Class of 2015

ezdays

Oh my word we just bought our RV and truck today. Have to do some final things on Monday but it looks like we have made the step. We went a head and bought praying we will be out on the road in a year. We want to do some weekends and short trips to get used to things before we hit the road fulltime. :rolleyes: Feeling a bit overwhelmed but this big decision but we know this is what we want to do. Now to start getting things downsized so much to do.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lmf64,

Oh my word we just bought our RV and truck today. Have to do some final things on Monday but it looks like we have made the step. We went a head and bought praying we will be out on the road in a year. We want to do some weekends and short trips to get used to things before we hit the road fulltime. :rolleyes: Feeling a bit overwhelmed but this big decision but we know this is what we want to do. Now to start getting things downsized so much to do.

Congrats! Is it a 5ver? What brand/model? And the truck? Give us the details! ;-)

Cheers,

--

Vall & Mo.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

We are getting a used Voltage toyhauler and a Dodge pickup :):rolleyes::D We are planning on me doing travel nursing and not sure about hubby his knees are getting bad and he does heating and air so probably wont be doing it much longer as it is so physical so this is one of the reasons for this decision. Now to get through the house UGH feel very overwhelmed by this. Where to start and how to go about it as do you sell this before this etc.

Welcome to the class IMF64 and congrats on the truck and toyhauler. In two weeks we go up and pick up our “new to us” 2007 Class A coach. The DW also signed us up for the Escapade (in Tucson) in March. So, who ever is going, we will see you there. You are not the only one feeling a little overwhelmed on cleaning out the house, but now I have to figure out what I need for the coach. They say that the beginning of any journey is taking the first step. Take one small step at a time .

Enjoy the ride.

2007 Country Coach Allure 470 and pushed by 2010 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

Hello everyone! We are targeting our great escape for Nov. '15. My DW will reach 62 and I will be past (a very young) 66.

We bought a very gently used 2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (4 slides) this past Feb. and had it delivered to a wonderful campground near Chautauqua NY. This summer we have used it as a weekend vacation home, and learning how to use everything & figuring out what we will want/need when we go FT.

This winter we will be getting the house ready to sell - repairs, painting, and continuing to clean out. (My DW has always been "less is more", however I have been more of a "if we have room for it, why not keep it" guy. Planning to put the house on the market early spring 2015. If it sells quickly, we will get a small apartment for a few months.

Also over the winter, I plan to gather the pieces and parts to make the 5er a capable boondocking home - batteries, solar, composting toilet, LED lights, etc.

One major item remains... A Diesel Dually with integrated exhaust brake capable of hauling a 16,000# 5th wheel. Plan to get that next summer, unless we find a great deal sooner.

We have "picked brain" in numerous areas of this and other forums (irv2, rvdreams, gonewiththewynns, jackdanmayer, etc.) I strongly recommend using these resources for anyone still investigating, and a big Thank You to all those who have provided helpful info over the past couple years as we have reached this point. Our new mantra: "Just one more year!"

Judith & Mark - Class of 2015

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually 6.7 L Diesel

2011 Heartland Bighorn 3670 (38')

Blog: http://www.yourpcgeek.com/blog

Hello class of 2015!

We originally signed up for the class of 2016 but have decided to retire February 1, 2015. We bought our Mobile Suite in March and plan to leave the cold of Southern Indiana for warmer weather for a month or two. We will then come back to prepare our house for sale and get rid of "stuff" so that we can go fulltime and possibly Workamp. We have talked about and planned for this for about 5 years now and are ready to move forward. Our plan at this time is to put the family heirlooms and a few personal items in storage for now with the intent to have a "home base" somewhere, sometime. It's still a little overwhelming thinking about getting rid of the rest. Our main concern right now is where to go in January. Does anyone have any suggestions? Florida? Texas? We feel we need to be getting something reserved but also wonder if we are too late for the upcoming season.

Mark & Darcy

2015 Here I come! House has been on the market for a month but has only had 3 showings with no offers. My location has a down market still. So my guess is that my house may sell this fall but most likely next spring. Then I will be able to order my RV and then likely a used MDT. House is 2/3 empty and hopefully all cleared out B4 XMAS! Have been rving in TT weekends and vacations for 10 years and so looking forward to going full time - can't wait!

D.O.

D.O.

Update- We are very close to our goal. We've been living in our 5th wheel on our property since Aug. 19. We've been clearing out our owner's apartment in our small motel, readying for a manager to move in so we could leave for the winter on Nov. 1. On Wednesday of this past week, we've accepted a purchase offer on our motel and hope to be closed by Halloween. It's a strong deal and should go through without problems. We've got that long to empty whatever personal belongings we have remaining, then it's off into the sunset, or sunrise, or whatever sun we may encounter down in the southern states. And we'll do it totally unencumbered!

A good weekend! Barbara's UK pension came up with payments backdated to 2012 and we used that to pay off her car 2 years early!! Then we spent all weekend cleaning out closets and pricing stuff for next weekend's first yard sale. We even managed to fit in the RV show at Pomona CA but we were disappointed with that.

Still we did dropped in to Bass Pro and caught some clothing we needed on sale.

I've just about decided that we're putting the house on the market in April and if it sells fairly quickly DW will be retired and I can work on the road so we'll HIT THE ROAD!! If the house doesn't sell we can hang around until it does, no biggie.

Happy Campers!

Brian and Barbara

2009 Monaco Cayman DP 38'

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Yourpcgeek49, Norton83, and D.O. Donn welcome to the class. An update on us; We have gotten 2 of the remodeling projects done. Two more to go. We are on the way to pick up our new 37 ft coach. Since this is the our first coach we will be learning how to use all the different systems for the next 2 to 3 days. Then the long drive home.

OH...... did I mention that we have never driven anything this big before. :o

Enjoy the ride.

We are now on the road seeing this great country of ours. Let the fun will begin!!!!

Only room left for us to update is the master bath. We got our appraisal - better than we could have hoped, even with the dated master bath.

I have hit a wall selling things on Craigslist and Ebay. We have about decided to have a huge sale at the end when we have removed the few items we are keeping from the house, invite in all the friends, neighbors, co-workers, ply them with snacks and booze and tell them to make offers. I will let it all go cheap!

Hub spoke with an Airstream engineer yesterday and got all of his questions answered. It is finally starting to feel "real".

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never again think a negative thought. ^_^

Tow vehicle - Custom 2015 Freightliner M2/106 -Cummins ISL with Allison 3000 transmission, Reading service body

Residence: 2015 Airstream Classic

Update: Operation retire & travel

Kevin and I are getting closer to RV retirement fulltiming.

We are closer than a few years ago

• we have the motorhome
  • towed vehicle
  • camping memberships
  • two kid with a job skill - one unemployed

What stopping us - just waiting on the kids...My 28 year old stepson is unemployed but looking for work.He has security guard training but has a tough time finding work.

Our 21 year old is in LVN school but finishes March-June 2015. She still wants to be an RN but we couldn't afford the $100,000 RN nursing school tuition in Southern California. She is going to community college or find another option for RN schooling.

Goal Date: Mid to late 2015 :D

Meanwhile learning all we can-

Part Timing twice a month in Southern California.

Buying our new motorhome has made this time so much better for me & Kevin. We can camp together. I love it!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 31SA

2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

RV Blog: http://seizethedayrvadventure.com/

First yard sale today and did we ever clear out some junk (Oops meant valuable collectors items). We hit it right putting our Christmas decorations out - they all sold before 10am! Two big boxes of it. We didn't make a ton of money but enough to put in the RV emergency cash fund. We love applying new savings, surprise payouts and cash for stuff we sell into a fund that means that we get one step closer to hitting the road. We're both fired up about it today and to top it all I backed the rig into exactly the right spot in the drive first time!! Woo Hoo, never done that before. Practice must be paying off. We have another yardsale scheduled next month and I'm planning a separate motorcycle yard sale and inviting all my BMW club and Antique Motorcycle Club friends over. That should make BIG hole in the junk (oops extremely rare collectible items) in there.

Brian And Barbara

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

Just got back from Junction City (outside of Eugene) Oregon where we pick up our coach. We were there for 3 days learning about all the systems in the coach and how they worked. We video taped the service tech who was showing it all to us, so we can review it later. Had a slight problem with the coach that we will have looked at later this week. It is either the alternator that is not put out enough voltage or we have a bad cell in one of the new chassis batteries. The chassis battery was dead when we tried to start the coach after registering at the campground we stayed at. This is after traveling about 250 miles on Friday.

We are really motivated to get this house cleaned out and sold by next April.

Enjoy the ride

Scott & Suzanne

• 2 weeks later...

Well it is official. My husband and I are both retiring in February and in March we will be going to Canton, TX so he can become a certified RV inspector. We will be spending the winter sprucing up the house to put it on the market at that time also. Still have stuff, stuff, and more stuff to get rid of but the timing is not so great for garage sales. May have to wait til spring to do that with whatever I can't get rid on on craigslist or ebay.

We went to the Workamper Rendezvous last week and greatly enjoyed it and are super pumped to get going. Just so much to do between now and then!! If all goes well though we plan to be in NC in May for the birth of our 3rd grandbaby, in Wisconsin in June for a family reunion, and possibly a stint at Amazon in October. So much to do and so many places to see!! We definitely want to do an Escapade at some point too.

Looking forward to meeting you all along the way!!

Mark and Darcy

There's so much you have to do before starting the fulltime lifestyle. Need to select a domicile, get insurance ( even though I will have Medicare), decide where you want to go and if you plan to workamp or volunteer. I plan to workamp to help supplement my income. Really looking forward to getting out there and just enjoying life. I've learned a lot from this forum. The people here are very helpful andNo question is too dumb. Ask a lot--everyone here is willing to help.

I agree with you that going fulltime in an rv is a process it's not and over night thing there's lots of things that noobs need to know. you just don't go out and buy and rv and drive off into the sunset that would be totally insane. I think that a lot of these noobs fantasize about how great it is to live on the road and how cheap it is. it can be cheap only if they make it cheap by being frugal. as they need to know that there's expenses that go alone with that like fuel (not cheap!!) insurance cell bill health ins mail forwarding services charges as well. your paying for the privilege to be a roamer but in the end it's well worth it to me. but just like a stick and brick house they will have maintance and repairs as well. one more thing they need to realize is that if there rving around an urban area and if they go to an rv park they would cost most because of the area and convinces vs being out in the boon docks. and if they think there gonna run all over the east coast boon docking for free at parks well theres less parks back east than out west ( not commercial parks either ). this is an excellent site as well and i'm glad I found it!! another thing that cracks me up is these noobs that have to driver 800 miles a day to get where there going burning fuel!!! why not drive 200 miles a day and find a spot and enjoy the sights along the way!! and if they think that boon docking in a wal mart parking lot is gonna be free think again I bet they would be stocking up on supplies while there parked for the night LOL :rolleyes::D

ganto -- you're on the money and totally agree! There's a lot to learn about fulltiming. The more I read the more I understand. I've been planning my fulltime experience for three years now and still have things I need to consider and work out. I'm not one who has a house to sell (rented all my life and what a mistake) so won't have any income from selling so it's my savings, social security, 401k and pension from work. I'll have to be very frugal but I know I can do it. I've worked over 48 years and am tired of the day to day routine of a job. For those that want to do this but don't feel they can, you can do it. It just takes a thought out process. I'll be retiring December 2015 and look forward to seeing parts of the US that I have not seen. Just like ganto said -- you don't have to race to where you are going and drive 600 miles or more. You're retired!

• 2 weeks later...

Yard Sale 2 is next weekend. I'm going to put my entire collection of Military History books up for sale, my Dad's memorabilia from his service in WW2 I'm scanning and the originals will be donated to his regimental museum in UK (with the blessing of the rest of the family). Kind of hard to let go of that but it's not gone it's just being saved for future generations.

We're camping in Pio Pico TT park near San Diego CA this weekend and there are lots of snowbirds here. It's the first time we've camped with fulltimers and their stories have us fired up and wanting to do it NOW!!! We're staying 4 days instead of our usual 2 day weekend and experiencing the park without the weekenders is way cool.

See Ya

BnB

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

We took another step toward fulltime this past weekend. We attended Escapee's Bootcamp in Livingston. It was a great experience and one that will help keep us safe on the road. One of the most significant parts was the Smartweigh program. We were weighed and passed in all categories. The trailer is fine. The truck is close,but should be ok even after we add the remainder of our stuff. The next step is the estate sale and house sale.

Bill & Cindy I have to agree 10,000 % about Boot Camp, we did it in Congress AZ in January/February and it litterally changed us from "Wannabees" to "Gonnabees" in a weekend! Go for it, you worked all your life for a paycheck. go out there and enjoy what YOU earned.

We just had Yard Sale #2 and I have to say Barbara and I were kind of dreading it. The first one was "Valuable Rare One of a KInd" items (Junk) but now we are getting into the stuff we cherrish. We are both huge readers. Barbara likes mysteries and romances and I am nuts about WW2 history and especially fighter pilots and the Battle of Britain.

We steeled ourselves and I supposed secretly hoped it wouldn't sell. We had 4 bookshelves each 10' long full overflowing with books. I was determined that come hell or high water I was going to sell mine. Barbara was of the mindset that there were books she would never sell, and we would need to have a storage unit somewhere to keep them in. The closer we got to the day the braver she got and I was astounded at the number of shelves she had cleared for the sale. Being me, I was lazy and didn't put them in the boxes of stuff labelled "Yard Sale" until thursday when I took every one of my books except 1 and put them in the pile ready. Barbara perked up after that and a lot more of her collection got added to the pile.

Today we set up before dawn (and the professional yard sale'rs were already driving by in the dark)! We put everything out. We'd advertised on Criagslist and with every club and association we belong to. Things were kind of slow for the first couple of hours then a nice young retired Marine came by with his Wife and Father in Law. He liked WW2 history and she liked the classics. Between the 2 of them they bought about 30% of the books we had and we spent at least an hour talking about people we knew and places we'd been.

After they left I asked Barbara what she thought we should take to Goodwill and at the same time made up my mind what I would give up. To both our surprises we decided to let it all go. We had seen how much pleasure our "Stuff" could bring to other people, and considering how much benefit organisations like Goodwill can gain from donations to give back to our local community we both felt good at the end of the day.

So don't be afraid. All our possesions are dear to us, but in the end it's only "stuff" that's holding us back.

Break the bonds of "Stuff", set yourself free!

More stuff will be for sale later!!

BnB

bnbrv.blogspot.com/

ezdays, on 30 Oct 2014 - 06:15 AM, said:

ganto -- you're on the money and totally agree! There's a lot to learn about fulltiming. The more I read the more I understand. I've been planning my fulltime experience for three years now and still have things I need to consider and work out. I'm not one who has a house to sell (rented all my life and what a mistake) so won't have any income from selling so it's my savings, social security, 401k and pension from work. I'll have to be very frugal but I know I can do it. I've worked over 48 years and am tired of the day to day routine of a job. For those that want to do this but don't feel they can, you can do it. It just takes a thought out process. I'll be retiring December 2015 and look forward to seeing parts of the US that I have not seen. Just like ganto said -- you don't have to race to where you are going and drive 600 miles or more. You're retired!

I am just starting to plan my full timing life style planning. yes there's a lot to learn. and it's a whole process. I probily won't do this till i'm retired but it's good to do your research since full timing is not for everyone. I often wonder how many people run out and buy an RV and decide that full timing is not for them :rolleyes: . though I do agree with what kirk said on buying a house unless you see some reason to!! once I decide to retire i'm selling the house and everything in it and down sizing that will mess with your head to deciding what your willing to part with and what your not willing to part with. being a trucker I have seen most of the usa but not on my time I still don't get to see everything :( it's not like you can drive 100 miles and park :ph34r:!! I have always been a roamer I love traveling. my thing is gonna be spending the summer up in Alaska and seeing the sights the wild life sun sets!! I was watching this youtube vid and the poster was talking about Alaska and needing a passport to go up through Canada to get there. I take it that she don't know about the Alaskan highway system you can go up to Alaska on a ship :o

ganto, on 18 Nov 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:

I am just starting to plan my full timing life style planning. yes there's a lot to learn. and it's a whole process. I probily won't do this till i'm retired but it's good to do your research since full timing is not for everyone. I often wonder how many people run out and buy an RV and decide that full timing is not for them :rolleyes: . though I do agree with what kirk said on buying a house unless you see some reason to!! once I decide to retire i'm selling the house and everything in it and down sizing that will mess with your head to deciding what your willing to part with and what your not willing to part with. being a trucker I have seen most of the usa but not on my time I still don't get to see everything :( it's not like you can drive 100 miles and park :ph34r:!! I have always been a roamer I love traveling. my thing is gonna be spending the summer up in Alaska and seeing the sights the wild life sun sets!! I was watching this youtube vid and the poster was talking about Alaska and needing a passport to go up through Canada to get there. I take it that she don't know about the Alaskan highway system you can go up to Alaska on a ship :o. I was up in montana one time and I got to watch the sun rise it was the most beautiful thing it was like being in gods country

Archived