Class of 2015

ezdays

We took the next step and put our house up for sale. With all this stuff, I see several garage sales and lots of trips to goodwill in our future. Does anyone know a way to skip all this and just hit the road? I am so tired of planning, discussing, sorting, etc. It can't happen soon enough.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We decided that the little we would get from a garage sale wasn't with the time and hassle. We put the best stuff on Craigslist and it sold quickly with an appointment so our time was put to good use. Salvation Army got the things that didn't sell and all the little stuff that you could get a quarter for. We will take the donation on our income tax. Hardest thing was family heirlooms that my kids didn't want. I'm lucky to have a cousin that did want them. Good luck!

We just can't wait to get on the road again.......?

We are home from our trip to New Mexico with a side trip to Las Vegas where we visited with our daughter and grand kids. I just finished cleaning out the coach and draining the fresh water System. I will dump the grey and black tanks when I drop the coach off at the storage facility. It was a very cold trip; it got down to 10 deg. in Williams, AZ. The average night time temp in Los Lunas, NM was a balmy 18 deg. Learned that if we kept the slides in, it was easier to keep the coach warmer. We stayed in campgrounds on the way home. For our maiden voyage nothing was scratched, dented, or broken :D . All in all, a great trip!!! I found out that I need to replace the front shocks, the front end bounced and floated more than I thought it should. I am going to research this in the coming weeks. Now we have to focus on cleaning out the house until our next trip to the Escapades in March.

Enjoy the ride.

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

Master bath remodel is completely finished as of today. Yay! A few minor repairs that we can handle are needed. The house can go on the market as soon as we determine our official launch date. We will have a better feel for that date once we leave the Tampa RV Supershow next week. We will either be towing our new home to our S&B to load up, or will have one on order.

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

Residence: 2015 Airstream Classic

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to our good friend who is a Realtor today and will be listing our home. He wants to put it on the market by March 15th. We have to put on our running shoes to get everything done by then. Luckily I have half of one shed and the garage cleaned out. I still have the attic and another shed to clean out, not to mention inside the house. I will be glad when this part is over. We are starting to get closer to being on the road.

Enjoy the Ride.

Scott

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

Hello fellow classmates. I am enjoying all the posts(ie slow pokes) about the initial down sizing of the stick/brick house. Since I have that behind me and am now sitting in my new home, parked in Havasu overlooking the lake and the hot air balloons this weekend, I can only offer the following advice....it is all so worth it. Sadly, I had to pack up 40 years of memories, with 3 great kids and 6 grandkids. It was difficult, but the result is good. I am living this new lifestyle. Looking forward to Boot Camp and Escapade in Tucson. Then heading north and on 5-15, hope to adventure into Alaska.

So keep doing what you're doing and hope to see some of you on the road.

CARPE DIEM

Hi Everyone in the Class of 2015! I plan to begin fulltiming in April. In process of selling house and can relate to comments on that forum. I notice most here seem to be couples but I will be going solo (I will join the Solos club here soon). As I research online, most solo women seem to have smaller RVs. Would enjoy hearing from anyone with any words of wisdom or encouragement for a solo with a larger fifth wheel. I have experience pulling a smaller travel trailer and my main concern is towing the larger 5th I've chosen, 35/38'. I do plan to stay at destinations for a month or more at a time.

Happy travels! :)

04 Silverado 2500HD Diesel, 09 Forest River Fifth Wheel 35' (38')

I'm a solo also but won't be heading out until July. I don't have a 5th wheel but do have a 26 foot TT which I tow with a Dodge Ram 1500 hemi truck. What vehicle do you have to tow your 5th wheel? That's a pretty big 5th wheel but I have heard they are easier to pull and handle. You just have to get out there and do it. I have a lot of people that think I'm crazy but I can't wait. There are so many places I want to see on the west coast. I'm on the east coast. Do you have a domicile state yet? I've chosen SD but everyone has their own opinions on that. A lot of solo women I've read about have vans but I couldn't do that -- too confining but to each their own. They seem to do it quite easily. Good luck on your travels.

Hi, Thanks for your note. I have a 04 Silverado 2500HD Diesel as tow vehicle. I started out looking at 30 ft. fifth wheels but the larger one came along at a good deal and it just felt so much bigger than the 30 ft., well because it is, ha ha. It is going to be my house; since this is what I want to do I just have to make it happen. Like you said, just have to get out there and do it. :) A lot of people think I'm crazy too but I can't wait either. My domicile state will be Florida. I will initially be travelling south. Good luck in your travels!

STS48 -- Please review the full weight limits of your truck and compare to your maximum loaded trailer weight. Our 38' 5er is 16,000# max weight. However, just because the manufacturer says their truck "can" pull a 16,000# trailer, they have a BUNCH of disclaimers & 'gotchas'.

We are planning to head out full time in November but have been planning and researching for well over a year already. We have a 3500 dually to pull our 16,000# 5er. I have posted some comments, insights, and the worksheet we used to determine the truck/trailer combination that would be safe on our blog site: http://yourpcgeek.com/blog/z-truck-capacities-solar-plans-etc/

Hope this helps. Just want everybody to have "Safe Travels"!!!

Judith & Mark - Class of 2015

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 6.7 L Diesel

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (38')

Blog: http://www.yourpcgeek.com/blog

PCGeek, thanks for your note. Much of my research has been with tow vehicle (TV) and trailer weights. My RV weighs 9280 dry so I hope I am ok with the 3/4 diesel. Plus that's the type the reputable dealer used to tow it to my storage. TV/trailer weights are a forum all their own, but thanks for the tip. JTL2, I have a lot to do too. One bit of advice I heard is you can do outfitting of your RV after you're out and about, you don't have to do everything before you go. To me part of the fun will be outfitting and doing things with the RV once I'm out and about. Considering solar, but I can do it later. I hope I am responding to this forum and posts correctly. Happy travels everyone! I can hardly wait.

.... JTL2, I have a lot to do too. One bit of advice I heard is you can do outfitting of your RV after you're out and about, you don't have to do everything before you go. To me part of the fun will be outfitting and doing things with the RV once I'm out and about. Considering solar, but I can do it later. I hope I am responding to this forum and posts correctly. Happy travels everyone! I can hardly wait.

Yeah, who thought we would be researching RV sewer hoses.... Best of luck and safe travels.

John & Sherrie

John & Sherrie

Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS

I want to get solar power also but it's very expensive but better to do it now while I am still working than

wait until I retire in July. Not sure as a solo I want to be in the boonies all by myself. Kind of worry aboutbeing safe. I actually like people around me. May change my mind once I am on the road.

We are, also, trying to become free from electrical hookups. one of our first steps was to replace all of our light bulbs with LED ones. I was amazed at how much it saved. The second was to replace existing 12 volt battery with two 6 volt ones. The third was to purchase a small generator (Yamaha 2400i) that will be used in the morning and at dinner time.This will allow us to boondock a couple of days with being too severly limited on conveniences. Future plans call adding solar and inverter.

Who thought we would be researching solar energy when we retired?

Safety while boondocking is really not an issue except for a few bad spots along the US - Mexico border or if you do urban boondocking in rough areas.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Yes, solar can be expensive and you need to figure out whether you will be boondocking enough to warrant it. I figure we will spend \$3,500 - 4,000 to install our entire Solar Sustem with me doing the labor/installation. (That's everything from solar panels to batteries to heavy duty cables, etc.) If you figure a $25/night average for staying in campgrounds (your average may be higher or lower) - you have to boondock 160 nights to pay back the solar investment. Not a bad rate of return.

There are lots of inputs in the technical forums about solar. I will refer you to a few web sites that provide a wealth of information:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm#Presentations

http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

http://cuernoverdesolar.wordpress.com/

http://home.earthlink.net/~wbrown02/wildbillwashere22/id16.html

There are lots of threads about safety in the boonies. Most of them boil down to "Take 'reasonable' precautions, and you will be just fine".

Lots of luck & safe travels,

Mark

Judith & Mark - Class of 2015

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 6.7 L Diesel

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (38')

Blog: http://www.yourpcgeek.com/blog

Yes there is so much to learn and so much to think about. Regarding sewer hoses,, I got one at Walmt. that is two 10' hoses that could be used as 10' or combined depending how far you are from the hookup. I'm in no way an authority and it seems a lot of people get heavy duty ones, and 15' seems popular. A little apprehensive about the first visit to the dump station :wacko: . So much to think about, the best (affordable) tires to get, understanding the hot water system, etc and etc. Plus emptying house to ready for sale. But it is all a choice. EZDays, I hesitate to boondock as a solo too. A lot of the reason I'm doing this is for the optional social aspect. Brother in Law mentioned the solar because they've done it at their house, but it certainly isn't a priority at this point. Still have to get a 5th hitch in the truck. MORE research. I wish I could afford an automatic slider hitch but probably won't do it. Just a lot to learn for a newbie, but thank goodness for forums and youtube.

sts48, we recently moved from TT/bumper pull to 5er. I did a lot of research and decided to go with a manual slider and save some money. It has worked great as long as I remember to move the slide. I did recently pull into a campground and forget to move the slide to the rear. Fortunately, I didn't turn sharp enough to hit and cause damage. It did scare me into creating an arrival checklist that is used for every step starting with arrival at the park entrance. DW/navigator is responsible for reading the list and making sure I follow it.

sts48 -- I have been researching for over three years and still learn something new every day. I have been

camping (pop-up, MH, then TT) for over 20 years on vacations and weekend travel but it's nothing like full

timing. I'll need to be very careful with expenses since I will be on a limited income. Will most likely

workamp or host at a national park to help out. I'll join Passport America to help out on camping costs

and am a Good Sam and KOA member now so that helps as well. I'm a little bit anxious as it gets closer but I

know that will go away as soon as I work my last day. Learning the hot water system was a challenge for me whenI had to light the pilot. Now I have a DSI that automatically lights either by electricity or propane. So much

easier. It's always a good idea to have an extension for the sewer hose because not all hookups are the same

distance. I learned that the hard way. Also good to have an extension power cord for those electric boxes thatare farther away than normal. Learned that also. Also good to have a water regulator to make sure the water

pressure is not too strong. Learned that by ruining my water pump. As you can see I have learned a lot by

mistakes. Good luck with your travels and be safe.

We are, also, trying to become free from electrical hookups. one of our first steps was to replace all of our light bulbs with LED ones. I was amazed at how much it saved. The second was to replace existing 12 volt battery with two 6 volt ones. The third was to purchase a small generator (Yamaha 2400i) that will be used in the morning and at dinner time.This will allow us to boondock a couple of days with being too severly limited on conveniences. Future plans call adding solar and inverter.

Who thought we would be researching solar energy when we retired?

go all LED lights and id'e go 12 volt everything if I could T.V. fridge while it's not cheap it will save you money in the long run

Archived