Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs

David-and-Cheryl

Thank you so much for all of this information!  When I heard from an experienced RVer that the beautiful diesel pusher I just put a deposit on requires a class B license, I panicked because I had no idea how to go about getting it, and the DPS website was no help other than telling me that I did in fact need a Class B license to drive my rig. But after reading through your post, I feel like it's just another box on my to do list that I need to get check off before I can hit the road.  Thanks so much for giving me the information I need to get the correct license to legally drive my new home!

Thanks!

Kari

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/15/2018 at 9:14 AM, sbpierce said:

The system works exactly as you describe.  I was given a slip of paper after my 2nd test with the link and instructions.  After booking my original drive test, I did the following:

Booked my original appointment 

Cancelled my original appointment 

Rescheduled my appointment

Continually checked for better appointments and changed when available

Searched other offices for better appointments

Cancelled appointment and rescheduled at another office for more optimal time.

The system works amazingly well, and changes as soon as someone else cancels their appointment.  I got an appointment for July 5 on July 3 at 8pm that wasn't available when I checked 30 minutes earlier.

Hope that helps

It does! I'll use that information update the original post. Thanks!

David & Cheryl - SKP #126793
2023 New Horizons Majestic  
2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Follow us at Landmark Adventures 

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

David & Cheryl, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post (and update!) the information on the Class B licensing. My anxiety toward having to take the full CDL testing -- and pre-trip inspection -- was extreme. I am so glad to hear that I won't be tested on the full gamut of information contained in the CDL booklet which I originally believed due to a lack of information on the correct licensing and testing for RV's. While we only own a Class B, my parents have a 45' that we will be rallying in this fall which necessitates the licensing. Again, many thanks to you and everyone who has contributed to this thread -- you have saved me much undue stress! (Now, I'm just praying I can pass with an updated level of confidence!)

On 7/24/2018 at 2:28 AM, txntravlr said:

David & Cheryl, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to post (and update!) the information on the Class B licensing. My anxiety toward having to take the full CDL testing -- and pre-trip inspection -- was extreme. I am so glad to hear that I won't be tested on the full gamut of information contained in the CDL booklet which I originally believed due to a lack of information on the correct licensing and testing for RV's. While we only own a Class B, my parents have a 45' that we will be rallying in this fall which necessitates the licensing. Again, many thanks to you and everyone who has contributed to this thread -- you have saved me much undue stress! (Now, I'm just praying I can pass with an updated level of confidence!)

I'm so glad the information was helpful! Thanks for letting us know.

David

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

• 1 month later...

Took me less than five minutes to renew my Class A at the Texarkana License office - no lines. Eye Vision test, pay and out the door. I already had the form completed before arriving.

Instructions for Renewing at an office with links to needed forms (See the bottom of the page for forms and ID needed to renew in an office)

Out of State Renewal - eye exam still needs to be done

Edited by TreyandSusan

Susan & Trey Selman | email | HDT: '01 770 VED12 | 5er: '02 40' Travel Supreme RLTSOA | '16 Piaggio MP3 500 | '15 Smart Cabrio | Personal Blog | HHRV Resource Guide | HHRV Campgrounds | Recreation Vehicle Safety & Education Foundation |

Thanks for the replies.  I saw the opportunity to renew by mail but decided to do it in person.  I will be driving, our car, from Miss. to Livingston and didn’t want to get a surprise when I got there and be told I needed to schedule an appointment and have to repeat the process at a later date.  I remember the initial application process and was surprised that you couldn’t take the written test and the driving test on the same day so I had to make 2 trips.  I didn’t want to bring our rig if a driving test wasn’t required.  Additionally, at this time of the year, a scheduled driving test, that you may have been waiting weeks, or longer, to complete, be canceled because of rain.  I printed out the DL43 form and, not sure if I needed it, CDL-2, Texas Class A or B License Application Non-CDL exempt vehicles.  Hopefully I can get this out of the way before I have to start my treatment for Prostate Cancer in October.

Lou and Bette and Milo (the Maltese)

2013 F450

2015 BigHorn 3570RS

2015 Street Glide Superior Blue

Probably a really stupid question, but after a 2 hour wait for written test today (passed), I don't want to get this part wrong! 

On the site to schedule the driving test, you must select from category -- there is a Class A, Class B (...etc) or Recreational/RV. I am needing (& took written test today for) Class B Exempt license. I am not sure which to choose to schedule appointment! Local office said make sure to go to Commercial site, but looks to me on DPS site that the Exempt categories (Non-CDL) point toward the RV classification. For the RV category, there aren't any available skills testings prior to end of October in my town of over 120,000, but rural towns have availability as early as next week...??? If I choose CDL Class B, I can test next week in our city.

This really can't be this difficult, can it??? (I tend to make things more difficult, but this is ridiculous!)

Edited by txntravlr
remove excess spaces & quoted area

The test is pretty much the same for Class A and Class B exempt.   Go with the Recreational/RV one - - you don't want to sign up for the CDL and have a very angry examiner on your hands.    Yes, you are OVER thinking it.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 2 weeks later...

Did the drive test today (signed up for CDL Class B after questioning at DMV since I couldn't get a live human on the phone) and passed! Entire drive was about 25-30 minutes including highway, access roads, residential streets and lots of turns.  Some of the things I got docked for -- so maybe you can note for yourselves -- were:

• not actively (exaggerate your moves folks!) looking when crossing intersections even with green light
  • going over 35 in 35mph zone (was 40, changed to 35 along route without my knowledge -- was too busy checking mirrors than looking for speed limit signs)
  • turning off turn signal too soon after changing lanes (apparently didn't wait until entire bus was in new lane
  • when turning onto a 4 lane cross street, I swung wide and didn't go back into the right lane

Again, many, many thanks to those of you who shared your experiences -- today was much less stressful as a result!

What you got was the RV driving test.   We we did ours, I had a truck carrying gas cylinders pass me and one of the cylinders came flying backward - - I was able to slow down and avoid hitting it.   But got docked for not looking both ways at least three times at a 4-way stop.  :D       Dave had his test drive shortened when he was rear-ended at a stop light.  Didn't heart the coach as we had an extended drop hitch which bent in the radiator of the van that hit him.  It was  company car and the owners paid for everything.   

Examiner said we both kept our heads in stressful situations, so we passed!

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

• 1 month later...

I have just had 2 DPS offices tell me (including the one in Livingston) that both chapter 6 (concerning air brakes) and chapter 14 are required.  When I went to take my written test in September, all they gave me was chapter 14.  When I went to take the driving test, they would not let me take it since I had not taken and passed chapter 6.  I will now have to go back and take and pass the chapter 6 test in order to be able to take the driving test.  So be aware that this is a requirement now.

On 11/19/2018 at 9:34 PM, vannchan said:

I have just had 2 DPS offices tell me (including the one in Livingston) that both chapter 6 (concerning air brakes) and chapter 14 are required.  When I went to take my written test in September, all they gave me was chapter 14.  When I went to take the driving test, they would not let me take it since I had not taken and passed chapter 6.  I will now have to go back and take and pass the chapter 6 test in order to be able to take the driving test.  So be aware that this is a requirement now.

Sorry you had that happen. What they told you was correct, assuming that your rig has air brakes. It's a new requirement as of a few months ago, so apparently some DPS offices haven't gotten the word yet. For anyone else, if your rig has air brakes but the office where you take the written test doesn't give you the air brakes test, I'd just politely insist on taking it so that you don't end up in the same position as vannchan. 

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

This is true.  I have a 5th wheel and was required to take the chapter 6 test.  There is more than air brakes in chapter 6, and the more knowledge the better I guess.  With some of the driving I've seen lately with coaches and big 5th wheels, I've become an advocate of the RV CDL.  

Just completed the A Exempt driving test at the Livingston office.  Three visits--one for info and forms, one for the written tests, one for the driving test.  Yes, the written test explicitly says info from both Sections 14 and 6 will be on test.  Missed 2 on each one...set up the drive test ONLINE (only way) and showed up hour early--got the test started 50 mins earlier than scheduled, was really easy except for my nervousness.  Tester was courteous and a full-fledged CDL examiner, some talk about larger trucks and we were off. First item--check all lights/flashers--then pull into rear section or DL office parking lot and execute a u-turn WITHOUT hitting a curb (was told any curbing and it's a fail) then lined up with curbing in open area of lot.  Was told to back up to his hand signals about 60-70' in a straight line--no problem and no cones to move thru.  Then out on the streets/highways for the rest of the test.   Passed, but was docked for not coming to a COMPLETE stop AFTER stopping early to enter an intersection--I stopped at a small street stop sign early like there was a large white line (no lines at this intersection) then pulled ahead without stopping again before actually entering the intersection--that was the only part he told me about.  You have to completely stop BEFORE the large white line at a marked intersection, but the "no markings" at this one threw me off.

In my opinion, the harder part of the testing is to set it up/timing for full-timers, and trepidation on my part.  In my mind, the test is really to make sure you can handle the machinery/combinations without being a hazard to yourself or others. 

Now have the last step finished to be legal to run at 30,400lbs gross weight...I can quit worrying about the "inevitable lawsuit from a shyster lawyer if I was involved and an accident"  that is written about in numerous postings on many forums...

ON irv2.com a man from TX claims drivers license from other states may not be valid if the TX drivers laws state you must have a CL B TX license. The discussions got so heated the moderator closed the thread. Any feed back from the experts who possess one? Most, including me, have the impression drivers license from all states are reciprocal.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

4 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

ON irv2.com a man from TX claims drivers license from other states may not be valid if the TX drivers laws state you must have a CL B TX license.

That is the problem with such sources. TX, like every other state, honors the licenses issued by all US states so long as they are legal in the state of issue. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

17 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

That is the problem with such sources. TX, like every other state, honors the licenses issued by all US states so long as they are legal in the state of issue. 

I edited my reply to make irv2.com a hot link to that exact thread.  The man even pasted a clip from the license requirements  attempting to back up his claim.

I've given up on trying to correct folks who refer to the RV drivers license as a CDL__.🤢 It's so simple it either goes over or under their heads.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

ON irv2.com a man from TX claims drivers license from other states may not be valid if the TX drivers laws state you must have a CL B TX license. The discussions got so heated the moderator closed the thread. Any feed back from the experts who possess one? Most, including me, have the impression drivers license from all states are reciprocal.

You do need a Class B license in Texas for a motorhome over 26,000#.  I know, I have one.  IT IS NOT A CDL LICENSE.   Texas licenses for private drivers are Class A, Class B, Class C and Class M.     CDLs are another subject and only people who drive commercial vehicles need those.   And as long as you are licensed correctly in your home state, other states accept that license.    It is beyond me how so many people can screw up something that is relatively straight forward if one has the ability to read.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

20 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

And as long as you are licensed correctly in your home state, other states accept that license.    It is beyond me how so many people can screw up something that is relatively straight forward if one has the ability to read.  

It's not really all that straightforward.  Here's the Texas statute:

"Sec. 521.030. RECIPROCAL LICENSE. (a) A nonresident who is 18 years of age or older and who has in the person's possession a license issued to the person by the person's state or country of residence that is similar to a Class A or Class B driver's license issued under this chapter is not required to hold a Class A or Class B driver's license issued under this chapter if that state or country of residence recognizes such a license issued by this state and exempts the holder from securing a license issued by the state or foreign country."

Arizona doesn't require any sort of special license for any RVs, so Arizona RV drivers will have a regular old Class C license.  That doesn't appear to be "similar" to a Class A or Class B license in Texas, which require a written and driving test in addition to what is required for a Class C license.

I think it could be argued that if an Arizona-licensed driver can legally drive his RV in Arizona, he can legally drive his RV in Texas, because any other interpretation just wouldn't make sense.  And that's what you're saying. 

But to get there, you have to go outside the actual words of the statute, so I don't agree that it's straightforward if one has the ability to read.  And in fact, actually reading the statute (instead of just believing people when they say your license in one state allows you to drive in any other state), and considering only the words in it in a straightforward manner, will lead to a very different conclusion.

10 hours ago, Blues said:

Arizona doesn't require any sort of special license for any RVs, so Arizona RV drivers will have a regular old Class C license.  That doesn't appear to be "similar" to a Class A or Class B license in Texas,

Using the definition found in Websters:
Definition of similar 
1having characteristics in common strictly comparable

The way that it was always taught to me is "does their license allow them to drive the class of vehicle they are operating?" That is "similar", ie "comparable".

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo