California prohibits certain fruits, vegetables, and plants from coming into the state.  Here are a couple of handy resources that quickly give the scoop on what is and isn't allowed.

Both of these are put out by the California Department of Food and Agriculture:

HOUSE PLANTS

FRUIT & VEGETABLES

Having lost produce to inspectors during our last visit to the state, I wanted to ensure all my houseplants and groceries made it through this time. Surprisingly, most of the produce I had wasn't at risk.  Forbidden fruit became fresh mango salsa, homemade applesauce, fresh squeezed lemon juice, peeled and sectioned grapefruit chunks.  My driver was prepped with all the criteria to defend our houseplants gathered by the door.  We were ready.

Inspectors at the Blythe, CA crossing waived us straight through... they weren't stopping anyone.  LOL  The applesauce was delicious, regardless, and if I hadn't prepped, you know I would have had to leave those 5 beautiful Pink Ladies at the border.

Hope these guides help you.  They weren't easy to find even though I knew what I was looking for.

The only inspection station we've ever had fruit confiscated at is the one west of Parker at Vidal Junction.  Had to give up our apples regardless of the fact that they'd been bought at the Albertson's in Blythe!

The inspection station on I-10 between Quartzsite and Blythe has always waived us through as had the one on I-8 between Yuma and Winterhaven.  We spend a lot of time at the Pilot Rock LTVA, going into Yuma to do grocery shopping.  So of course, we come back with loads of fruits and vegetables, but we've never been questioned about what we were carrying.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

That's good to know, Linda.  I can't remember where we crossed and lost the produce, but we came in from a route transiting through Salt Lake further north than Blythe.  Perhaps that border agent didn't have enough to do that day.  We were the only ones there at the time.  She got in the rig and went through the fridge.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Budget crisis reduced the number of inspections, most now are for commercial.  Only time they check fridge was open 07, now we are usually waived through, once in a while ask about firewood (which we never have), sometimes it is a stop, look around, no one there, proceed slowly through and off we go!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

49 minutes ago, vermilye said:

While I've always been waved through at the Blythe inspection station, I've had someone inspect the bottom of my trailer using creeper and check the vegetables in the refrigerator crossing into CA from Washington state.

You mean Canada, as the country, not CA as the state, correct?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 7/19/2017 at 6:35 AM, LindaH said:

The only inspection station we've ever had fruit confiscated at is the one west of Parker at Vidal Junction.  Had to give up our apples regardless of the fact that they'd been bought at the Albertson's in Blythe!

The inspection station on I-10 between Quartzsite and Blythe has always waived us through as had the one on I-8 between Yuma and Winterhaven.  We spend a lot of time at the Pilot Rock LTVA, going into Yuma to do grocery shopping.  So of course, we come back with loads of fruits and vegetables, but we've never been questioned about what we were carrying.

Funny as the border patrol on 10 right at the border just waived us by and did not ask anything.  And we also had a couple of apples that we bought from Blythe, CA.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

16 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

You mean Canada, as the country, not CA as the state, correct?  

Sorry for the confusion.  I was going from Washington to California, but the inspection was at the Oregon/California border (sorta skipped over Oregon!)  It was in 2011 so I don't remember exactly which road I was on, but I suspect it was US 101.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

On 1/9/2018 at 10:51 AM, packnrat said:

rocksbride.

did they have a search warrant?

stepping into your rv is illegal as they are not the police,  and the police need a warrant to search. but can try to claim probable cause

Actually they are law enforcement, carry a badge and a gun and have the right to search for fruit and vegetables if you consent which is an exception to the requirement for a warrant.  You do have the right to refuse and turn around and go back from where you came. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Kirk, I just renewed my drivers liscense in SD last year and was told by the DMV in Rapid City that because I have a PMB I had to renew in person and could not renew by mail. Renewal by mail according to them requires a physical address in SD. I looked up the law and found them to be correct. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 8:10 PM, Twotoes said:

Actually they are law enforcement, carry a badge and a gun and have the right to search for fruit and vegetables if you consent which is an exception to the requirement for a warrant.  You do have the right to refuse and turn around and go back from where you came. 

if true, then that makes another unneeded law enforcement agency to add into the police state ranks. yes i would rather have some police out there, but how many is too many?

not that i payed them much thought, but i do not recall ever seeing a badge or gun on them (truckee is the only place i have ever been stopped by the bug "police"). and there is no place to allow U-turns there.

only thing they ever wanted from me was this "new gal" wanted to see "my papers" , so after stating that my trailer was empty, she demanded, so i handed over the 3 in thick signed receipt of delivery papers. she got mad and said "get out of here".

i had complied and gave her the papers she asked for.  😕   i pull a 48 ft frozen foods van, all painted up with the logo, and ad for the company i deliver to.