip in my pickup we stopped short at 700 miles, I was looking for pain killers and was ready for bed!

Few pics:

SW side of South Pass on our return trip.... This is where the governor failed on the way to Cody. This was also the gnarliest climb/decent I have ever driven. The Pete did pretty well considering it's smallish powerplant!

20150926_134826_zpsx9hvsaox.jpg

Took the truck off road a bit for some fly fishing on the Shoshone River.

20150923_134736_zpsnwqpcl4j.jpg

Another off road trip checking out the Metropolis ghost town just outside of Wells, NV. Ditched the 5er and went Baja style with my long travel Airleaf suspension! Glad to have installed that Detroit Locker........

20150918_134341_zpscxf4yyib.jpg

Edited by CrazyCooter

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4