Coach Batteries

Broncohauler

Time to replace my 6volt interstate batteries. They’ve lasted about 3years and died hard at a bad time while dry camping. 

Thank god for my Honda 2000-I back up generator. 

So I’m looking for some good  and reasonably priced replacement batteries  

Can’t seem to find it in the resource guide? If I’m missing it please direct me so I don’t take up peoples time. 

My interstates came from Costco and I don’t remember the price?

any recommendations?

what are you using and are you happy?

thanks Charlie 

I highly recommend Fullriver batteries.  I have experience with several different Fullriver battery types, both 6 volt and 12 volt.  They have all been basically bullet proof and provide excellent service.  The set in my truck running my inverter are going on six years old and are showing no real signs of degradation (although they are used lightly).  I have a set in my 5th wheel that are used pretty heavily and power the entire coach (less the AC's).  They are about three years old and also still going as if new.  I have several friends who have installed them in their coaches at my recommendation and they are also very happy with them.  I put them on par with a Lifeline battery as far as quality, but at a cheaper price.  They are Chinese built batteries, but they are built to very stringent quality standards (unlike typical Chinese built products).  They offer a full line of batteries, so they pretty much have a battery for every possible use and configuration in an RV.  You will still pay more for them than a typical COSTCO battery, but they should last much longer so the costs amortize out longer and end up being cheaper.  I fully plan to get 7 to 10 years out of my banks before they need to be considered for replacement.

I have also had good luck with US Battery 2200 XC 6 volt lead acid batteries.  I put eight of them in my last 5th wheel six years ago.  They power the entire 5er (less the AC's) and are still in use by the current owner of that 5er.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 1/6/2019 at 2:55 AM, Chad Heiser said:

(unlike typical Chinese built products).

I know this is sort of off the topic, but that is not really true any more.  That perception goes back to the days when American companies sourced China goods exclusively to get a cheaper product to sell here and of course when you are only interested in price the quality suffers.  The Chinese can and will build the highest quality product you want.  It all comes down to the specifications required by the customer.  For example China will build a tire either the absolute cheapest (and poorest quality thereby) way possible, or they will build you the best tire in the world.  It just depends on the specs and quality control required by the American company contracting them to build it.

In my business of custom wheels I used to buy exclusively American made wheels (American Eagle), and just assumed that in the wheel business you had to open every box and inspect the wheel before selling and possibly fix imperfections and accept a certain amount of returns for issues like pinhole leaks.  Until I started to try some China wheels.  Far better quality control, never have to inspect the wheels, and no returns for defects.  Price being the same, and quality being better, now all the wheels we sell are Chinese.  Not proud of no more American wheels, that is just the facts of our business.

So don't assume poor quality just because it is China, you are entirely correct in your battery example, you just have to know what you are buying and find that quality product.

When I was running dual 6 volt battery's. Always used Golf Cart battery's. Can't remember the name, but the old set is still in the shop. Can check for you on the brand. We would get 5 years out of those. Went through 2 sets. Then just went with dual 12 volts.  As we were not dry camping, so did not see the extra cash.

event.png

depending on what you need to power and how you plan to recharge the bank. I have a bank of Duracell label,  6V egc2, by East Penn, the same as Deka. I am pleased . If you get only 5 years, you need better charging parameters or basic maintenance.   

Chad I wish that I’d seen your reply earlier, my fault for not taking a final look before making a purchase. 

I did in fact end up buying another pair of Interstate 6volt golf cart batteries from Costco $93.00 each. 

Let y’all know how they work out this time. I plan to turn the power off to the batteries when not in use this time. And my put on a solor tender of some type. 

(Suggestions welcome)

sometimes I over think these things because we do mainly dry camp, but end up running the generator at some point anyway for cooking or just battery recharging. It really doesn’t matter if the batteries last 1 day or 3. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Archived