Sign in to follow this  
rocksbride

Guides: Bringing Fruit, Vegetables, & Plants into California

California prohibits certain fruits, vegetables, and plants from coming into the state.  Here are a couple of handy resources that quickly give the scoop on what is and isn't allowed.

Both of these are put out by the California Department of Food and Agriculture:

HOUSE PLANTS

FRUIT & VEGETABLES

Having lost produce to inspectors during our last visit to the state, I wanted to ensure all my houseplants and groceries made it through this time. Surprisingly, most of the produce I had wasn't at risk.  Forbidden fruit became fresh mango salsa, homemade applesauce, fresh squeezed lemon juice, peeled and sectioned grapefruit chunks.  My driver was prepped with all the criteria to defend our houseplants gathered by the door.  We were ready.

Inspectors at the Blythe, CA crossing waived us straight through... they weren't stopping anyone.  LOL  The applesauce was delicious, regardless, and if I hadn't prepped, you know I would have had to leave those 5 beautiful Pink Ladies at the border.

Hope these guides help you.  They weren't easy to find even though I knew what I was looking for.

The only inspection station we've ever had fruit confiscated at is the one west of Parker at Vidal Junction.  Had to give up our apples regardless of the fact that they'd been bought at the Albertson's in Blythe!

The inspection station on I-10 between Quartzsite and Blythe has always waived us through as had the one on I-8 between Yuma and Winterhaven.  We spend a lot of time at the Pilot Rock LTVA, going into Yuma to do grocery shopping.  So of course, we come back with loads of fruits and vegetables, but we've never been questioned about what we were carrying.

That's good to know, Linda.  I can't remember where we crossed and lost the produce, but we came in from a route transiting through Salt Lake further north than Blythe.  Perhaps that border agent didn't have enough to do that day.  We were the only ones there at the time.  She got in the rig and went through the fridge.

rocksbride.

did they have a search warrant?

stepping into your rv is illegal as they are not the police,  and the police need a warrant to search. but can try to claim probable cause

On 7/18/2017 at 9:47 PM, MrSeas said:

They are also concerned about fire wood.....

Interesting about the plants and veggies.  A lot of states ban non local wood.