5th Wheel Tug

Bubblechaser

We have too many chunks of real estate remaining and a few have bad paths to the parking spots so......we have too many types of ...."TUGS"....to wiggle trailers into spots that LESS than ideal.

Perhaps my ....LEAST-Favorate-Tug is the CAT 980 loader with Log Forks this "TUG" can whip ANY RV around like a RAG doll......or the Hysterical 12k fork lift works ok ......but the Bobcat Skidsteer is ok but the trailer blocks your view.....not a problem with the CAT 980 , shucks just pick up the RV pick it up 10 Feet and look under it while in transit......

Oh did I mention......with ANY of these .... "TUGS" you can REALLY cause some damage to your RV for two major reasons...... "TUGS" tend to be "overpowering" ......and.....often the parking spot is WAY, WAY too unsuitable for reasonable parking in the first place.

At the end of the day......if you ...."Need"....a tight to park, you might be at the wrong parking spot....  

One final comment regarding.... Pros parking......after too many decades piloting too many kinds of aircraft I was fortunate to never have dinged a airplane ...... However...... several were removed from service when pro-tug crews incurred "hanger-rash" when moving aircraft in close quarters..... really when one aircraft is towed into TWO (or more) during the same tow.....ouch.....$$$$$

Drive on.....(tug....... Uhggggg)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bubblechaser just asked a simple question I think some of you where little rough. One reason ppl dont come to rv forums is the way ppl reply curtly to newbie or anyones questions your way is not always the right way and that's my opinion. Someone check my spelling and grammar please I've had some do that.

2012 Nuwa Champgne 38CKRD

2012 Dodge Laramie 3500

Full timing since 11/20/2012

event.png

24 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

We have too many chunks of real estate remaining and a few have bad paths to the parking spots so......we have too many types of ...."TUGS"....to wiggle trailers into spots that LESS than ideal.

Perhaps my ....LEAST-Favorate-Tug is the CAT 980 loader with Log Forks this "TUG" can whip ANY RV around like a RAG doll......or the Hysterical 12k fork lift works ok ......but the Bobcat Skidsteer is ok but the trailer blocks your view.....not a problem with the CAT 980 , shucks just pick up the RV pick it up 10 Feet and look under it while in transit......

Oh did I mention......with ANY of these .... "TUGS" you can REALLY cause some damage to your RV for two major reasons...... "TUGS" tend to be "overpowering" ......and.....often the parking spot is WAY, WAY too unsuitable for reasonable parking in the first place.

At the end of the day......if you ...."Need"....a tight to park, you might be at the wrong parking spot....  

One final comment regarding.... Pros parking......after too many decades piloting too many kinds of aircraft I was fortunate to never have dinged a airplane ...... However...... several were removed from service when pro-tug crews incurred "hanger-rash" when moving aircraft in close quarters..... really when one aircraft is towed into TWO (or more) during the same tow.....ouch.....$$$$$

Drive on.....(tug....... Uhggggg)

Having served in the Navy as an Airedale sailor I have towed many aircraft in my day including the Blue Angels F-4s/A-4s and even Barney Google. I never scratched an aircraft because I always had "wing walkers" as ordered. Tugs serve a purpose and in this case my F-350 dually long bed is just too big. The landing spot is just fine it's the approach thats a little tight. Thank you for your insight your sarcasm is funny and thank you for your service.

25 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

My local independent RV shop uses a fork lift with a fifth wheel hitch device mounted on the forks.  That may or may not be an option for you.  Certainly larger than the tow dolly and possibly more expensive.  Or not.

Thanks for the post. This is a residence and unfortunately a fork lift is not an option. Have a great evening 

I used an older 5th wheel hitch, welded on some tube steel and attach it to my forklift which allows me to put 5ers pretty much anywhere I want to.  I am proficient in backing up trailers(I own many) but sometimes the FL just is the better tool for the job.  And then I have the FL for other jobs.

Marcel

I very much appreciate your input into this topic. However, this is in a residential area it's at my home and I do not have access to a forklift. What you say makes absolute sense and if I had that kind of a situation I would definitely proceed as you outline. I would prefer not to park it on someone else's property or to pay the storage fees. And at the same time I like having my eyes on it at all times while it's parked in front of my home. Thank you once again I really appreciate your attention to this matter.

Bubblechaser, the last place I worked we had a "Park-it" powered dolly to park our 20ft enclosed trailers. We had two of them and a very tight place to park them in. I could do it if we were just parking one of them but not both. The "Park-it" did the job but it was a chore, we were on crushed granite, so it sometimes turned into a wrestling match if they were loaded, but it was a quality built piece of equipment. I just don't know how it would work on a 5th.

i by passed most of the postings. but first learn how to park, back-up. even pull forward.

pulling a bumper pull, or a fiver is nothing like a little sports car.

just because someone has a class A does not say he can drive a 18 wheel rig, getting one these days they only use a small two axle truck with heavy ring pull trailer, and auto transmissions. even some of the otr guys are a fail.

me i have over 30 years pulling long trailers, doubles, bad weather, ice, snow, rain, high winds, etc, i have done a lot of "extra legal" loads, had to get into and out of places that boggle the mind.

even ran a yard goat spot for over a year, would still be there but got bumped out by seniority.

with this said i am not trying to put the poster of this thread down. just to me it is first nature. i have had a couple places where getting the fiver in and out took a lot of care as less than a couple inches to play with.

it takes time to learn how to do this, and maybe it is just not possible to get it in there. try a easier spot first. get the feel of your truck/trailer combo. no magic here. just lots of practice.

as for a mule only thing i can think of is a heavily modified (pre computer)  industrial powered pallet jack. as i know of nothing worth salt on the market for a fiver. except one that is corded, but it must remain on very level flat concrete.

good luck

32 minutes ago, Not Quite Yet said:

Bubblechaser, the last place I worked we had a "Park-it" powered dolly to park our 20ft enclosed trailers. We had two of them and a very tight place to park them in. I could do it if we were just parking one of them but not both. The "Park-it" did the job but it was a chore, we were on crushed granite, so it sometimes turned into a wrestling match if they were loaded, but it was a quality built piece of equipment. I just don't know how it would work on a 5th.

I have been looking at the Parkit 360 and called them. The only unit they sell for a 5th wheel costs over 4k which I cannot afford. I can get the fiver to within 30 feet on my dead end street but can't get it on the side of my driveway where I have electric, water & sewer. I am working with an asphalt street and a concrete driveway. Based on the videos I've seen this dolly/tug I need should not be a big deal but most on the forum says it is. I have a lot to think about and before I spend 2k I wanted as much information as I could get. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. You are a gentleman and a scholar. 

23 minutes ago, packnrat said:

i by passed most of the postings. but first learn how to park, back-up. even pull forward.

pulling a bumper pull, or a fiver is nothing like a little sports car.

just because someone has a class A does not say he can drive a 18 wheel rig, getting one these days they only use a small two axle truck with heavy ring pull trailer, and auto transmissions. even some of the otr guys are a fail.

me i have over 30 years pulling long trailers, doubles, bad weather, ice, snow, rain, high winds, etc, i have done a lot of "extra legal" loads, had to get into and out of places that boggle the mind.

even ran a yard goat spot for over a year, would still be there but got bumped out by seniority.

with this said i am not trying to put the poster of this thread down. just to me it is first nature. i have had a couple places where getting the fiver in and out took a lot of care as less than a couple inches to play with.

it takes time to learn how to do this, and maybe it is just not possible to get it in there. try a easier spot first. get the feel of your truck/trailer combo. no magic here. just lots of practice.

as for a mule only thing i can think of is a heavily modified (pre computer)  industrial powered pallet jack. as i know of nothing worth salt on the market for a fiver. except one that is corded, but it must remain on very level flat concrete.

good luck

I appreciate getting good information from someone with as much experience as you obviously have. I have no way to get the experience of backing this fiver other than to just do it. I've been pulling trailers and fivers for about a year-and-a-half now and feel fairly confident. This parking spot in front of my home is just off my dead end Street and I need to get the trailer to one side of the driveway to hook it up to electric, water, and sewer. If I have to park it on the other side of the driveway I can live with that but I'd rather not. The videos that I have seen lead me to believe that using a small tug or Dolly to move this trailer the last 30 ft into position should not be a problem. Both surfaces are paved one is asphalt one is concrete and there's very little slope. The dollies that I'm looking at should be able to handle this fiver based on capacities, pin weight and GVWR. My best friend has been operating heavy equipment and heavy trucks for over 30 plus years and he tried it and couldn't get it in that position with my F-350 dually either. I just can't quit on it I have to try and I wanted to get as much information from as many people as I could, especially from people with experience like yours. Thank you for taking the time to write your reply to my request. I deeply appreciate it.

To extend the sewer hookup you can just connect 2 or 3 sewer hoses, or do what I do at our daughter house.  I use a macerator pump and a 100'   3/4" water hose to pump out the tank.  BTW the shorter the hose the better.  In our case it is almost 100' to the sewer drain.  

Macerator pump:  https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Release-RV-Macerator-Pump/dp/B076KT254R/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1Y38J3Z7FUD7S&keywords=maserator+pump+for+rv&qid=1551963776&s=gateway&sprefix=maserator%2Caps%2C190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Water & elect are much easier to extend.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

23 hours ago, Bubblechaser said:

Having served in the Navy as an Airedale sailor I have towed many aircraft in my day including the Blue Angels F-4s/A-4s and even Barney Google. I never scratched an aircraft because I always had "wing walkers" as ordered. Tugs serve a purpose and in this case my F-350 dually long bed is just too big. The landing spot is just fine it's the approach thats a little tight. Thank you for your insight your sarcasm is funny and thank you for your service.

Hi Bubble,

This is a bit out of the box but it works very well in a couple of our properties with bad approaches to trailer parking....

Dollymama has a F350 Dually with a front mounted trailer hitch receiver....I have a fifth to ball hitch adapter that I hitch to the front hitch and then the F350 is converted to a poor man's forklift sorta ......some folks will faint at the load but it's just the way wussies are they carp a lot...... You would be amazed how much you can wiggle a trailer with a front hitch..... 

Old school.....but it works.. 

Drive on..... (Two hitches.......just right)

23 hours ago, Bubblechaser said:

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

2 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Hi Bubble,

This is a bit out of the box but it works very well in a couple of our properties with bad approaches to trailer parking....

Dollymama has a F350 Dually with a front mounted trailer hitch receiver....I have a fifth to ball hitch adapter that I hitch to the front hitch and then the F350 is converted to a poor man's forklift sorta ......some folks will faint at the load but it's just the way wussies are they carp a lot...... You would be amazed how much you can wiggle a trailer with a front hitch..... 

Old school.....but it works.. 

Drive on..... (Two hitches.......just right)

Thanks Dollytrolley. I bought the Parkit 360 dolly/tug and it is on the way. That should solve my problem and make things a lot easier for me. Thank you for your input I appreciated talking with you. Take care, keep your flaps up and the engine in after burner.

1 minute ago, dblr said:

Let us know how well it works out for you, just take your time and as always stop and look around to be sure.

It ships out of Canada tomorrow to New York and then 3 days from New York to here so I probably I'll have it by the end of the week next week. It'll take a day to charge the remote controller so I don't imagine I'll have any results on this for a couple of weeks but I'll let you know. I went and bought a deep cycle marine battery for it today and that should work pretty good. I will take it very slow especially with something new like this and I'll have about two or three other pair of eyes watching for me so we should be okay. Thanks again for all your help I really do appreciate your input and I hope this thing works as well as it ought to.

8 hours ago, Bubblechaser said:

Thank you Al. I just spent $4100.00 on the Parkit 360 for 5th wheels. It is the Cadillac and will do the job. Thanks again for your help.

You're welcome. Ouch! $4100 is not chump change.  That will be an interesting experience, moving a 5th wheel with a powered dolly.  Wish I was there to watch. 😊

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

15 minutes ago, Al F said:

You're welcome. Ouch! $4100 is not chump change.  That will be an interesting experience, moving a 5th wheel with a powered dolly.  Wish I was there to watch. 😊

I hope it works as advertised. Good reviews and impressive video's it should be pretty cool.

Archived