About to pull the trigger on TOGO

While it is accurate that not all bands are supported, for the most part it should operate acceptably.  I'm probably going to buy one as well, knowing that it is somewhat of a compromise. But nothing really acute. As a frame of reference, our Homebase - which is the original - also does not have all the bands. This can limit my speed in "certain" situations. But frankly, for just browsing and not heavy duty speed requirements, it really does not matter if I have 20 mbps or 40 mbps. Both are acceptable. In a particular set of circumstances it may be that the device is not optimal. And also consider its lifetime. I expect to replace it within 2 years.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I've been happy with my AT&T Mobley and it's $20 a month unlimited data plan.  Same thing, it's not a state of the art cell modem and only uses a limited number of bands but it's worked fine for me.   I watch quite a bit of streaming HD video (Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.) along with doing other online stuff.

Edited by Lou Schneider

i've chosen not to buy a TOGO and the associated AT&T data plan.

In my case, I already have superior cellular and wifi hardware.  And my current data plans are large enough to meet my needs. 25 GB/month on a Verizon plan through FMCA, and unlimited through an AT&T Mobley plan.

But for many full-timers, the AT&T $360 per year (unlimited plan) seems VERY attractive. The TOGO seems to be easy to install, and good enough for most folks.

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

On 10/13/2019 at 7:07 PM, Jack Mayer said:

While it is accurate that not all bands are supported, for the most part it should operate acceptably.  I'm probably going to buy one as well, knowing that it is somewhat of a compromise. But nothing really acute. As a frame of reference, our Homebase - which is the original - also does not have all the bands. This can limit my speed in "certain" situations. But frankly, for just browsing and not heavy duty speed requirements, it really does not matter if I have 20 mbps or 40 mbps. Both are acceptable. In a particular set of circumstances it may be that the device is not optimal. And also consider its lifetime. I expect to replace it within 2 years.

Hey Jack, is the homebase still available through ATT? I looked and could not find anything. As I have a friend who want to cut the cord from Comcast. What they charge is getting out of hand.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

The only thing that has held me back is I have a B with a steel roof and don’t know if the signal will penetrate the roof. I’d have had one long ago otherwise. Wineguard says yes the signal will be degraded, but can’t/won’t say if it will be unusable or not.

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

On 10/15/2019 at 8:53 AM, dewilso said:

The only thing that has held me back is I have a B with a steel roof and don’t know if the signal will penetrate the roof. I’d have had one long ago otherwise. Wineguard says yes the signal will be degraded, but can’t/won’t say if it will be unusable or not.

We tested the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 hardware on our all metal bus conversion - and found the signal still quite usable inside.

The Togo/ConnecT (same hardware) is a nice simple package - and the plan is one of the best options out there right now. 

For our overview of it: http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/togo

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Got my ToGo Wednesday, will get it up on the roof over the weekend to install but may wait to activate until our next trip out. In the back of my mind I keep thinking the Data Plan might disappear...so may activate right away!  🙂

96' Vogue PrimaVista, CAT 3176b, 10.2 litre, Allison HD-4060

Mollie, Rubie, Cassie and Maggie.......all rescued King Charles Spaniel's

I ordered one yesterday. Have had no word from them since. I saw the Winegard version in Camping World today and they were $209 but I assume that is a different version. I'll be PO'd if that turns out not to be the case tho...heh. It was really light but I suspect that was an empty display version.

Is there a slot on the dome for the Sim?

I got an email from Winegard mine is on the way and scheduled for a Tuesday delivery.

On 10/13/2019 at 9:07 PM, Jack Mayer said:

Howdy!

Jack, I also have one of AT&Ts homebase accounts with 300gbs plan. Do you know if you are able to remove the sims card from the homebase unit and place it into another hotspot. We are beginning to have problems with our homebase unit.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

Just looking at the dome I see no way to look inside without some disassembly. Someone said TOGO inserted the SIM before it ships. Ah wait I see a card inserted into a slot near the bottom. The slot is indented and covered with a piece of lexan about the size of a large postage stamp. If you remember what those are...heh. So you could pull a couple of screws and get to it.

I installed mine yesterday.  Physically very easy to install.  Logically it’s a PITA.  The software is very clumsy.  It does not install gracefully using an iPad.  BTW, you MUST use a mobile device to install and manage it.  They used to have a web browser interface but they’ve done away with it so if you don’t have an Android or IPad/iPhone you’re SOL.

The first installation attempt was using my iPad.  I ended up getting tech support on the phone.  They themselves don’t like the program.  We ended up switching over to my Android tablet to install it and it was much better.

We’re getting about 12 Mbps down/15 Mbps up where we’re sitting.