Mount inverter on top of batteries?

As many know I have 3 battery pak of Nissan leaf batteries. The individual paks are held together with all thread rod with end plates, battery cells sandwiched in there. I fabed some angle iron to make it solid and mount in my Teton. So I have total of 12 rods sticking up from batteries. There is at least 2 feet of air space above them. I can use rod extensions and install my Magnum 44448 pae inverter. Magnum manual states base of unit can get 190 degrees. Planly states no wood surface. How much gap should I leave under the inverter? Although a little heat might actually help in winter. Sounds crazy but lithium gives off very little heat.So why not

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

That what I was thinking to. Opens a lot of doors using lithium. How much distance do ya'll recommend between batteris and inverter?  I am thinking 2" ought to work

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I'd do a 4-6" just for air flow between the pieces.  If the inverter back can reach 190*, then over time that can cook any plastic parts nearby.

I'd agree with this and if it were me, I shoot for about 6' of separation (if you have the room).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Glenn, thermodynamics and heat transfer etc was one of my worst subjects so take this with a grain of salt. That being said if you were to consider an Inverter may be operating at say 3000 watts that's a lot of BTU in heat energy that needs dissipated and transferred. Regardless of the manufacturers minimum space and separation requirements I would go for the most possible separation your space allows even if more then "necessary".

John T   NOT a heat transfer expert by any means lol so no warranty, talk to Victron or consult their manual for recommendations versus a guess

13 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

Glenn, thermodynamics and heat transfer etc was one of my worst subjects so take this with a grain of salt. That being said if you were to consider an Inverter may be operating at say 3000 watts that's a lot of BTU in heat energy that needs dissipated and transferred.

A lot less heat than you think, John.  You have to account for the efficiency of the inverter.  If a 3000 watt the inverter is 90% efficient at high power (most are) the maximum waste heat will be 1/10th of the input power, or 300 watts.  The rest of the potential energy goes out to the loads.

I used to tune broadcast transmitters that way, for maximum output and minimum exhaust heat.  When solid state transmitters came out with Class D switching power devices (the same method used in modern inverters) it became possible to see a 50,000 watt transmitter sending less than 5000 watts (17k BTU/hr) of waste heat out the exhaust.  In most cases the transmitter just dumped the heat into the room where an exhaust vent or an air conditioner carried it away.  A far cry from the 30-40% overall efficiency of tube transmitters.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Just checked my 4448 with about a 240 volt 2500 watt load. Sides and front ambient temp. Top [big side with grill] running about 115 f. I have mine mounted on wall so all heat goes up through the grill. Ambient air temp about 88 f.

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

11 minutes ago, jcussen said:

Just checked my 4448 with about a 240 volt 2500 watt load. Sides and front ambient temp. Top [big side with grill] running about 115 f. I have mine mounted on wall so all heat goes up through the grill. Ambient air temp about 88 f.

metal wall?

14 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

metal wall?

Plywood. Unit is spaced about 1/2 inch off because of feet. No indication of any heat being transferred to the wood. Used IR gun on back of plywood and it is at ambient temp. Appears most of the heat produced comes out of the top grill.

But I am inverting, know from other inverter/chargers, more heat is produced when unit is putting out a big charge. I don't use my unit for charging.

Edited by jcussen

Foretravel 40ft tag 500hp Cummins ISM  1455 watts on the roof, 600 a/h's lithium in the basement.

22 hours ago, GlennWest said:

After thinking about this, I believe not worry about height. Install a plywood section and put cement board on top. That way it be fire proof and have good support.

I was thinking just a piece of plywood since the fans inside the inverter force the air out the grill. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

1 minute ago, lockmup68 said:

I was thinking just a piece of plywood since the fans inside the inverter force the air out the grill. 

Magnum plalinly states bolt to nothing flamable and mentions plywood.

14 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Magnum plalinly states bolt to nothing flamable and mentions plywood.

Looking at all the install pics on the internet, guess a carpet covered basement wall in an RV meets that requirement? :)

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Yes, I have seen many on plywood wall. Seen them on carpet also. But to be fair, I don't see any 4400 watt units mounted period. I will have a pair of them and can see them near max some. Full summer, DW cooking, dryer running. But accourding to Jcussen his don't get nowhere temps Magnum stating.

15 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Yes, I have seen many on plywood wall. Seen them on carpet also. But to be fair, I don't see any 4400 watt units mounted period. I will have a pair of them and can see them near max some. Full summer, DW cooking, dryer running. But accourding to Jcussen his don't get nowhere temps Magnum stating.

At those power levels I'd be more concerned about the high current connections getting hot than the inverter itself.