Credit card limit at gas pump when filling-up

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it set with my credit card (cash back) to text me an alert when fuel is purchased.  So far, it's only been when I purchase but in the past that wasn't the case. 

One does need to monitor purchases by credit card. 

We also use Quicken to reconcile everything.  Have done that for over 30 years. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

So a question that came to my mind is what if the couple DID have a receipt?  Would or should the LEO just say, ok, and let them go on their way?

Also, I know that if I had been stopped for not paying for gas I paid for and didnt have a receipt, and my options were either to go back and pay for it, or be able to show I did pay for it, or go to jail, when I got back to the dealer and eventually was able to show I DID pay for the gas, and the mistake was theirs, I would expect some compensation for my time and trouble, lets say $200.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

I have my credit card set to send me an instant e-mail with purchase location, amount, time, etc. I usually have it before I am even back in the vehicle. So I have no need for paper receipts, or to worry about unauthorized credit card use going undetected. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

same as mptjelgin.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

52 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

I have my credit card set to send me an instant e-mail with purchase location, amount, time, etc. I usually have it before I am even back in the vehicle. So I have no need for paper receipts, or to worry about unauthorized credit card use going undetected. 

We have the same on all cards.  It isn't about it going undetected, it is about REDUCING the chance that your card will be compromised because when it is it is a hassle to get a new one if you are traveling.   And in same states (AZ and Texas this year) the problems with pump scanners is real.   That's one of the reasons I have taken to going in to prepay, plus the fact that if I go in, I can use ApplePay (or whatever is on some other phone) and reduce the possibility of my card number getting in the wrong hands.   

And some of us are so old that we remember when each month we had to check statements against receipts (I know, we're talking ancient here) and hand enter them into our home accounting book - everything done on paper!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

I don't, but if I did I'd go online and check them.

I guess I don't put as much trust in the card's bill as you do since we use the cards far too much to remember every purchase, who from & the amount. We track ours and consider the money spent just the same was if it were a checking account, paying the bill in full each month, after reconciliation with our records, just was used to be done in the days of checking account use. Looking online you see the same thing that your bill will show.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 1 year later...

Our coach is diesel.  I have the EFS fuel card and fill up at truck stops in the truck lanes.  I have put as much as 125 gallons in my coach and it does not cut off until full.  Biggest advantage, I do not pay posted prices.  I paid fleet discount prices just like the truckers pay.  Usually saves me anywhere from $0.16 to $0.50 per gallon.  It is a debit card tied to my checking account, not a credit card.  Info can be found here:  https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/  .  If you apply, it would be great if you would show Ronald Norton as the person who referred you.

Ron
2020 Ram Longhorn 6.7 4D SB
1989 Avion 34V

Years ago we were chased down for not paying.  I had tried my cc a couple of times and it failed.  The clerk in the small town noticed and just turned the pump on.  This was before the pumps had much of a screen.  We went back and paid.  

Another time I received a call from a LEO about pumping gas without paying.  He called me at home and asked if I had a grey pickup.  I answered yes.  He said you failed to pay for gas about 30 minutes ago in a town 4 hours away.  I said no I didn't and you called on my home phone.  My pickup is also diesel.   Sorry he said.  There must be a mixup.  Like others I have alerts set on our cards for every purchase to send an email.  It happens almost immediately and I don't ask for or keep receipts.  I caught  some fraudulent use one time.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift