Place to stop half way to Austin?

13speed

We are going to leave Hot Springs on Sunday heading down to Austin. We want to split the drive into 2 days. Does anyone know of a good spot to stay about half way? It could be an affordable RV park or even just a safe place off of the highway as it will be a quick overnight.

Also I have heard about some issues with 30/35 but can't remember where the worst trouble areas are. One person did say to go through Fort Worth instead of Dallas on the 35W but that looks to be much farther. I really don't care how we go as long as we avoid tight 2 lane's. 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I can't help you with the 30/35 route or way around Dallas.  No experience traveling that route or using any overnight campgrounds.  I went to the Heavy Hauler Resource Guide and found two RV parks for big rigs. 

Still Meadow RV Park
Mt Vernon, TX

Shady Pines RV
Texarkana, TX

Then I went to the Big Rigs site and found some more.

MT. PLEASANT KOA
www.koa.com
MT. PLEASANT, Texas
Paved sites #37 and 38 are 80 footers while #46 is at 75 feet and #39 is in the 65 foot range. Thirty amp sites #35 and 36 are also paved and at 70 feet while #34 is a gravel 70 footer. FF: #37, 38 & 46. Wi-Fi.
Directions       
On I-30, exit Business 271—eastbound Exit #162, westbound #162A. Proceed north on Business 271 to the first light and take a right on Greenhill Road. You will see the park on the right just a few hundred yards ahead.
Address  2322 Greenhill Road, 75455
Phone       903-572-5005 - 800-562-5409
Email     mptxkoa@gmail.com

DALLAS NORTHEAST KOA
www.dnekoa.com
CADDO MILLS, Texas
Overnight stop only. Sites #1 & 58 are 75 footers while #59, 60, 61 & 66 are 85 feet. Spaces #58 & 59 are a straight shot in. FF: All sites listed. Wi-Fi.
Directions       
On I-30, Exit #85 and go north on FM 36 for ¼ mile to the park on your left.
Address     4268 FM 36, 75135
Phone     903-527-3615
Email      dnekoa@1starnet.com

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Yes I could have done that and thanks for posting that. Since I was asking about the roads as well as a place to stay I did not look there. I was also hoping that maybe someone knew of a place to just stay quickly like a safe rest area or similar. 

Chris, Tracey, Aria & Lola

2018 Volvo VNR 400, D13 I-Shift

2018 NH 48' Majestic

I never traveled it but, US79 looks like it would be a nice secondary route small towns and open spaces?

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Define tight 2 lanes, is that 2  lanes on the interstate with concrete barriers for shoulders? Other wise the 2 lane roads I try to drive have wide lanes or great paved shoulders.

I know Mt Pleasant has some good spots but always stop at Tyler for friends.Tyler has some nice spots but length can be a problem Last December I got a pull-thru but had to back out of the space.

I travel Memphis to Austin quite often and most of the time I30 to Texarkana and south to Marshall and Tyler, or  Mt Pleasant and south to Tyler. From Tyler either take Route 31 to Waco then south to AUSTIN on a heavy traveled hiway with construction but I don't know the present status.

Also from Tyler go south on Route 69 to Route 79 towards Austin, going this way positions you better if you are going to south Austin avoiding the I35 Parking Lot..

Clay with 2015 FF M2 106 Sports Chassis2016 41 foot FW

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I never traveled it but, US79 looks like it would be a nice secondary route small towns and open spaces?

Steve

We took US79 from Tyler to Austin a couple of years ago.  Pleasant drive, and several inexpensive campgrounds along the way.

You can probably still see our skid marks, between Keechi and Buffalo, where the brake controller locked down.:o

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 11/15/2017 at 6:21 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

Steve

79 to 21 is a good route we travel it all the time. 21 to 290 right into Austin very little traffic if any. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Gladewater, tx. Antique Capital

RVResort. Plenty of spaces and we are here also. About 12 miles from Tyler. Got my Freightliner here also. Just finished a job in Tyler. Everything full there

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Gladewater, tx. Antique Capital

RVResort. Plenty of spaces and we are here also. About 12 miles from Tyler. Got my Freightliner here also. Just finished a job in Tyler. Everything full there

That looks to be a nice park.  How about making a submission to the HHRV Campgrounds Directory at http://hhrvcampgrounds.com/campsubmission.php

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Yes, be here till Dec. 1. Headed then to Livingston Escapees

Glenn,

I am heading to Herrin welding in Kilgore to pick up my truck the Friday after Thanksgiving, I will be driving 271 to Paris so will pass close to you, If your up to it and I got the time I will stop in on my way down or on the way back, having Thanksgiving dinner with friends in the Gainesville area and then headed down to get the truck.

Hope to meet up with you then,

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived