Insurance

JimmiV

Members, just got the shock of my life...everything going great with the New/Old RV I just bought. Had a great 2400 mile ride home with no issues...Got home to deal with the Insurance and I almost Had a heart attack.

I got a quote for $2400.00 a year.....that's more expensive than my home,car,truck,motorcycle,umbrella combined....I did a search on the web and got a few online quotes...no cheaper....anyone have a Insurance carrier that isn't out for blood?

Thanks

Jimmi V.

We have allied. Our winnebago Ultimate was only $695 a year.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

What kind of insurance are you looking for? Fulltimers (wouldn't think so, if you have a home)? Regular RV insurance?

What are you insuring...and at what levels? Where do you live? All of these things, including stuff like your driving record and even your credit score, all go toward figuring insurance premiums.

That does seem high, though, even for fulltimers insurance.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Check GEICO. make sure they understand what you doing. If you own a home with liability and are only partiming then your insurance needs are different than those of us who fulltime with out homeowners insurance What about

the company who insures your cars now??

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

JimmiV,

Kirk has the best advice. We went through Miller's and got Titan which is a branch of Nationwide, and they got us insured for recreational now with the understanding we would want full-time next year. It will run us about 1050.00 when we go full-time, but it full replacment coverage. Be careful of that because not all insurance's will give you full replacement, and the other thing is make sure they understand what you mean by full-time. That it will be your sole residence. We asked our current agent State Farm about full-time coverage and he stated "yes we have that" until I inquired about 3 months ago, and he said "you mean you're going to be living in it all the time and it's your home?"....when i stated yes, that's what I mean, he said, "Oh no...we won't cover that". I thought I made that pretty easy to understand so just make sure they understand, whoever you go with. Good luck!

Gracie's Golden Getaway

Barry and Marianne traveling full-time with Golden Retriever Maggie

2014 Ford F-450 DRW Super Heavy Duty Lariat with

2015 Solitude 305RE since June 2016.

It will run us about 1050.00 when we go full-time, but it full replacment coverage. Be careful of that because not all insurance's will give you full replacement,

True.

When we bought our new motorhome, I was shopping insurance and had heard that Hartford insured RVs. Since we are AARP members and would get a discount with Hartford, I gave them a call. In talking with the agent, I inquired about full replacement coverage. Yes, they offered that, I was informed. However, on further inquiry it turns out that THEIR full replacement coverage was only for something like 18 months and then reverted to current value. Because *real* full replacement coverage is for 5 years and then reverts to price paid, I declined their insurance.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

We've been insured by Foremost now for 15 years, very satisfied with their annual premium for the coverage we have. Also pleased with their "no Hassle" claim service. Just had our first increase in annual premium this year, went from $827 to $922.

Good luck with your choice & safe travels.. :)

Jim & Sherry Seward

2000 Residency Mod. 3790

2003 Suzuki XL/7 4WD

Check GEICO. make sure they understand what you doing. If you own a home with liability and are only partiming then your insurance needs are different than those of us who fulltime with out homeowners insurance What about

the company who insures your cars now??

Even if you own a home, just know that a 'motorized' RV is excluded from any coverage under a homeowner policy's liability.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

Even if you own a home, just know that a 'motorized' RV is excluded from any coverage under a homeowner policy's liability.

That just depends upon what kind of liability you are speaking of. Homeowners does normally cover liability for s person who falls and is injured in your RV or campsite, or at least those that we had in the past did so as does our present policy. It also covers injury of a visitor by my pet or most other incidents. It does not replace motor vehicle liability, but I'd be very surprised if you could even buy insurance on a motorhome without vehicular liability coverage.

Let me suggest that you discuss coverages with your insurance agent, who will know the differences.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That just depends upon what kind of liability you are speaking of. Homeowners does normally cover liability for s person who falls and is injured in your RV or campsite, or at least those that we had in the past did so as does our present policy. It also covers injury of a visitor by my pet or most other incidents. It does not replace motor vehicle liability, but I'd be very surprised if you could even buy insurance on a motorhome without vehicular liability coverage.

Most homeowner (sticks and bricks) policies, if not all, exclude liability in or upon a motorized vehicle licensed for road use (not, for instance, a golf cart or non-licensed vehicle used to service the residence premises). A campsite may be a different scenario and would probably be covered because it is not in or upon the RV and your homeowner's personal liability follows you anywhere (unless listed under exclusions as a licensed motorized vehicle usually is). Just because it is parked and used as a residence, it is still excluded because it is a road licensed motorized vehicle. I emphasize 'motorized'. A TT or 5W may be covered. You can add premises liability to most specialty RV polices to cover injuries to others inside the RV. Mine is listed under Vacation Liability coverage. If my dog bites someone, it is covered anywhere through my sticks and bricks coverage.

Let's say that you open your coach door and it hits and injures someone. It probably would not be covered under your sticks and bricks policy. It would be the same as opening a car door and striking someone.

2014 Winnebago Vista 35B Class A. 2010 Honda CR-V.

I just did a search for "2010 Dynamax Grand Sport 40 gt" and saw an add for one for sale at over $600K. So if you are insuring an RV worth over a half a million dollars, I wouldn't be surprised to see insurance for $2400/year.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I just did a search for "2010 Dynamax Grand Sport 40 gt" and saw an add for one for sale at over $600K. So if you are insuring an RV worth over a half a million dollars, I wouldn't be surprised to see insurance for $2400/year.

Right. Let's not compare apples to oranges here. When comparing insurance there are many variables. Like it was said before, check coverages with the insurance agents. Just my 2 cents. Dave

2006 Coachmen Aurora 36ft. Class A motor home. 2009 Honda CRV toad. "Snowbirds" apprx. 6 mos. each year. Travelling to the SW each winter than returning to Wi. each summer. Retired and enjoying our travels along with Buddy the cat.

Right. Let's not compare apples to oranges here. When comparing insurance there are many variables. Like it was said before, check coverages with the insurance agents. Just my 2 cents. Dave

Insurance thread on forums such as this are useless because insurance premiums depend heavily on:

• the state the vehicle is registered in
  • the driving record and credit scores of the drivers
  • whether the policy is for full-time vs part-time use
  • the brand of RV and its age (experienced-based factors)
  • whether the policy is for full replacement, declared value or normal depreciation and the value of the vehicle
  • amount of personal property insurance included in the vehicle policy (if for full-timing)
  • the selection of optional riders such as vanishing deductible, zero deductible glass coverage, etc

I'm sure there are other factors that I've forgotten, but these are enough to illustrate why statements such as "my insurance only cost $XYZ" are totally useless.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 2 weeks later...

I should be purchasing a motorhome today and will need full timer insurance. Does any of the companies you listed stand out when it comes to the needs of a full timer?

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

If one can buy a $600K motorhome they should not whine about a $2400 insurance quote! If I had been considering this purchase I would have checked on the insurance BEFORE the purchase and would have never driven it 2400 miles before insuring. I'm done.

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

We checked all of the recommended and found that Good Sam had the best rate for full timer. You have to shop to get the best rate.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I should be purchasing a motorhome today and will need full timer insurance. Does any of the companies you listed stand out when it comes to the needs of a full timer?

In my opinion, PoliSeek and Miller are both excellent. They are the only ones that we have actually done business with. I have known members of Escapees who have used every one of them so would not hesitate to get quotes from any of them. They are independent agents and in many cases may quote the same insurance underwriter.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived