David-and-Cheryl

Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs

Thank you so much for all of this information!  When I heard from an experienced RVer that the beautiful diesel pusher I just put a deposit on requires a class B license, I panicked because I had no idea how to go about getting it, and the DPS website was no help other than telling me that I did in fact need a Class B license to drive my rig. But after reading through your post, I feel like it's just another box on my to do list that I need to get check off before I can hit the road.  Thanks so much for giving me the information I need to get the correct license to legally drive my new home!

Thanks!

Kari

10 hours ago, Avelon513 said:

Thanks so much for giving me the information I need to get the correct license to legally drive my new home!

Welcome to the Escapee forums!

On 7/15/2018 at 9:14 AM, sbpierce said:

The system works exactly as you describe.  I was given a slip of paper after my 2nd test with the link and instructions.  After booking my original drive test, I did the following:

Booked my original appointment 

Cancelled my original appointment 

Rescheduled my appointment

Continually checked for better appointments and changed when available

Searched other offices for better appointments

Cancelled appointment and rescheduled at another office for more optimal time.

The system works amazingly well, and changes as soon as someone else cancels their appointment.  I got an appointment for July 5 on July 3 at 8pm that wasn't available when I checked 30 minutes earlier.

Hope that helps

It does! I'll use that information update the original post. Thanks!

David & Cheryl, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post (and update!) the information on the Class B licensing. My anxiety toward having to take the full CDL testing -- and pre-trip inspection -- was extreme. I am so glad to hear that I won't be tested on the full gamut of information contained in the CDL booklet which I originally believed due to a lack of information on the correct licensing and testing for RV's. While we only own a Class B, my parents have a 45' that we will be rallying in this fall which necessitates the licensing. Again, many thanks to you and everyone who has contributed to this thread -- you have saved me much undue stress! (Now, I'm just praying I can pass with an updated level of confidence!)

On 7/24/2018 at 2:28 AM, txntravlr said:

David & Cheryl, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post (and update!) the information on the Class B licensing. My anxiety toward having to take the full CDL testing -- and pre-trip inspection -- was extreme. I am so glad to hear that I won't be tested on the full gamut of information contained in the CDL booklet which I originally believed due to a lack of information on the correct licensing and testing for RV's. While we only own a Class B, my parents have a 45' that we will be rallying in this fall which necessitates the licensing. Again, many thanks to you and everyone who has contributed to this thread -- you have saved me much undue stress! (Now, I'm just praying I can pass with an updated level of confidence!)

I'm so glad the information was helpful! Thanks for letting us know.

David

I need to renew my original A license, will there be any testing besides vision?  Can I just walk in or do I need to schedule for a renewal?

Took me less than five minutes to renew my Class A at the Texarkana License office - no lines. Eye Vision test, pay and out the door. I already had the form completed before arriving.

Instructions for Renewing at an office with links to needed forms (See the bottom of the page for forms and ID needed to renew in an office)

Out of State Renewal - eye exam still needs to be done

Edited by TreyandSusan

Thanks for the replies.  I saw the opportunity to renew by mail but decided to do it in person.  I will be driving, our car, from Miss. to Livingston and didn’t want to get a surprise when I got there and be told I needed to schedule an appointment and have to repeat the process at a later date.  I remember the initial application process and was surprised that you couldn’t take the written test and the driving test on the same day so I had to make 2 trips.  I didn’t want to bring our rig if a driving test wasn’t required.  Additionally, at this time of the year, a scheduled driving test, that you may have been waiting weeks, or longer, to complete, be canceled because of rain.  I printed out the DL43 form and, not sure if I needed it, CDL-2, Texas Class A or B License Application Non-CDL exempt vehicles.  Hopefully I can get this out of the way before I have to start my treatment for Prostate Cancer in October.

You don't need to go all the way to Livingston, you can renew at any DPS office in the state.  If coming across on I-20, then stop in Longview and renew.  

Probably a really stupid question, but after a 2 hour wait for written test today (passed), I don't want to get this part wrong! 

On the site to schedule the driving test, you must select from category -- there is a Class A, Class B (...etc) or Recreational/RV. I am needing (& took written test today for) Class B Exempt license. I am not sure which to choose to schedule appointment! Local office said make sure to go to Commercial site, but looks to me on DPS site that the Exempt categories (Non-CDL) point toward the RV classification. For the RV category, there aren't any available skills testings prior to end of October in my town of over 120,000, but rural towns have availability as early as next week...??? If I choose CDL Class B, I can test next week in our city.

This really can't be this difficult, can it??? (I tend to make things more difficult, but this is ridiculous!)

Edited by txntravlr
remove excess spaces & quoted area

The test is pretty much the same for Class A and Class B exempt.   Go with the Recreational/RV one - - you don't want to sign up for the CDL and have a very angry examiner on your hands.    Yes, you are OVER thinking it.