Class of 2015

ezdays

It's been really helpful to read everyone's process. I sold my house two years ago and moved into a small apartment in preparation for this. I've slowly been divesting myself of stuff. In the meanwhile I have been renting different sized RVs to see what I like. I have a friend with a 15' campervan that I also borrowed from time to time. In the end, I found the class B fits me and what I perceive will be my lifestyle. I should have my B in August. In the meanwhile I continue to divest myself of furniture, books, books and more books and some clothing. I never realized how much emotional attachment I put in "stuff". It's been cathartic in many ways and exciting in others.

Thank you all for the welcome and offer of help; and thanks to all of you who are posting your journey here.

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

books, books and more books

Yup. We have a library room in our house. It was full of books. Well over 1000. We are down to about 15 that we are keeping. Also sold all of my cookbooks, over 100, and replaced most of them, 72, on my Kindle.

And you are correct about the emotional attachment. Most of our stuff is stuff that I grew up with, that has been in my family for a couple of generations. I had moved away from it, but it moved back in when my mother came to live with us. She's been gone almost 8 years, but it has taken that long to divest. Each item that has gone out the door has made us feel more free and lighter. It is wonderful!

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

Residence: 2015 Airstream Classic

Each item that has gone out the door has made us feel more free and lighter. It is wonderful!

I can't wait! When I gave up the first few hundred books to move from the house to the apartment I felt like I lost a large group of good friends. It's only going to get harder with the books. The most loved are on the kindle now, so that's done. Cookbooks will be down to 4-6. So I'm getting there and resigned to the feeling of loss I get when I get rid of books. Most are going to the local library (they're hard covered with dust jackets intact), so that makes it easier.

Traveling with Shadow and his rubber chicken.

Books can be tough.

Barbara has been a book worm all her life and has a selection that has followed us around the world.

When it came to shedding them she was VERY stressed. I stepped up and showed her I was selling ALL my military history books but I invited people from the clubs and associations we belong to as the "First Pickers".

She saw how appreciative those people were to have the books and trinkets that I'd collected over the years and I believe that helped her take the same step.

Kindle Unlimited is feeding Barbara's habit now and she's making the most of it. We were discussing cook books and she started to surf Amazon's Kindle Store. She found more than she ever dreamed of and a lot of the books she had had in hardback.

The first step, letting go of stuff is the hardest, but once you've taken the step it gets a lot easier.

Keep plugging

BnB

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

We let some book loving friends come in first - one took a lot of the art books, another took fantasy, and yet a third took a lot of science fiction. Our local library throws books away, so I did not send any there. A friend of mine who is a librarian at the local medical school turned me on to our local Kidney Foundation thrift store. They have a huge wall of books and my friend said that they don't throw them away and that a lot of her professor friends go there to buy books. So that is where all of my father's history books went...Graves, Stephen Ambrose, Barbra Tuckman, etc. from the War of the Roses to WW II. Also sold some to a very good used book store in downtown Charleston. And the first edition Pogo comics went to friend who gifted them to her brother for Christmas. I feel very happy that all of the books are being loved or will be.

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

And it is nice to know that there are several of us bookworms - book lovers here in the 2015 class! B)

My DW is a book worm also. We gave most to our books to the library and to the VA medical center here in town. A book store here would take them, but didn't want to pay for them. We are at Quartzsite for the first time, on our way to Tucson. We are staying in the Dome Rock short term area west of town.

The adventure continues.

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

Does anyone have suggestions for VINYL LP's in the classical genre? (Vivaldi, Bach, etc., etc.) We have the complete works of Beethoven, complete works of Mozart, etc. Public Libraries don't seem to be interested in LPs.

Judith & Mark - Class of 2015

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 6.7 L Diesel

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (38')

Blog: http://www.yourpcgeek.com/blog

Did you try Craigslist and the Freecycle. org website? I would also call any retirement communities near you or other theatre type organizations perhaps. Good luck, they are a treasure!

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

It's official, we are fulltime. We moved into the 5er this weekend and our S&B sale closes a week from today. Most of the valuable "Junque" is in storage, family and friends took some of what we didn't want and the remainder is being disposed of this week. One little bump is the road, literally. I hit a large piece of road debris on Friday and did over $6,000 of damage to the truck. It is still drivable, but must be fixed soon since part of the damage was outside mirror ($1,200). Truck will go in the shop on Friday. Fortunately a very close friend is one of the best body men in the area. He is going to do the work personally. All this and both of us are still working fulltime. Gives real meaning to phrase "Fulltime life is an adventure"

Bill

As stated in September 2013 to retire in early 2015, It's here March 23rd is my last day at work. The wife retired last March. The house goes on the market the same day. We have packed up and threw away a lot, still have more to go.

I do have a question, We have decided to make Florida our domicile, we now live in SC and I have read on here where it is advised to get a lawyer to change wills, beneficiaries and so forth. Is it really necessary to change wills from one state to another? don't want to waste money if it's not necessary. as long as the children have a copy of the will seems like that would be enough. and our investments are already designated to them.

Your thoughts please.

Cary

2014 Ram,4x4,dually,CC Cummins

2011 Carriage Cameo 37KS3

full body paint, Most options except Generator

SKP# 123923

Is it really necessary to change wills from one state to another? don't want to waste money if it's not necessary. as long as the children have a copy of the will seems like that would be enough. and our investments are already designated to them.

Your thoughts please.

Cary

Some of the answer to your question depends on the types of property you own. As you indicated, things like bank and retirement accounts can be effectively transferred by adding heirs as co-owners of the bank account or designating them as beneficiaries in the case of IRA, 401k and similar accounts. Heirs can also be added to the titles of your motor vehicles. Real property will be subject to the probate laws of the state in which it is located. What other types of property do you own? What about a living will?

Different states have different requirements. (I work in a law firm that does wills, trusts, and estates.) So long as the documentation is drafted as required by your domicile state, you should be okay.

Our trust and medical stuff was good (would be allowed and followed if we died) in every state as long as our domicile remained in the state it was drafted in. However when we moved our domicile we needed to do an amendment or new trust there as the laws of the new state didn't line up exactly with what we had. The amendment was less aggravation as we didn't have to re-title anything like we had to for a new trust.

We also had to re-do our medical power of attorney, advance directives and the rest to meet the new domicile state rules and requirements.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Talk to an attorney before you make a final decision or start moving stuff and go over all of your personal details for them. We almost moved to Texas when we started out and in our discussions we discovered a legal glitch that made Texas a very bad choice for us.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

It was really nice to meet fellow classmates BnB at the "Bucket List" class given at the escapade. We are currently at the North Ranch rainbow Park in Congress Arizona. A nice park and very friendly people. House goes on the market next week. So let's hope every thing goes as planned.

We are enjoying the ride.

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

We also had to re-do our medical power of attorney, advance directives and the rest to meet the new domicile state rules and requirements.

X2

We redid our wills etc and our TX attorney said that TX requires specific wording in a medical dierctive in order for it to be honored, so we were glad we did it.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

Lots of lookers, but no bites on our house yet. :( The yard is starting to green up, so that should help. We have a very pretty yard, plus a great house.

Started training my replacement here at work yesterday. I have worked for the same attorney for almost 17 years. It's a lot of acquired knowledge to try to teach someone in just one month, but I will do my best. So far, she seems eager and a quick learner.

Ready to get on with the next stage or our lives.

Archived