Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GlennWest

Mount inverter on top of batteries?

Recommended Posts

As many know I have 3 battery pak of Nissan leaf batteries. The individual paks are held together with all thread rod with end plates, battery cells sandwiched in there. I fabed some angle iron to make it solid and mount in my Teton. So I have total of 12 rods sticking up from batteries. There is at least 2 feet of air space above them. I can use rod extensions and install my Magnum 44448 pae inverter. Magnum manual states base of unit can get 190 degrees. Planly states no wood surface. How much gap should I leave under the inverter? Although a little heat might actually help in winter. Sounds crazy but lithium gives off very little heat.So why not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That what I was thinking to. Opens a lot of doors using lithium. How much distance do ya'll recommend between batteris and inverter?  I am thinking 2" ought to work

Edited by GlennWest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I'd do a 4-6" just for air flow between the pieces.  If the inverter back can reach 190*, then over time that can cook any plastic parts nearby.

I'd agree with this and if it were me, I shoot for about 6' of separation (if you have the room).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glenn, thermodynamics and heat transfer etc was one of my worst subjects so take this with a grain of salt. That being said if you were to consider an Inverter may be operating at say 3000 watts that's a lot of BTU in heat energy that needs dissipated and transferred. Regardless of the manufacturers minimum space and separation requirements I would go for the most possible separation your space allows even if more then "necessary".

John T   NOT a heat transfer expert by any means lol so no warranty, talk to Victron or consult their manual for recommendations versus a guess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Glenn, thermodynamics and heat transfer etc was one of my worst subjects so take this with a grain of salt. That being said if you were to consider an Inverter may be operating at say 3000 watts that's a lot of BTU in heat energy that needs dissipated and transferred.

A lot less heat than you think, John.  You have to account for the efficiency of the inverter.  If a 3000 watt the inverter is 90% efficient at high power (most are) the maximum waste heat will be 1/10th of the input power, or 300 watts.  The rest of the potential energy goes out to the loads.

I used to tune broadcast transmitters that way, for maximum output and minimum exhaust heat.  When solid state transmitters came out with Class D switching power devices (the same method used in modern inverters) it became possible to see a 50,000 watt transmitter sending less than 5000 watts (17k BTU/hr) of waste heat out the exhaust.  In most cases the transmitter just dumped the heat into the room where an exhaust vent or an air conditioner carried it away.  A far cry from the 30-40% overall efficiency of tube transmitters.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, often an Inverter will be operating at FAR LESS then its absolute max rating IE less heat. Id still recommend as much separation as possible to be on the safe side.  

John T 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I will get a sheet of Lexan and put across top of batteries. It is very heat resistant. Bolt unit to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checked my 4448 with about a 240 volt 2500 watt load. Sides and front ambient temp. Top [big side with grill] running about 115 f. I have mine mounted on wall so all heat goes up through the grill. Ambient air temp about 88 f.

Edited by jcussen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jcussen said:

Just checked my 4448 with about a 240 volt 2500 watt load. Sides and front ambient temp. Top [big side with grill] running about 115 f. I have mine mounted on wall so all heat goes up through the grill. Ambient air temp about 88 f.

metal wall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

metal wall?

Plywood. Unit is spaced about 1/2 inch off because of feet. No indication of any heat being transferred to the wood. Used IR gun on back of plywood and it is at ambient temp. Appears most of the heat produced comes out of the top grill.

But I am inverting, know from other inverter/chargers, more heat is produced when unit is putting out a big charge. I don't use my unit for charging.

Edited by jcussen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It only pulls max of 60 amps when inverting from battery. also charges at 60 amps

Edited by GlennWest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After thinking about this, I believe not worry about height. Install a plywood section and put cement board on top. That way it be fire proof and have good support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, GlennWest said:

After thinking about this, I believe not worry about height. Install a plywood section and put cement board on top. That way it be fire proof and have good support.

I was thinking just a piece of plywood since the fans inside the inverter force the air out the grill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lockmup68 said:

I was thinking just a piece of plywood since the fans inside the inverter force the air out the grill. 

Magnum plalinly states bolt to nothing flamable and mentions plywood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Magnum plalinly states bolt to nothing flamable and mentions plywood.

Looking at all the install pics on the internet, guess a carpet covered basement wall in an RV meets that requirement? :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I have seen many on plywood wall. Seen them on carpet also. But to be fair, I don't see any 4400 watt units mounted period. I will have a pair of them and can see them near max some. Full summer, DW cooking, dryer running. But accourding to Jcussen his don't get nowhere temps Magnum stating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Yes, I have seen many on plywood wall. Seen them on carpet also. But to be fair, I don't see any 4400 watt units mounted period. I will have a pair of them and can see them near max some. Full summer, DW cooking, dryer running. But accourding to Jcussen his don't get nowhere temps Magnum stating.

At those power levels I'd be more concerned about the high current connections getting hot than the inverter itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...