Alternator charge gauge/amp meter

ARGO

I have a gen1 2000 VNL. Recently, was running and everything went nuts, speed dropped off, gauges flashed, AS wouldn't shift, yadda......

Turns out alternator took a dump & I was running on the batteries for a long time. My VNL does not have a gauge in the panel or I would have caught it. No warnings popped up either. Anybody else w/ similar VNL have a gauge in the dash? If it was an option I'll add one to mine. BTW,  I "McGuyver'ed"  it & got home.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

There should be a volt, temp, etc..   gauge on the fuel instantaneous display. You must scroll up on that display. 

Atleast I can check all those things going down the road. No there is not a separate gauge for that subject on our VNL.

Now that separate gauge maybe a wise thing to do. 

Just my thought,    Vern

I lost an idler pulley bearing and burnt the belt off so lost the alternator.  I believe I got a message on the display saying something like check engine at next stop or something like that.  I also had a portable generator and a battery charger with me and was able to make the last 200 miles to home. 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Tks for the replies. Yeah, I usually watch fuel economy & nothing warned me. Interesting thing , I was stuck in 2nd gear because the  AS wouldn't shift ! Try getting across an intersection to a parking lot like that.  I'm gonna' check a few VNL's dashboards at my favorite toy store, I have a couple of blank holes on the left side cluster.

I bought a cheap 12 volt splitter on Amazon, it had a bonus volt readout on the plug.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07919SSGH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Tks, lots of cig lighter digitals available. But since I have 2 blanks at the top of the left dash cluster, I'd really like to do factory IF it was ever available there. Besides, end of lighter in my truck isn't visible from driver's seat, & I don't smoke, so I put a USB port there.

I had an alternator fail on I-90 in SD. 2001 Volvo went into constant alarm but did not show any errors .  Switched into the GAUGE mode and moved up to voltage.  Only showing 11VDC.  Like others, I have a 40 amp Progressive Dynamics Converter so I powered up the generator and continued on.  Sioux Falls Volvo said it would take 3 days to get one in.  Not wanting to wait, I drove back to my brother's home in norther IL and ordered one from Amazon.  $135 and more amps.  The local electrical shop wanted $250 to rebuild the old one so I let him keep it. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Mine was also 135A.  The replacement was 170A.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0731C2RM6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see the price has gone up since I bought mine.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Archived