Jackalopee, has a red light, I don't have any running-tail lights on the trailer

mr. cob

Howdy All,

I am going a bit crazy, all loaded up and ready to head to the WCR, and now for some reason I don't have any clearance-running-tail lights on the trailer, yesterday everything was working.  I looked at the Jackalopee, it has a red light lit up where it says "running lights" on the printed circuit board.  Can anyone offer a clue as to what may have happened, I have checked the connections to the best of my ability, have looked at fuses, sprayed contact cleaner in the trailer plug where it hooks to the truck.  I am lost.  Thanks for any help or suggestions you can pass along, and NO I do not have any type of electrical test equipment, I learned long time ago to not mess with electrical stuff as I have never mastered the art of keeping the sacred smoke within the wires.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

17 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

You said you checked the fuses... does that include the trailers’ fuses? 

Howdy DM,

Darn, I forgot to look at those, I'll do it right now.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Howdy All,

I checked the fuses in the trailer, they are good.

If I unplug the trailer light cord from the truck, and turn the truck headlights ON, the red light in the Jackalopee is still lite, does this give anyone a clue?

Dav e

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Inboard Deutch connection at the sleeper floor and the screws on the trailer plug are the only two connections past the LED's.  Maybe it got pulled too tight or maybe it got pinched when the bed went on?  Without a meter or a test light you are kind of stuck.  Want to run the truck down to me tonight?

3 minutes ago, Scrap said:

Inboard Deutch connection at the sleeper floor and the screws on the trailer plug are the only two connections past the LED's.  Maybe it got pulled too tight or maybe it got pinched when the bed went on?  Without a meter or a test light you are kind of stuck.  Want to run the truck down to me tonight?

Howdy Brian,

I am all hooked up now ready to go except for loading Donna's stuff in the truck and trailer she just got home from work a few minutes ago.  If you weren't so far away I'd run it down to your place, THANKS for offering, I'll check the Duetch connector as best I can and see if there is enough slack in the trailer plug wires to pull it out and have a look at it.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ronbo said:

Do the blinkers or brakes work.

Howdy Ronbo,

Yes, the blinkers and the brake lights work.  What ever the problem is I am 99.9% sure it is the truck, as when I disconnect the trailer from the truck the fault indicator light in the Jackalopee still lights up when I turn the head lights on.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

20 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Do the truck running lights also come on when you turn on the headlights?

Howdy DM,

Everything on the truck works, I am "assuming" it is either in the Jackalopee itself, or in the wires running from the Jackalopee to the trailer plug.  There may be a problem with the Jackalopee, when we wired it in I can't remember which wire it was but on one of the lighting systems it simply did not work with the Jackalopee we had to use a wire jumper from the truck side to the trailer side on one the circuits.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

It was the trailer brake passthru trace that didn't have continuity and we had to jumper.  It won't affect this.  The red light isn't a warning light, it is an indicator light that the markers are on and it has power that far.  That is a good thing.  

When you twist that Deutsch apart it is the upper part that comes off and the lower part stays in the floor.  Look at the pins in the floor part and make sure they are all the same level.  If one got pulled on it'll be a bit lower than the others.  Push the wire in from under the sleeper side and it'll click the pin into place.  Check for 12V on the female end while you have it apart.  Then check continuity from the male floor end to the trailer plug.  Then you'll know where the trouble lies.

Not to sound dumb, but make sure the headlamp and the clearance lamp switches are on, and that nothing is pushing the interrupter switch up or down.

I have a plug with lights on it to eliminate the trailer as the problem, now! I used to have to use a different vehicle or trailer depending on witch I had available.  I would realy recommend a multi tester they can be had for around ten dollars, they won't be good ones but as I think you said you were not familiar with electricity they are a good place to start. A test light can do wonders as well. Electrical work is not something to be afraid of just respected. Remember finding a fault is not the same as doing new wiring.  

Howdy All,

when I started the truck this morning and turned on the headlights all of the trailer lights worked.  Later pulled into a rest stop, turned the truck off.  When I restarted the truck and turned on the headlights I had no tail lights on the trailer.

stoped for late lunch in La Grand, when I started the truck and turned on the headlights all the trailer lights worked and stayed on till we shut down for the night.

I don’t have a clue what is happening.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

If the Jackalopee Running Lights LED lights up, it's not a Jackalopee. It's the trailer, or the cable or the socket  going to the trailer.

There is no relay involved in that circuit, it's just a simple shorting copper trace from the truck side to the trailer side..

When I troubleshoot trailer circuits I try "forcing things". Use a small 12 volts battery or charger with couple of clip leads (+12 and Ground) and try to "Light up" the different light through the harness. Easiest way to see if you have an open or a mis-wire. 

4 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

If the Jackalopee Running Lights LED lights up, it's not a Jackalopee. It's the trailer, or the cable or the socket  going to the trailer.

There is no relay involved in that circuit, it's just a simple shorting copper trace from the truck side to the trailer side..

When I troubleshoot trailer circuits I try "forcing things". Use a small 12 volts battery or charger with couple of clip leads (+12 and Ground) and try to "Light up" the different light through the harness. Easiest way to see if you have an open or a mis-wire. 

Howdy Henry,

Thanks for jumping into this thread, I was mistaken, I thought that the red light glowing in the Jackalopee was a fault indicator, like I have said many times I know nothing about wires and have no problem admitting to that fact.  I think I may have traced the problem to corrosion within the plug end of the cable that runs from the trailer and is then plugged into the truck.  I have cleaned the contacts as best I know how, have sprayed them down with contact cleaner a couple of times when we have some slack time here at the WCR I am hoping someone with my knowledge then I have can take a look at that plug and offer suggestions for cleaning it better then I have been able to.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

On 6/12/2018 at 11:27 PM, Scrap said:

It was the trailer brake passthru trace that didn't have continuity and we had to jumper.  It won't affect this.  The red light isn't a warning light, it is an indicator light that the markers are on and it has power that far.  That is a good thing.  

When you twist that Deutsch apart it is the upper part that comes off and the lower part stays in the floor.  Look at the pins in the floor part and make sure they are all the same level.  If one got pulled on it'll be a bit lower than the others.  Push the wire in from under the sleeper side and it'll click the pin into place.  Check for 12V on the female end while you have it apart.  Then check continuity from the male floor end to the trailer plug.  Then you'll know where the trouble lies.

Not to sound dumb, but make sure the headlamp and the clearance lamp switches are on, and that nothing is pushing the interrupter switch up or down.

Howdy Brian,

Thanks for your post, if all else fails I'll start to mess with those quick disconnect plugs, I remember what a bugger it was to get them connected when we installed them so I am not looking forward to working on them unless everything else checks out.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Archived