nose password question

bigjim

I am just being nosey. I wonder how many different passwords some of you would estimate that you have and mostly need at least once or twice a year. I know once Stan said he used a spreadsheet to keep up with his so I would like to throw him or RV or someother prolific user under the bus with this question. Goes without saying no specifics needed or hard feelings if you don't want to put this info out there.

Jim,

That's like asking someone if they still beat their wife. No good or useful answer. And like asking how many miles per gallon one gets, or how much one has in the bank, folks will tend to tell you the acceptably inflated or deflated answer. My answer is to look into password managers. Go here: http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/02/articles/6-best-free-password-managers.html

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I used to have a password manager but I forgot the password. (Just kidding.) It was on a previous computer and who knows if it's still in business. Password Corral, maybe.

Honestly, I'm surprised some of the high tech stuff like retinal scanners, facial recognition, that kind of thing, hasn't made it farther into the common smartphone usage. Maybe it'll be here soon.?

Easy for me to answer, I just check the row count in the spreadsheet and subtract one for the column title - so it is 123 total passwords. I stuck the list below with a couple of redactions. Some I use daily, others only see a visit when I need support or to order something.

ace hardware afraid.org all electronics allied electronics amazon American Express APC Asus.com Baen Books Bam Net bannerhealth.com Broadband Reports Bugzilla@Mozdev cannon centos Chris's Coffee coffee bean direct costco crutchfield cyberguys.com Cox Cable Dell Community Dell Financial sales Dell Forum Dell sales Dish Network Dns-o-matic Dr. Wu DropBox DSL Reports ebay Element 14 -- private one Escapees Discussion Escapees Disc. test Escapees members only Evernote express scripts express scripts Firetrust forum Firetrust other Foremost git hub Google Google backup addr Harbor Freight Harry & David I heart radio Ikea jameco jc penny kde bugzilla (kde ident) kde forum (kde ident) kde identity Koa Coffee last.fm Lifetime exercise linux magazine Live 365 Radio LL Bean Logitech Lowes monoprice.com Navy FCU new egg Novell web & bugzilla -- private one -- private one open suse fate open suse forums open suse user opendns pandora parts express paypal pfsense forum phistank Photobucket Raspberry Pi forum red robin rhapsody sams club Samsung t900 slashdot snapfish snort songa (sonos service) sonoraquest lab sonos sonos forum sourceforge spamcop Spamcop 2 spamcop forums speedtest.net Squaretrade tab warranty Squaretrade tv warranty SRP SRP survey staples easy rebates staples main staples rewards starbucks Stitcher music suse testmy.net tickld Toyota Toyota - Big 2 tricare tricare -- private one Ubiquity Forums UPS verizon (master) 602 verizon (second) 480 walmart Western Digital support weather underground Whole latte love wot web of trust Yahoo

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I use LastPass to manage my passwords. I like the fact that I can use it on my Android phone as well as on any computer I happen to use somewhere. I don't have as many PW's as Stan but there are quite a few and many have non-alpha characters that are difficult to remember.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Also use LastPass. Between my wife and I there has to be close to a hundred. The ones that could do me real harm are over 14 characters. I could never remember those.

With LastPass all I need to remember is one password. Even this old brain can manage that.

I don't know which is more amazing WDR or Stan. Sometimes I am a little thick but I get the feeling WDR is poking fun at me. :o I would not have been surprised if Stan had many more than that. I know it is a goofy question but so many entities want you to register and log on it seems there is no end to it and I am talking about the legitimate ones. As dumb as I am I try to use a good one that is different from every other one. Probably the easiest one I have is for this forum and of course I have to have another one for the other escapees stuff.

I know I break all the rules in the game but I have only three or four. That isn't very safe but I just can't deal with a whole bunch. I just don't see the need to worry much about sites like this or other forums I'm on so they all get the same password. I don't bother to change them. I do change the banks, brokerage firms, those types from time to time to make sure they are OK.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

There are 120 plus on my spreadsheet, a few of them for silly applications like news websites, merchants, etc. that should not really need passwords are duplicates. The banks and CC ones are all unique.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I'm not sure how many I have but both Pam & I use PW Safe for ours, each with our own file. I keep a copy of the file on both my computer and also on my phone and use mostly program generated passwords for things of high security but just something simple for things of low security. On financial things I also change mine periodically, but don't have any specific time frame for that.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived