Tire Pressure Monitoring System

dsimpson

I purchased a Pressure Pro TPMS in January 2011 to monitor 10 tires. The batteries are starting to expire. I am trying to decide whether to replace the sensors with new ones, buy a new system with new features, or purchase a new system from a different manufacturer. Ten new sensors will cost me $37 each. Is that a good price? Any new features that would justify buying a complete new system? What about a TPMS other than Pressure Pro?

I have the TST system. You can replace the batteries on the sensors. I like it as it works well

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

We had the pressure pro and it served us well for several years. Like you our batteries were about to expire so we purchased the TST system for less $$ than to replace all our batteries in the pressure pro and it is of the latest technology. The TST has worked well for us IMO both systems are very good systems for us it was a cost vs benefit decision.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have the TST 507 system with 8 sensors. I only change batteries when one shows up on the monitor that it is dead. On my way back to my home base 2-3 weeks ago one died. When I made my next pit stop I removed the sensor, sat down at my kitchen table wth a cold glass of ice tea from the fridge and changed the battery. Problem solved and back on the road in sort order.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

Doug,

From what I've seen the batteries cost about what you've quoted. If you look around you might find them lower like svRV stated. Our PP system is getting up in age too and I'll probably have to replace them in about 2 years. I've been very satisfied with the PP system and will just bite the bullet and pony up the $$$ to replace batteries rather than switch systems. Do a little advertising and searching on eBay, Amazon, Craig's list..... Perhaps you'll get lucky. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

I just ordered a full set of spare Energizer batteries for my ten TST 507 sensors at $0.77 each including shipping. Changing them is an easy process, and even easier on mine since I removed the rotating security covers.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I just ordered a full set of spare Energizer batteries for my ten TST 507 sensors at $0.77 each including shipping. Changing them is an easy process, and even easier on mine since I removed the rotating security covers.

Where did you order them from?

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

I purchased a Pressure Pro TPMS in January 2011 to monitor 10 tires. The batteries are starting to expire. I am trying to decide whether to replace the sensors with new ones,

The batteries should last you longer then 4 years 9 months.

I replaced mine when they were 9 years 6 months old and still working. But they would lose the signal every once in a while.

I did take them off every year when sitting for several months in the winter.

I never did have the monitor low battery light come on.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Same here on battery life for the pressure pro system. ours were in year number 9 and we figured they might go out at any time. The monitor also needed software upgrades .We just went with the TST system with the latest technology IMO they are both excellent systems.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I purchased a Pressure Pro TPMS in January 2011 to monitor 10 tires. The batteries are starting to expire. I am trying to decide whether to replace the sensors with new ones, buy a new system with new features, or purchase a new system from a different manufacturer. Ten new sensors will cost me $37 each. Is that a good price? Any new features that would justify buying a complete new system? What about a TPMS other than Pressure Pro?

I think it is a personal decision. If you like the system you are with, you may wish to just have the sensors replaced. I believe from the year you mentioned you have sensors that have permanently installed batteries so you can't change them yourself.

When we started looking to buy at tpms system. PP was the 1st place we looked but the cost for a 12 sensor system was more than I was willing to spend. We went with the 510 TST system as we didn't want to bother with changing the batteries, the cost was over $400.00 less & it showed temperature and pressure. That was 5 years ago and we are thoroughly happy with the system. It saved us twice in those 5 years.

Let us know what you decide. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

I bought a Pressure Pro in 2009. We have a 42' motorhome and tow a Jeep. So 12 tires. By 2013 a few of my Pressure Pro sensors needed to be replaced. So I had exactly the same situation as you do. I decided to get a TST. I called the factory in the south east and ordered the complete system including 8 motorhome sensors and 4 car sensors, plus the signal booster I was told I needed.

When the package arrived I received the TST control unit, 8 motorhome sensors and 1 car sensor, plus booster. So I did not get a complete shipment. So I called TST a couple of days later and asked why they would send me 1 car sensor as most cars have 4 wheels. They were nice enough and said they would call me back. About this time I examined the TST system. It did not seem as well built as the Pressure Pro. I also tried replacing the battery on a couple of the sensors. I found that about half of the sensors sent to me by TST had very small screws on so tight I could not unloosen them with any of the 3 jewelers screwdrivers I had. The screw heads were too small to use my regular screwdrivers. I began to have second thoughts. Yes I could have gone to the hardware store and found a screwdriver that worked. But in my opinion it was not that easy to remove the very tiny screw and replace the batteries. And when you remove a cover on the sensor you have to be very careful to make sure the seal is water proof when you replace it.

So when TST called me back I asked for a return authorization. They gave me one and I sent the unit back. About a week later they returned my money. I called Pressure Pro and ordered new sensors.

Of the two systems I think the PP has a nicer control unit. It is specifically designed for the purpose and is very easy to read and use. I also think the PP sensors seemed a little more solid than TST. However, TST does read temp along with pressure. For me another advantage of PP is that it works fine without a signal booster.

Frankly, I don't think either the PP or TST are as good as the system that came with my Jeep tow car. The Jeep's sensors are in the rim inside the tire. It works perfectly. All the time. Since new. I had to return one of the 12 new PP sensors as it was defective.

TST sells an inside the tire system. The problem is you have to dismount all your tires to install it. So lots of money. If money was no object I would get an inside the tire system. Likely TST if PP still did not offer one.

Bob & Barbara
2002 Affinity 42' tag
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2012 Airdale Terrier

Hi Bob

I'm really sorry you had such a problem with your TST system. What you experienced has not been the norm at all for me or my customers but when you are spending a lot of money, you have to be satisfied with your purchase. I only sell products that we use or make ourselves and in the 5 years I have had the TST {I did use both systems so I was familiar with them} I did not have your bad experience. Not having to deal with changing batteries, etc is one of the reasons I stayed with the 510 system as I don't have to think about that. I just return the sensor with $19.95 after the battery life is gone and a replacement sensor is sent to me but I do understand how people would prefer having batteries to change if they are on the road compared to sending a sensor in. I don't know who you spoke to about your problems but I hope, how your situation was handled, has been addressed & taken care of by the higher ups at the company.

As I said to Doug, what you feel is right for you is the system you should go with & I still feel that way. I do feel it is good to read about all experiences as that give a potential buyer more to draw from before plunking down a large sum of money. Hugs, Di .

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors

We also have a PressurePro system for 12 tires, purchased new in May 2012 and we were ensured they were "fresh" sensors.

One sensor died in June 2013, first abruptly reporting excessively high readings (169 psi!) even when not installed on a valve stem. Eventually it failed to read at all.

This spring we had another sensor fail to read at all.

Late September of this year, another sensor stopped transmitting. In the last 2 days, 2 more sensors have stopped transmitting.

We always removed the sensors in the "off" season (7 months) and stored them in a climate-controlled environment. Very disappointed that so many have now failed in just 3 1/2 years. Not sure what we're going to choose next.

Michelle

Our sensors are always installed. We went 8 years on PressurePro sensors before we pr-emptively replaced them.

Not because of failures, just wanted to be sure we didn't have any failures. Turned out a good move because the new sensor came with improved seals.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

IMHO, TST is the best in the industery. We had issues with out TST 507 and they happily replaced sensors, monitors and antennas until our problem was resolved. Fantastic customer service!.

When we get our MH next year, I am going to have their internal sensors installed - as I understand it, those sensors have a 7 year battery life. That should easily exceed the life of the tires.

Bob & Anne-Marie Williams

| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego bikes |

| Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime |

event.png

What the hey... Dutch & Di are TST folk?

Well howdy then and a big thanks! Lovin my 507 :P

Did I say thanks already for the extra O rings?

Yep we are 5 years and still goin`

You're welcome for the extra O-Rings. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048

I have had my pressure pro system for 8 years now and changing it from the truck/trailer to a class A. Can not find the right location to put the antenna or booster to sense all the tires or should I say keep sensing all the tires. It will sense all the tires sitting still, but as soon I start moving I loose tires. I have 8 on the coach and 4 on the toad. I have the booster on the back end of the coach down low and facing forward, but the antenna still sits the dash as I have not found a way to get it out of the cab area. Any ideas on where I should mount the antenna or booster?

2008 Tiffin

Allegro Bus 43 QRP
2006 Honda CR-V

Archived