Full Timing in a Toy Hauler

FTNewbie

Is anyone in this group living full-time in a Toy Hauler?  My wife and I have just started the planning to move to full-time in about a year.  we are looking at trailers, and trucks to pull.  Looking for some like minded people with experience to have conversations with on what they wished they knew before they sold the house and pulled out.  Our goal is to full time for a year, looking for a new place to set down roots, then buy a new piece of property as a home base.

We are looking at "Fuzion", but interested in peoples experiences with other brands as well.

What do you wish you knew before you started.?

Howdy!

We have been fulltiming in A Cyclone Toy Hauler for the last four years. We tow it with a MDT and carry a Smart Car in the TH. If I had it to do over today it would not be in a Cyclone. It would be either a DRV Fullhouse our better yet a New Horozon costom build.

” Happy”

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

My first full-timing was in a fifth-wheel that was not a Toy Hauler.  I sold it and bought a Toy Hauler from Grand Design.

I love it!  I think "toy hauler" is a misnomer.  It's really a multi-purpose room.  I can lower the queen bed and it's a guest room.  I can put up the table and it's an office or a dining room.  I enter from the garage side door and it's a mud room.  It has my washer/dryer so it's my laundry room.  I extend the ramp and it's a patio.  When I'm moving to a new campground, it's a storage room for my lawn furniture and ebike.  

At this point, I wouldn't want to full-time in anything other than a Toy Hauler.

My two cents.

- Ken

RVing since 1983. Now Full-timing.

5er: 2010 Dutchmen Grand Junction 340RL

PV: 2014 Dodge 3500 Diesel 4x4 SRW

Make sure you have a plan on how you will use the garage when you are stationary.  My wife and I were setup in New Hampshire for 4 months and never found a beneficial use for the garage.  Turned into a big doggie play room.  Sounds crazy, but it simply didn't work for us. 

That, coupled with the lack of a comfortable living room, doomed the 2014 Cyclone 4000 to a quick trade-in on our current 5er and we couldn't be happier..

Thanks All for the input.  We actually plan to haul our "Rzr" during the first year(s), with plans to intentionally go to locations we can ride.  So not having the garage is not an option, and we like the idea of using the ramp as a patio.  

do you struggle to find locations to stay

Tried semi-full time in our Voltage for 4 months...didn't work for us.  Have two dogs and the living area was just too small to make it work.  Ended up with a DRV Mobile Suites towed with a HDT (smart bed) and full time - couldn't be happier.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

19 minutes ago, FTNewbie said:

Thanks for the response.  those are nice rigs!

Hi FTNewbie,

Welcome to the forum. I have a question for you. What model RZR do you have ? There is only one RZR that will fit side ways on the back of a hdt. That model is an 800. The other RZR's are just to long to go side ways on the back of the truck. It sounds like, if you want to take your RZR with you, you will need a toy hauler. I have a RZR 800 myself. I carry it side ways on the back of my truck.

Best of luck with looking for a trailer,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

We have been full time since Sep 1, 2010 and are currently in a 41' "standard" fiver.  A toy hauler would not work for us but I'm sure one would for many people.  Just depends on your lifestyle and wants. Enjoy whatever you decide on!

Fulltiming since September 1, 2010

2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW Lariat Crew Cab

2012 Montana 3585SA

11 hours ago, alan0043 said:

Hi FTNewbie,

Welcome to the forum. I have a question for you. What model RZR do you have ? There is only one RZR that will fit side ways on the back of a hdt. That model is an 800. The other RZR's are just to long to go side ways on the back of the truck. It sounds like, if you want to take your RZR with you, you will need a toy hauler. I have a RZR 800 myself. I carry it side ways on the back of my truck.

Best of luck with looking for a trailer,
Al

We have a 900 Trail.  and planned on putting it in the garage of a toyhauler

I have owned two and used three toyhaulers to live in for a few years now. Started with my brothers Winners Circle for 3 months, found I, as a single person. could live in the decreased space. Found and purchased a Weekend Warrior slightly used the following year and started my full time RV lifestyle. The WW didn't last as long as I expected and I upgraded to a Spacecraft custom toyhauler. I have a 14 1/2 foot garage in a 42 ft total length trailer. I went with the air ride semi running gear since I pull with a HDT and would not ever go back to conventional trailer axles. Other than some current HVAC issues I have had almost 5 years of comfortable living.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We considered a TH the first time we went full time.  For us it seemed like the actual living space was similar to a 24' travel trailer, just not big enough for full time use.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Full time in a Carriage 39sv2. The garage is a moto garage and porch usedfor outdoor footwear and clothing, tools, small projects. Setting on lawn chair behind the big back door bug screen telling motorbike stories..

The more you park at “back in to no view” locations the less use you will get from the garage door patio area.

Most haulers have size large tank capacity and nice ground clearance. 

Overhead clearance not so much.

Like every “rv” there are comprises.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Friends brought their Honda cycle with them in their toyhauler.  When the cycle was out their extra room was their den.  They rolled out carpeting, had two wall-hugger recliners, t.v., end tables and desk.  To make it more 'homey' they hung a nice-looking drape across the rear door.  If the site was scenic and allowed for opening the door they opened the rear door and had a bug screen to enjoy the lake or river.  It really was nice.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Archived