Fresh Water Fill

Not sure if I am supposed to turn on the water pump when I fill my fresh water tank using the city water. I have always left the pump off unless I am not hooked up and therefore need to use the pump to draw from the fresh water tank. When hooked up I always leave the pump off. This morning while filling the tank I accidentally bumped the pump switch and turned it on and I think the tank filled faster. What does everybody do, pump off or on?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

3 hours ago, Twotoes said:

This morning while filling the tank I accidentally bumped the pump switch and turned it on and I think the tank filled faster. What does everybody do, pump off or on?

When dry camped of course mine is ON and I wouldn't be over concerned if it was left ON as I was re filling my fresh tank, besides, the little woman may need tank supplied water inside the RV while I'm outside filling. What one should avoid is having it ON if there's no water in the tank and it runs dry.  On or off doesn't make much difference to me provided the pump doesn't run dry or there's a risk of a leak. Sure turn it OFF if you prefer, I'm sure some do and some don't. If its OFF there's a better chance of a complete fill (before its back on at least lol)  

The only way I can think the tank may have filled faster ????????? ( I wouldn't take a bet either way on that lol) is if tank venting or air exiting might somehow? have been improved. When I begin my fresh water fill and air has to necessarily exit the tank mine sometimes  "burps" (sudden exiting of tank air)  after which it fills better and air exits as fast as water enters.  

So to your question do I leave my pump off or on????????  YES I LEAVE IT OFF OR ON LOL.  Id say its more often left ON and I don't have to mess with it. Its if I'm at a park and hooked to a water hose its OFF. Again to your question, unless pump suppled water is required, I don't see any reason it HAS TO BE ON when filling...….Maybe the other fine gents have a reason it HAS TO BE ON when filling???????? Have I done it wrong these 49 years of RVing!!*&^%$#   

John T 

Edited by oldjohnt

4 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Not sure if I am supposed to turn on the water pump when I fill my fresh water tank using the city water. I have always left the pump off unless I am not hooked up and therefore need to use the pump to draw from the fresh water tank. When hooked up I always leave the pump off. This morning while filling the tank I accidentally bumped the pump switch and turned it on and I think the tank filled faster. What does everybody do, pump off or on?

That's called "ear horsepower".  Loud engines always go faster than quiet engines.  Ask any Harley rider.

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Ask any Harley rider.

Pilots think that way too! 

If you run the pump while the fill valve is open the pump then draws water from the bottom of the tank and pushes it into the tank fill line. While I doubt it would be significant, I would think that it could make the fill take longer and it also means that the pump will run constantly. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

That's called "ear horsepower".  Loud engines always go faster than quiet engines.  Ask any Harley rider.

450 pounds two up makes loud too :)

6 hours ago, Twotoes said:

When hooked up I always leave the pump off. This morning while filling the tank I accidentally bumped the pump switch and turned it on and I think the tank filled faster. What does everybody do, pump off or on?

Did the pump activate? You were filling, but was the system calling?

Spot

Yes. The pump began to run while I was filling. I let it run for a minute and then shut it back off. It seemed to fill faster with it on but I was afraid I might damage the pump so I shut it back off. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

3 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I'm lost. My water fill is a hose stuck in a fill spout.

Some RVs have a valve that allows you to fill the potable water tank from the city hose connection.

water-valve-plate-300x282.jpg

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The water tank will not fill faster with the 12V pump running, it is either pumping water out of the tank or simply recirculating water.

It really doesn't matter if you leave the pump switch on or off, the pump will only run when there is a demand for water pressure. If city water pressure drops below the onboard pump pressure setting the pump runs, exactly like it would if you were not on city water and opened a faucet.

If the pump runs when no faucets are open or call for water, you have a water leak.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961