How Much Payload Can My F350 Carry??

Cotreker

Today I called Ford Motor Company and requested how much can my F350 Ford Dully 2002 carry in the bed of the truck as in a slide-in camper.  After 10 minutes on hold they came back with 2100 pounds.  That is crazy I have been hauling a camper weighing in around 4800 pounds.  Later today I called my local Ford dealer (no names) they could not tell me a hard fast number but did ask for my VIN so they knew my truck was equipped with heavy duty package.

Anyone know what the real payload value is or have an educated guess.  The sad news is that I must use the F350 to go pick up a new camper that is 500 miles away.  Not sure my Volvo 670 deck is 100% ready for this new rig.

The magic load capicity amount is: ______________

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

The surest way to get the actual payload capacity would be to load the truck as it will be when you go to pickup the camper (full tank of fuel, passengers, tools, etc.) and weigh it. Subtract that weight from the GVWR listed on the sticker usually found on the driver's side door frame. This will give you the remaining payload capacity. It will not tell you whether you might be over the front or rear axle or tire weight ratings which will depend on how the weight of the camper and other load is distributed.

Ford publishes a brochure for each year of their pickups with this type of information...here's the one for 2002:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2002/fsersdcd.pdf

However, as I'm sure you know, these numbers are for a basic truck with a partial tank of fuel, no options, and a 150# driver.  As trailertraveler said, the best way to determine the payload of your truck is to weigh it.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Also look at your tire rating. I had a 99 F350 dually that was rated at about 11,500 GVW.  My empty weight as a normal driver was 7,800 much heavier than most .

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

This is why I sold my Ford and went with a Ram 3500 DRW.  By their charts and door post sticker, I could not haul much.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

5 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

The surest way to get the actual payload capacity would be to load the truck as it will be when you go to pickup the camper (full tank of fuel, passengers, tools, etc.) and weigh it. Subtract that weight from the GVWR listed on the sticker usually found on the driver's side door frame. This will give you the remaining payload capacity. It will not tell you whether you might be over the front or rear axle or tire weight ratings which will depend on how the weight of the camper and other load is distributed.

X2^^.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Great ideas here is what I found: 

GVRW on door 11,500

Actual truck weight yesterday weighed at a roadside inspection station 8150.  3/4 fuel, two large tool boxes and tools in back seat, so on the heavy side.

And the carry value is about 3400 lbs. for  my 2002 Ford F350 4x4 DRW.  An interesting number and really the reason for me purchasing the Volvo so I can put a camper on the deck and still pull a 4 place trailer (toys: sleds and ATV's).  

When purchasing the 670 Volvo a number of folks mentioned that this was overkill; to me and my family this is really not overkill by the safest way to drive down the road with my RV and trailer.  I now have pulling power, breaking capability, comfort and tons of storage space!

Tomorrow a road trip with the F350 to pick up the new camper get it home on Saturday and load it on the deck of the Volvo Sunday.  Did I mention my 2007 Arctic Fox is for sale, hint wrong market here.

As always your input was very valuable and spot on, it forced me to get the values needed.  This was not a surprise to me it just reinforced the reason to continue doing what I am doing with the Volvo.  Note: see my build article posted recently by myself, published by the Truck Camper Magazine.

Dennis

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2018 at 8:02 AM, Cotreker said:

Great ideas here is what I found: 

GVRW on door 11,500

Actual truck weight yesterday weighed at a roadside inspection station 8150.  3/4 fuel, two large tool boxes and tools in back seat, so on the heavy side.

And the carry value is about 3400 lbs. for  my 2002 Ford F350 4x4 DRW.  An interesting number and really the reason for me purchasing the Volvo so I can put a camper on the deck and still pull a 4 place trailer (toys: sleds and ATV's).  

When purchasing the 670 Volvo a number of folks mentioned that this was overkill; to me and my family this is really not overkill by the safest way to drive down the road with my RV and trailer.  I now have pulling power, breaking capability, comfort and tons of storage space!

Tomorrow a road trip with the F350 to pick up the new camper get it home on Saturday and load it on the deck of the Volvo Sunday.  Did I mention my 2007 Arctic Fox is for sale, hint wrong market here.

As always your input was very valuable and spot on, it forced me to get the values needed.  This was not a surprise to me it just reinforced the reason to continue doing what I am doing with the Volvo.  Note: see my build article posted recently by myself, published by the Truck Camper Magazine.

Dennis

You will like the Volvo. My volvo is WAY smoother ride and quieter than my 2000 Ford f350SRW. Enjoy and some pictures.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Truck Camper Weight Calculator

Understanding tire load carrying capacity (LCC)

To the point, the tire ratings will be the trucks limitation.  If you're only going 500 miles one way and not exceeding the tire load ratings, then your vehicle should be good.

Without going into detail, I've found that the same truck (looking at new trucks on the dealer's lot) with different tires will have different GVWR's and axle ratings - and that the door post tag numbers for weight capacity will closely match the tire load ratings.  Bear in mind that the Dana 80 is rated at the Spicer axle factory for 11,000 pounds but only rated for about 9,000 pounds by Ford and others (when installed on a pickup truck).

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Rich,

The tire ratings are not always the limiting factor in the rating. They can and often are but not always. Your Dana axle might be rated for 11,000 pounds but Ford has to take into account the ENTIRE suspension system. That includes the axles themselves (spline count, bearing size, etc.) the mounting to the frame to include the sizes and strengths of the bolts and material used as well as the welds of those attachment points to the frame. The spring sizes and types, even the lugs, and wheel are taken into account.

You could put the tires off of a semi on that pickup and it will not change the load ratings one bit. New trucks that look the same will often have different ratings depending on the option the truck has, the cab design, 4WD or 2WD, trim levels, optional suspensions for towing or plowing, transmission gearing and type as well as rear axle gearing, engine size and output.

To say that tire ratings will be the trucks limitation, is not correct.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Cotreker:
Your answer will be printed on the side of your tires - look for the load rating.  (I'm assuming the tires are OEM or correct OEM replacements.)  Be sure to understand that load rating is derated when used in a dually configuration - and the tires may very well state that in their print.

The trucks payload rating will be two or three hundred pounds below the tire rating.  (Again, assuming the truck tires have not been changed from factory specs.)

GeorgiaHybrid:
Understood.   To gain my understanding of how Ford arrives at GVWR, I spend four or more days on a dealership lot just looking at the door stickers and axles (yes, on the ground, under the truck).  (By the end of the second day, the salesmen were ignoring me and I had free reign to inspect.)  

I found that the F250 and the F350 trucks used the same axle.  The big beefy looking tires on the SWR axle trucks actually has a lower GVWR for the truck - AND their GVWR was always a few hundred pounds below the tire load capacity.
Of course, optional equipment affected the GVWR, but the payload was always close to the tire load capacity.

The same axle used on different trucks, SWR or DWR - it was always the same - the door post sticker GVWR was closely matched to the tire load capacity.
The OP wants to know the payload of his truck.  I think I answered his question.

For those interested in the newer Ford truck axles, specifically, the Dana M300, read this:
2017-2018 6.7L Ford Powerstroke Axles | Differentials | Gears 

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

Archived