Chipped windshield repair

Darn it all..

I'm curious what folks do for windshield repairs. I've seen some of those DIY repair kits, and I know there are professional folks who will do it for you. Do the pro's really do that much of a better job? Are any of the multitude of brands of DIY kits better than another? What is a ballpark amount you have paid to have a professional do it?

I've replaced windshields, but never dealt with just a little chip before. I guess I'm also curious if it's true that repairing it will prevent it from eventually expanding or is it just cosmetic.

I guess it would be called a "starburst" chip about the size of the tip of my index finger. It's on the passenger side and doesn't obstruct any view.

If I go the DIY route.. any tips or tricks?

TIA

I believe that all insurance policies which include comprehensive coverage will pay 100% of the cost for professional chip repair. Not all companies will send someone to you but most do have suggested vendors. I have used that numerous times on both the motorhome and on our towed vehicles over the years with good success.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The $10 kit at Wal-Mart does work. I have done chip repair with one of those kits that was better than some "professional" chip repairs I have had. A hair dryer on low helps lightly warm the windshield, which helps the resin flow. You also get your finger wet and rub it lt on the inside to lightly vibrate the glass, which also helps the resin flow. I learned this from an RVers blog, but do not remember which one and it was many years ago. You do need sunlight to cure the resin, but start it in the shade.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a77/easy-windshield-repair/ is a recent article on this kits. This 6 minute Youtube video is good, with a different kit than I have used, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjuWqBzO7qY. This longer video, 19 minutes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5x0-wEl84, matches the kit I used from Wal-Mart.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Nice info Bill, thanks! Despite my insurance paying for chip repair and costing me no deductible, I'll keep the links for passing alonhg. Another tip for folks that do not carry comprehensive, I carry liability only, not collision. Then uninsured motorist and non collision comprehensive which cover hail, theft, fire, and towing, as well as windshield damage free for the crack filler. It is so cheap I add it with only $100 deductible. If your vehicles is paid for, those cover all including repairing your car as long as it is not your fault in a collision. If their fault, yours is covered too with all three. For my Truck Comprehensive with $100 deductible is $59.72/six months with USAA. The 2012 Kia Rio - $45.41/six months.

Here's what comprehensive is with quotes available at the bottom: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/2013/09/16/comprehensive-auto-insurance/

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I got a star on the passenger side windshield while traveling in TX this winter. First ding in our new truck :(. Although insurance would cover the professional repair, I picked up a $10 kit at an autostore because I didn't want to deal with the hassle. Took care of it easily that evening following instructions and all is good. Don't notice it anymore and expect the fix to last as long as the one I did on a prior vehicle 20yrs ago.

Ron and Pat, and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

2013 Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax w/SuperGlide

2005 NuWa HitchHiker DA 31.5 LK w/MorRyde IS

I've never had much luck with the do-it-yourself kits. I had my RV windshield chip repaired by a professional for $20 and I couldn't tell it had ever been chipped when he was done. Plus, he came to me and did it in my driveway.

Spot on. Insurance will take care of it, but after Bill's post and video's, and since it's way off on the passenger side, I think I like like to give it a try. Kind of funny how after so many years on the road I've never had to deal with a chip. Cracked windshields replacements, but my first chip. :P

Besides... spring veggie season so I'm always looking for an excuse to go to town shoppin ahead of schedule. :lol:

Thanks again for the info.

Bill, I can probably read it on the package when I go into town, but is the shading issue the heat or just UV exposure?

TIA

The resin cures in the sun (UV I think), so you get it ready in the shade and then put it in the sun to cure. Just like on the videos I posted.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I did a couple fixes on a car with only liability and they worked fine. You could see the repair on one (not sure why) but only if you stared at it and knew where to look.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I just watched a video of a guy fixing a rock chip in Whitehorse, Yukon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XscsSFZ-JwE ). There the chip repair kits come with heat packs you tape to the inside of the windshield for curing. In winter they would not have the sunlight available, so they use a kit that uses heat instead of sunlight.

I just watched a video of a guy fixing a rock chip in Whitehorse, Yukon

That makes sense, Bill. I appreciate the follow up. I'll give her a shot come Wednesday when I go to town.

I owe you one. ~ Mikk

I did a couple fixes on a car with only liability and they worked fine. You could see the repair on one (not sure why) but only if you stared at it and knew where to look.

I think I'll give it a try. I appreciate the words of encouragement. This ones way off on the passenger side so if I royally muck it up it won't be all the more noticble. :P

If the chip has radiating cracks, the chances of a permanent repair working go down. Some states will fail a vehicle for a chip "within the swept area of the wipers". If it were away from my field of vision, I'd buy a kit. Anything in line or slightly off can cause a "distraction" if the repair isn't perfect, drive you nuts.

Comp coverage- Just understand, if you fly without it because the car is a throw away there can be big problems. Example: You lose control on a wet road, etc and go into the ditch. A BIG ditch. The towing and storage bill at the tow co. can run into BIG money real fast, and w/o comp YOU owe it. Here in Baltimore, it can run $50/day for a car. Car's worthless, tow co won't take it to cover their bill. Now you have to get the car out of there. Sell the remains to a salvage yard for what, $100?

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

Nice info Bill, thanks! Despite my insurance paying for chip repair and costing me no deductible, I'll keep the links for passing alonhg. Another tip for folks that do not carry comprehensive, I carry liability only, not collision. Then uninsured motorist and non collision comprehensive which cover hail, theft, fire, and towing, as well as windshield damage free for the crack filler. It is so cheap I add it with only $100 deductible. If your vehicles is paid for, those cover all including repairing your car as long as it is not your fault in a collision. If their fault, yours is covered too with all three. For my Truck Comprehensive with $100 deductible is $59.72/six months with USAA. The 2012 Kia Rio - $45.41/six months.

Here's what comprehensive is with quotes available at the bottom: http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insurance/2013/09/16/comprehensive-auto-insurance/

Uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage, or UMBI, won't normally cover your vehicle if you are hit by an uninsured driver. It normally only covers your bodily injuries in such cases. However, some companies do sell another form of the coverage, which is UMPD. This coverage will cover your vehicle damage up to a limit if hit by an uninsured driver. I have seen $25,000 as the highest limit. I just don't want anyone to assume that regular (UMBI) will cover damage to your RV in an accident with an uninsured driver. It won't. Better check with your agent if you want both types of the coverage. And, not all companies even offer UMPD.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Thanks for that info! Although not my case with my insurance company. In looking it up and seeing how weird a few different states and insurance companies can be this is as good a place as any to add more info.

Well I called my insurance company and they make no distinction nor have any exceptions to their uninsured motorist coverage. USAA uninsured motorist coverage insures me for my injuries and damage to my vehicle if the accident is indeed their fault. If the accident is my fault, unless I have collision insurance, none of my property damage is covered.

I looked it up and this is the definition that comes up when I search for "Define uninsured motorist insurance.

"Definition

An automobile policy option which covers one for property damage and bodily injury caused by another motorist who does not carry liability insurance.

http://www.investorwords.com/5157/uninsured_motorist_coverage.html#ixzz3c2cGdage

Now while your pointing out the UMBI difference I think that is more the exception rather than the rule.

So I am glad you mentioned that for anyone offered only UMBI without UMPD to cover their vehicle. I did not specify because UM with USAA covers my property if hit by an uninsured motorist and it is their fault. I checked and indeed you are right in that some states and insurance companies offer them as separate. I remember calling another insurance company and the agent never heard of non collision comprehensive so I never got further to UM.

So for anyone not with USAA it may be wise to check. why would one want Uninsured Motorist (UM)?

"If you're in an accident and the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, will you be covered?

If you have uninsured/underinsured motorist protection (UM/UIM), the answer is probably "yes." Many auto insurance experts recommend choosing this option. You might think that because your state requires auto insurance, most people have it. However, according to the Insurance Research Council, the number of uninsured drivers can reach 25 percent in some states. The 10 states with the highest percentages of uninsured drivers in 2012 -- the most recent year for which data are available -- were:

Oklahoma: 25.9%
Florida: 23.8%
Mississippi: 22.9%
New Mexico: 21.6%
Michigan: 21.0%
Tennessee: 20.1%
Alabama: 19.6%
Rhode Island: 17.0%
Colorado: 16.2%
Washington: 16.1%

Especially during times when people are struggling economically, many drivers either don't have insurance or don't have enough. If you have UM/UIM, you can get money for injuries even if the other driver can't pay. If you have uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD), damage to your car from an uninsured driver can be covered without having to resort to filing a claim against your own collision coverage.

You can see how much liability coverage different drivers in your state carry with our "What Drivers Like You Buy" tool."

What is UM or UIM?

Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage can pay for injuries to you and your passengers, and in some locations damage to your property, when there is an accident and the other driver is both legally responsible for the accident and considered "uninsured" or "underinsured."

An uninsured driver is someone who did not have any insurance, had insurance that did not meet state-mandated minimum liability requirements, or whose insurance company denied their claim or was not financially able to pay it. A hit-and-run driver also counts as uninsured as it relates to bodily injury (UMBI).

An underinsured driver is someone who met minimum legal financial responsibility requirements, but did not have payment limits high enough to cover the damage they caused. In these cases, UM or UIM can pay you for your damages. It is important to note that uninsured and underinsured motorist protections are separate, although in many states they can or must be purchased together.

Is UM/UIM required?

A handful of states mandate purchase of UM/UIM, but most do not.

These states require that you buy both uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist protection: Connecticut, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Virginia. If you buy more than minimum required liability limits, Rhode Island and North Carolina require that you buy UI and UIM, too.

These states require that you buy only uninsured motorist: District of Columbia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, New York, North Carolina (if you buy only required minimum liability), South Carolina, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Uninsured motorist property damage coverage is required in: District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia. Utah requires UMPD if you do not buy collision coverage.

Other states may require only that you be offered these coverages, but you do not have to accept them.

If you purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist protection, your UM/UIM payment limits usually must comply with the state minimum but can't exceed your liability limits. If your state and company allow uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) coverage, it can't be purchased without UMBI. Also, note that if you're in an accident and try to settle payment with the other driver by yourself, you won't be able to file a claim for UM/UIM protection. It's always best, regardless of what's in your policy, to contact your insurance company for advice on how to handle an accident.

Why would you want it?

Insurance Information Institute Vice President Carolyn Gorman extols the virtues of UM/UIM. "You absolutely need this coverage, because, if you get into an accident with someone who is driving without insurance or doesn't have enough of it, you want to be made financially whole again. You have to protect yourself fiscally and physically, and uninsured/underinsured motorist protection can help you in that regard."

It's usually relatively cheap to add uninsured/underinsured motorist protection to your car insurance

That from this article: http://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance/explained/why-you-need-uninsuredunderinsured-motorist-coverage.aspx

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

BTW,

I am aware that others who borrow money for their vehicles must pay full coverage by order of the lien holder. I've bought my cars, trucks and motorcycles and scooters cash, liability/UM/non-collision comprehensive since I was 16 in Connecticut. At 63, I saved the cost of several new cars which I avoid over the last 47 years. New cars would be fine if it weren't for the idiot sales stooges at stealerships. But stealerships were needed for maintenance and warranty of internal combustion engines. Fortunately that is changing and when the economy Model 3 Tesla is out, we should have left the mismanaged state of Louisiana behind, and be able to go to the Denver Mall and order one direct from the factory. Like my Porsche 911 I restored, our several Mercedes and BMWs, and many collector and specialty vehicles like our 78 Dodge little red express truck etc., it will only have liability/UM/non-collision comprehensive, because I own it from the start. This never fails to shock some folks. Angers the limited resource thinkers. I think we should be able to self insure, with whatever amount we want to limit it to held in an account.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Archived