FED UP With MIcrosoft!

Pieere

:o I was reading again today that there is a new upgrade that will fix bugs in Version 1703. 

Microsoft releases dozens of bug fixes for Win10 Creators Update, build 15063.502

Five days after Microsoft declared Windows 10 Creators Update 1703 ready for business, it re-released KB 4032188 and dozens of bug fixes, bringing the build number up to 15063.502

I believe I am done with Microsoft. I have been using an older MacBook Air and like it better and will upgrade to a newer version this September! I am so sick of Microsofts Upgrades. Why can't they make a final version and just do updates instead of a whole new build twice a year!!! Peeved to say the least! 

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Pieere,

First off this is not to try to keep you on Microsoft. The OS is like Truck or car brands. It doesn't matter which brand as long as it hauls your RV, or tush where and when it is need in another location. Our hardware is like a cell phone, just a transmission device. What counts are the ideas thoughts and friendship transmitted by the you, not your hardware or OS level.

I meant to write about that out of cycle update to the next build. 2017-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4032188) It wasn't needed by us consumers yet. I am a Windows Insider - folks who signed up to get test builds first as a pre-beta. I used it only for my now outdated Windows Phones running Mobile 10. I do not do test builds on computers any

Microsoft released the newest version to Enterprise as they get a slightly different version and the vulnerabilities and performance issues were immediately found.

Rather than wait to fix it in the next consumer version they essentially fixed it early because one or more vulnerabilities were in current versions but beyond what I surmise I have no actual information but it will be coming out.

I was caught by surprise too and it was a large update for out of cycle and my ASUS and Dell tablets failed 2-4 times before they installed properly. I just restarted and tried until they too installed properly.

So this was really a problem today for Enterprise with IT.

Sorry, I just had Lasik eye surgery this past Monday and have been slow with my normal output due to my posts about Tesla and their new Model 3 on seeking Alpha. They found my perspective worth inviting me to become a paid article contributor. And they don't delete our work after a year or two like here. I also need to move my website to a new host. I have been with my old Host, EarthLink for 18 years. I have been an Escapee since late1997/98posting here for 17 or 18 years. Time flies when you're having fun!

I am not totally abandoning my friends here, but

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have two Computers and a tablet on W/10! I'm not stating that they aren't working, just tired of the upgrades, taking up to 3+ hours to download, install and finish. Even updates take 1&1/2 hrs. as I only have WiFI! Don't even have a clue if HS internet is better! I live 35 miles from a major metro city! 

This is the reason I purchased a used MacBook Air of the 2009 vintage some months back. I upgraded the OS on it and it took maybe 20 minutes. Then added Avast, MalwareBytes It works like a champ. 

I will still be on the forum, sometimes using the tablet like I am today, just tired of upgrading, updating three W/10 devices.

High speed makes a big difference. I get impatient sometimes because I have so many different systems and they take turns having an issue with an update or taking longer. I have never had three systems have to try again and two of them twice. First time. I am building yet another system, an old XP desktop complete with screen etc. that runs like a new one. I ordered the Linux Mint (Cinammon) Discs for 32 and 64 bit systems. So I will try Linux once more as a just checking in exercise. I have a friend's computer here that has Vista and was going to Linux it too, but he needs to run Windows biz programs for his used car lot that definitely won't run on Linux. $89 bucks for a license and disk of Windows 10 home. I can get him a guaranteed refurbished newer hardware system with warranty for $89-$119 on Newegg and other websites. Then he can sell the other to another for 50 bucks and end up spending less and getting more than just buying 10.

I am really slowing down on the teching. I used to be excited for a new challenge in cleaning them up from infections and saving the data they couldn't. But it is tedious for me now. Like the Air Force, when it wasn't fun anymore, time to leave. I need new challenges. But the skills have served me well for almost 40 years now.

I'd be really aggravated if I had to deal with under 100Mbps WiFi to boot.

NO worries!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Dumping Microsoft and the wide array of software just doesn't make sense to me.

The only problem I have had with Windows 10 auto updates is that the numerous PCs I support (3 in RV, 6 in store) is that they run all the time.  Windows applies the updates and waits for a break in the action to reboot the PC when necessary.  After a few days, Windows will slow down inducing a reboot.  

My solution is to check update status every couple of days and kick off the reboot if necessary.

The three hour downloads do not happen that often and can be managed.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I'm not really a big fan of Windows in general, but W10 is dead reliable for me....but I have it all on new hardware. I NEVER have had an issue since I upgraded hardware, and the only issue I had before that was self induced. (not enough disc for the upgrade). 

I've tried the much ballyhooed Mac systems. Frankly they are not really any better than Windows 10....just different. If you are an artist maybe the Mac is better, but I'm not an artist. I've worked with PCs since they existed, professionally. Both Microsoft and Apple have advantages in their own ways. And now that there is some really excellent Windows hardware out there, one of the BIG advantages of Apple is gone.

Frankly despite everyone's moaning about privacy, I find the Google ecosphere has a lot to offer....as long as you don't have leading edge requirements. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Being in a family where 3 members have switched to PCs from Macs i don't understand why someone would buy a Mac today. 

Also having 2 friends that did switch to Macs, I understand their frustration with their Macs. One lost all his pictures after installing an update. Both have to go to the Apple store and ask a clerk how to do even a simple task. 

If you have an IPad or an IPhone there are plenty of sources on how to do things which is of course where Apple puts all their resources for upgrades and new products. 

Do you want touch screen? Sorry. Do you run PC only software. Sorry. Buy a copy of Win 10 and run boot camp. More money to MS. 

And lastly,  does Apple ever post security issues? No. They just come out with a security update for issues you didn't know about. Except for the IPad, which gets 2 or 3 security updates shortly after a major release. 

My biggest issue with MicroSoft was having to rent MS Office instead of owning it.  IMO that is ransomware on another level. Not fan of Windows 10 (I did install it on a laptop to see what it was like.).  If, for any reason, I'm using MS Office on a PC it is because I went back to work and that is what the company is using.  Fortunately, I'm retired now and MicroSoft is history to me.  Before you ask, yes I do like my Mac just because it works.  Switched three years ago and have had no issues.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

2 hours ago, Aggie79-82a said:

My biggest issue with MicroSoft was having to rent MS Office instead of owning it.  IMO that is ransomware on another level. Not fan of Windows 10 (I did install it on a laptop to see what it was like.).  If, for any reason, I'm using MS Office on a PC it is because I went back to work and that is what the company is using.  Fortunately, I'm retired now and MicroSoft is history to me.  Before you ask, yes I do like my Mac just because it works.  Switched three years ago and have had no issues.

First off, you can "purchase" a license to Office 465 Suite.

The "renting" of Office 365 Home was a major boon for us,  We still had 5 active Windows PCs and we use the features of Office 365 Professional.  Even if staggered the "purchase" of one copy of Profession every three years, we were looking at $500 a year averaged cost.  For a $100 a year, we covered all 5.  Even though we have cut back to 3 PCs. we are still breaking even and getting continual updates to the core content of the package, something that does not happen with "purchases"

And for those who believe open software can replace Office Professional, fat chance.  There no open version of PowerPoint and the Access equivalents fail to be useful. And open software also fails to have an equivalent to Outlook. 

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

3 hours ago, Aggie79-82a said:

How about the freeware programs, Libre Office or OpenOffice?

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

49 minutes ago, jc2 said:

How about the freeware programs, Libre Office or OpenOffice?

Read my previous post.  For many Libre Office and OpenOffice do not do what Office 365 does.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

In my working career, I go back to operating systems in the 1970's.   Got caught up in the late 80's with the Apple vs. Windows (IPX vs IP) argument... then Unix ver Linux, ver Solaris, ver MS Servers...   Even attended a SHARE Conference in San Fran (1993?) where the 'shootout' between OS/2 and Windows was performed in front of a couple thousand IT professionals. (OS/2 won).   

In my opinion, most of this is just opinion - what one is comfortable with and how much 'problem' are you able to put up with?   My time with Open Source software on a Linux platform was educational... acceptable, but not exceptional.   I find my Win 10, on a new Dell XPS 8900 (lots of RAM & SSD), with MS 2010 Office Professional works great - and I own the software.   

I can see problems down the road, like what to replace MS Streets & trips with... but for now, Microsoft seems to be the best for this retired computer guy.

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

It is sad the Microsoft Streets & Trips, Delorme Street Atlas USA,  and Road Trip Navigator decided to leave the market at almost the same time.  I guess the movement to the free Google Maps had its toll even though Google Maps has a lot to be desired compared to the DVD products.

The belief that free software can be as good as commercial products is one held by those who haven't used the commercial products.

We still use the 2013 Version of Streets & Trips for planning with the final route definitions determined by current version of ALK CoPilot.  S&T is easier for planning by CoPilot is current. 

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Boy are you guys bringing on the memories.

Libre office for personal use is great! (I use MS Office 2010) Compared to a couple of years ago they've come a long way. I like the new Office Idea but my Five licenses for Office Home and Biz, bought originally in a BX Military appreciation three user Office 2007 just before 2010 came out. To sell remaining stocks of 2007, they were offering free upgrades to Office 2010 a few months later when it was in the stores. Once the MS Store got my scanned 3 license per $69 MS Office 2007 they upgraded six licenses I still use to 2010 free. At that time I had XP 32 bit machines so I had to use 32 bit versions but there are no issues I have found. My computers were dual boot with both Windows 7 and XP disks so I went all 7.

My 27 years in the AF were all using MS first with DOS and then Windows for work-groups 3.1. At home I had Commodore 64s and a 128 later as well as a white box IBM clone. I eventually sold the two 64s, a 128, a rare DX64 portable with 5" color screen and two 5.25 floppies, two color monitors, One 128 monitor the 1902 to be able to use the 128s 80 column mode. I had three outboard floppy 5.25s 2 1541s and one 1571 double sided that held 360k, double the 1541s. a 128 and a promenade programming board I loaded program into EPROMs. I bought all my systems used in those days so the 128 came with the monitor which cost more than a new 128. I went to Germany in 1990 - 1997 and had an AST NB notebook computer and my desktop clone too. I got into DR DOS and AMD back then because Intel would come out with their new chip and AMD would copy and make one just a little faster or featured for half the price. Gary Kildall was the guy who owned DR DOS and was also the CP/M guru who sold almost exclusively all of IBMs OS' for PCs and some biz machines, until Gates came along with SCP DOS. Gates would come out with DOS 5 and DR (Digital Research originally Intergalactic digital research) DOS 5 would come and do real multitasking instead of faking it like Intel and MSDOS were doing. I also tried GeoWorks for Commodore and Windows which had stable multitasking desktop that preceded Windows and was better than Apple's of the very early desktop wars before MS had a stable 3.1 and developed Windows 95. I stayed with DR DOS and no mouse and my WordStar because they were the best and I was expert with them and handling upper memory with DR using Quarterdeck QEMM. Gary Kildall died in a motorcycle wreck and DR was sold to Oracle I think who wasted them without Gary.

IN 1986 I was in the Industrial technology courses on base for the BS degree and for the computer CAD/CAM part we had to use Apple Macintosh's first generation. They used a mouse that I never had and hated them. The courses were taught on base and the USAF used Windows too later and DOS in the early 80s -1994. I did not use a mouse and could not figure what they added to a computer since I could automate my tasks with .bat files (Batch). I was the NCOIC in 1995 when we switched to it and word and the HP laser-jet printers the AF bought. MY assistant NCOIC started ragging on me as the old man because I would not use Word for awhile because it needed the mouse too. I was just resistant because I had to start over, something I have done a lot of times since. I played with every kind of computer and OS and to me Windows 10 is the apex and I really like it. I am building at least one Linux Mint/Cinnamon out of a boat anchor Dell complete XP desktop system that weighs a ton! It runs great and fast with XP so I'll see how Linux runs on old equipment.

Like some of you I have been around the block a few times and Windows was always the heat. Heck in 2005 Jobs switched to the PC Intel x86 chipsets developed for Microsoft. They added one circuit that identified itself to OSX as a legitimate Apple system so Macinhacks are kept private. It is the rare Mac person than knows how to replace parts and where to get them without paying Apple the markup..

Your preference may be other than Microsoft. But right now OSX and Windows 10 are both good operating systems. Mac market share is dwindling again. These market percentages say it all. https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

The majority of the world uses Windows machines and iPhone iPad market share is dropping too from strong pressure out of the Android world and the Microsoft Surface Hybrids.

Back in the 90s maybe proprietary storage, but no micro SD Cards in their products so the users have to spend twice as much per GB of internal storage. There is a dedicated small group that won't buy anything without that Apple logo because it makes them feel they have a "better product" I find the comments of Apple folks trying to convert us heathen because they act as if they don't get big updates that sometimes has bad issues too.

Here is the Apple security page for July's security updates: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207922

Reads just like a Windows update.

Here are all the updates since 2015 and links for earlier.

Look Apple aficionados, we don't keep trying to get you to switch to Windows. I am fine with you using x86 hardware just like ours made in the same Taiwanese and Chinese factories and ]assembled by the same assembly line worker as ours. But the reality is that for every issue you point out as if only Window has those issues, the rest of us who have tried them both and other systems know there is no advantage to any OS beyond familiarity. All the OS' today are more secure than ever. And the criminals are targeting iOS and Android more than the desktops and laptops, and Windows tablets. Windows tablets are different because they run all our programs legacy and new. When the iPad runs Mac software like our tablets run Windows 10 in full, we will see instead of cell phone processors and architecture, iPads using x86 architecture that MS and Intel already developed. MY 27" All in one system I'm on now is this system: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-27-2720-aio 

It's four years old. has a TV tuner, DVD and I did not get the Bluray option. IT has Thunderbolt and both HDMI in and out so I have a dedicated Amazon Fire TV 4k hooked up to it. Mine is the i7/8GB/32GB SSD and 2TB HDD.

The current version with my specs is the $2600.00 one on this page. If you really want a 27" all in one, this Dell is a bargain. And thank god for their warranty. I had issues at first and they did not try to squirm out of replacing it or repairing it in home. It has been perfect for almost four years now.

It has an awesome touch screen and the speakers are almost as good as the Bose Companion III 2.1 system that cost $399 new. https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/products/computer_speakers_support/companion3_series2.html

They are up to the Companion 5 now but no reason to buy them. It's like the three Bose SoundLinks we have. The original mini, and also the new SoundLink mini. I got a deal on a new Bose SoundLink III for even tighter bass and much more volume. We use Amazon Prime and have three echo dots that work well with our home automation Insteon hub and receptacles for a start.

Here is a search result from Apple getting behind. Windows and Android resides on Tesla Model S class systems. Apple is now behind on 2014 Mercedes Benz class still respectable, but not 2017 state of the art. You can say you prefer them and I am all for choice for all. But when you talk reliability and security updates, and innovation, well Apple is sitting on its laurels. I'm sorry but the creativity left with Steve.

They are all computers and a commodity.

I am selling my Surface Pro 3 and My ASUS 10" hybrid T100 CHI with the Z3795 chipset, and getting one of the new Surface tablets, they don't number them after the Surface Pro 4. Thinner, faster, longer lasting 11 hour to 12 battery. It has the latest from Intel and the new artist creators controls on it are amazing, especially the new pen system.

I can't get windows phones, but we are very happy with our Moto Z Play phones with wireless charging mods that magnetically attach to the back. We don't use them because the Moto Z battery lasts two to three daya and a busy person on it all the time at least a 12 hour day or day and a half. Our phone have 32GB storage built in and I put 128GB micro SD cards on each of them and my tablets which lets me take a lot of my music along.

Microsoft dropped the Atom powered Surface 10.8" and I hear they are building a new platform and Windows version called S that will run on ARM Architecture and run on cell phone chip-sets - full Windows! 

That would be the same as Apple having a full OSX that runs OSX Mac programs on a tablet, as well as Apps. Something the iPad pro really dropped the ball on. If you like it more power to you. enjoy. My tablet can do all the same things with my typecover, as my $2800 original price 27" touch All in one.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 8/5/2017 at 9:30 AM, GlennWest said:

Park wifi your problem. We use our phones for internet, even with laptops. Park just too slow

Im not on Park WIFi I use the local Library, businesses who have WiFi for upgrades and updates!! I sure wouldn't use my Phone hotspot to upgrade or even update!

On 8/6/2017 at 6:08 AM, markandkim said:

Dump microsoft and enjoy your life. You guys are consumed by them. Haven't you learned yet?

Yes, CWould you send me a New Macbook Pro, an IPad, and IMac, Please??? I can't afford it! LOL!:D

:rolleyes: Wow! I opened up a Can A Worms!! In My opinion MicroSoft is best for business, Macs for browsing and graphics! We all have our likes and dislikes, kinda like RV said, It's like Ford, Chevy and Chrysler preference! So long as something doesn't harm one, just float our own boats! It's neat to see what others think though! 

Got the old Gears Churning though!

Ah, the Mac graphics story.  When the Mac came out, it had one advantage over Windows PCs.  The Mac OS was written from scratch and had multii-tasking which made graphics processing work better.  Apple could do this because there was no backward compatibility for the Mac, no Apple II programs, no Lisa programs could run on the Mac.

Meanwhile Microsoft was doing what business related computer companies do, provided for backward compatibility of DOS programs.  DOS compatibility was not a trivial thing like WordPerfect was THE word processing system, the core of law offices and ran on DOS.  Scrapping investments in DOS programs was cost prohibitive.

Microsoft continued the DOS-run-as-native until XP.  Even today Windows 10 can run most DOS applications as long as they do not try direct IO.  

Since multi-tasking arrived to PC, the story of graphics has become mute. But wives tales carry on.

Most of my computer life was with mainframes.  The biggest cost of OS development is retaining backward compatibility to protect customer investment in software.  Apple didn't care about that and it shows with the much smaller market share.  But Apple balances its smaller market share with higher prices/profits.  And Apple jobbed out the core of their OS to Linux.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Mark & Dale, Should I really care! I absolutely don't! MicroTrash can keep their Long winded upgrades and updates! I don't need to waste my time when I only use computers for browsing, Emails and RV forums. Very seldom do I use it for anything else. Next! :o :blink: 

Archived