Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs

David-and-Cheryl

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write up your experience and the details of the process. My wife and I are leaving for Maine next week. I used your detailed write-up to study for and pass today the written portion of the Class B Exempt test and schedule the driving portion next week in Wichita Falls. The details were not clear on the web page and your write-up helped tremendously on what to study, what forms to complete, and what to bring for each step. Thanks so much for taking the time to do it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, eadebeaux said:

Is a physical exam required for a new resident of TX needing to obtain a Class B non-commercial license?

Welcome to the forums! No physical exam or medical statement of any kind is needed. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

53 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the forums! No physical exam or medical statement of any kind is needed. 

You are mistaken.   There are seven (7) medical questions on the Texas Driver's License Application form.  They are also on the renewal form.

https://www.pdfrun.com/project/editor/1013/?editor=01&pmt=rec&ppg=16&flow=03#start_part

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

• 4 weeks later...

I just took my Class B driving license in Wichita Falls, easy deal, the examiner did bring a chock, and had me demonstrate the air brakes, but said they don’t count this on the test.  

I took the written in Decatur, just the General Knowledge test.

I have a ‘38’ class A.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you for this post, August 2019 i completed my Class B exempt license for Texas for a 36' Diesel Pusher, taking the sample computer tests really helped me to prepare and the example questions exposed me to driving rules and regulations i was not aware of.

The Driving test was basic for me, on and off the freeway, backroad and city traffic, no backing or parallel parking but i had to do the air Brake test, no problem.

Thank you again, 

Mike..

• 2 months later...

This is a very informative thread and I used the first post exclusively to prepare for testing for my Exempt A test.  Like many on here have attested to, You get all kinds of responses from DPS offices around Texas.  It took two tries for the same office (Paris TX) to figure out I had to take both section 6 and 14 tests for Class A.  On the skills test I also had to rent a trailer as my trailer would not have been legal and in Paris TX they check very closely.  I then scheduled my skills test in Bowie as Paris was not accepting skills tests until late November. The biggest issue I had with a rental trailer was getting a copy of the registration and the safety inspection as well a proof of insurance.  I rented a 12' dump trailer with a GVW of 15,000 lbs. I asked and was given a copy of the registration paper but they had discarded the actual inspection document.  I had brought my insurance policy that clearly states that a rental trailer is covered to the liability limit of the towing vehicle.  They accepted that.  As for the lack of actual inspection results, I was able to sweet talk them into accepting that the registration can not and will not be renewed without the safety inspection being complete.  After a call to a Supervisor, they said I could test today with it but if I failed, the next time they would REQUIRE the paper copy of the safety inspection.  The skills test in Bowie was thorough as my testing officer asked to bring a trainee along and so I assumed the test procedure would be completely "by the book".  Many blocks of residential driving with no center line and pot holes and low hanging branches made that a challenge.  In the end I did fine and passed.  My wife has passed the knowledge test for a Class A and we are going to do some hands on training on our trip next week to Phoenix.  She actually got the "learners permit" drivers license that is good for 90 days as long as she is with a driver that holds a valid Class A.  I am hoping to find an equipment rental  place closer to Bowie to rent a trailer for her testing.  Considering we live in North Dallas, I was quite surprised that the closest and only stations that I could schedule and take the RV Exempt Class A test were between Paris TX and Bowie TX.  Oh well... Best part is there was virturally no waiting at either location as compared to anything near the DFW metro area.

16 hours ago, Doug Darby said:

This is a very informative thread and I used the first post exclusively to prepare for testing for my Exempt A test.

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We live in Mesquite. ☺️

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 4:25 PM, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Did the driving test today - Class B Exempt (the motorhome one).  Did it in Conroe.  I got there about an hour ahead of time, was called to the front of the line because I had an appointment.  They checked me in and told me I was welcome to wait in the RV.  A nice lady officiated, no problems at all.  We actually started about a half hour early.

Not a word about air brakes.  She checked my turn signals and brake lights and had me toot the air horn (that got the attention of the people standing in line outside).  Looked at my license, registration, and insurance.

Drove around Conroe about 20 minutes.  A few left turns, mostly right turns.

No backing or parking of any kind.  She was interested in how well I stayed in my lane and how I handled turns.  Like any other driving test, I drove slower than usual, made sure to turn on my signals, made obvious use of my mirrors, stopped behind the line at stop signs, etc.

Automatic fails if you break the law, drive dangerously, or are involved in an accident. :)

She told me that she has never had anyone fail this test.  

Conroe isn't doing CDLs anymore - just RVs, Fire Trucks, and the like.  

Aside from it being in the motorhome, the actual test was easier than what you would do in a car.

Great to know. What did you study for the written test. I see some conflict, wondering which sections of the handbook you need to study?

1 hour ago, Ann-Cabell Williams said:

Great to know. What did you study for the written test. I see some conflict, wondering which sections of the handbook you need to study?

Read ALL of the first post in this thread:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/125345-texas-class-a-or-b-license-upgrade-faqs/

It has been updated and tells you exactly which parts of the manual you need to study.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi folks!    

Reviving this thread since it's the most useful information I've found anywhere on the interweb.

We just ordered a Cyclone Toy Hauler (GVWR 20k, will be going full time in it with a family of 4) and got a new truck (GVWR 14k F350 dually).... so our new combined GVWR will be 34,000 lbs.  However I'd like to get the license before the new trailer is delivered.  

So, can I take the test with my smaller 33' travel trailer (truck+oldtrailer combined GVWR of 23,000 lbs).  Or will they not let me take it since it doesn't meet the Class A threshold?

Kind of a catch-22.... I'd like to be legal before driving the new rig off the lot, but do I need the new rig before I can take the test?

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!

Txfamilycamper: Welcome to the forums and to fulltime rv'ing. I have a couple of questions. The first is you say your f 350 dually will weigh 14,000 and your toy hauler will weigh 20,,000 for a combined weight of 34,000. I looked at the curb weight of the f 350 on the Ford site and it weighs 7,500. I am a little confused. I don't think you will be putting 6,500 on your hitch when you hook up.

My semi tractor weighs 17,000 alone and my two axle 42 foot fifth wheel weighs about 17,000 also on CAT scales which 34,000 give or take when I am fully fueled with about 200 gallons. That is why I am confused by your weight totals.

Thank you, Dave

2004 Volvo 630 left tandem with 12 speed Freedomline

2014 Sandpiper 35 ROK 42' fifth wheel

Western Golf & Country Cart (EZ-GO frame)

Oldcodger, The way the state looks at it is add the GVWR or the truck (14000) to the GVWR of the trailer (20000) and you get 34000#.  Right or wrong, this is the criteria.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 1/24/2020 at 12:20 PM, oldcodger said:

Txfamilycamper: Welcome to the forums and to fulltime rv'ing. I have a couple of questions. The first is you say your f 350 dually will weigh 14,000 and your toy hauler will weigh 20,,000 for a combined weight of 34,000. I looked at the curb weight of the f 350 on the Ford site and it weighs 7,500. I am a little confused. I don't think you will be putting 6,500 on your hitch when you hook up.

My semi tractor weighs 17,000 alone and my two axle 42 foot fifth wheel weighs about 17,000 also on CAT scales which 34,000 give or take when I am fully fueled with about 200 gallons. That is why I am confused by your weight totals.

Thank you, Dave

What TXiceman said is correct, based on GVWR.... the GVWR of my truck on the door sticker is 14k... what it "could" weigh fully loaded.  As others said I could take 15-foot, 30,000 lb rated trailer completely empty and it would qualify while my 9800 rated, 33-foot travel trailer does not.  

Since I already has my appointment scheduled I went to try it, and yeah they kicked me out because my combined weight didn't qualify.  So, I'll just have to schedule it for soon after I take delivery of the new rig.  

• 2 weeks later...

I just took the Class B CDL exempt written test today (Feb 7 2020) at the DPS mega center office in Rosenberg, TX. A few notes from my experience:

1. I thought I would be super prepared and complete the two forms mentioned at the start of this thread. I even had form CDL-2 notarized - as it has space for a notary. Well, turns out my DPS person didn’t want it notarized - that notary space was for the DPS person to sign it. She threw away my notarized copy and had me fill out the form again.

2. The DPS person also told me that getting a class B license is a modification to my existing license and  in 2020, Texas is converting all drivers licenses to the Federal Real ID standard. That means you need to prove identity when getting the class B license. She asked me for my passport....which I did not bring to simply take the written test. She did say I could take care of it when I returned for the driving test. I recommend taking a passport or birth certificate when you go for the written test - assuming you don’t yet have a Real ID drivers license. She also mentioned something about bringing my social security card. Just to be safe, I’m going to bring those items when I do the driving test. 

3. As previously mentioned, the test is 20 questions.....must get 14 correct to pass (I got 16 correct - so I passed, whew). There were a few question that I don’t remember seeing the topic covered in Section 14. I totally guessed on 3 questions. 

4. They scheduled my driving test (@ the Rosenberg DPS center - even though on the DPS website, it doesn’t seem to indicated that center is a valid choice for the driving test) for March 4. My $11 payment receipt indicated I had until May 7th to complete my driving test.  

5. Everyone was very nice. I made my appointment via their online schedule website. I waited about 20 minutes...then I was taking the written test.

Hope that helps, Dave

• 1 month later...

Scheduled my road/ driving test at Wichita Falls DPS.
Tester walked out looked at the right front tire and ask if I had a tire gauge.

I stated I did, and was asked to check tire pressure. I had tire pressures set to Michelin RV tire chart standards. Tester stated that tire pressures had to be set at Max tire pressure of 110 lbs or driving test couldn’t continue.

Once I pressured up all 6 tires to 110, Tester did safety check, had me do the standard air brake test, then proceeded with road test. Did straight line backing and about 4 mile of highway driving with two entrance and two exit ramps as part of test. 

After reading many of the posts, I didn’t remember anyone mentioning tire air pressure as a possible requisite. Would have had that base covered before leaving home. 

Passed test so all is well. 

On 3/12/2020 at 2:54 PM, RLCASC said:

I stated I did, and was asked to check tire pressure. I had tire pressures set to Michelin RV tire chart standards. Tester stated that tire pressures had to be set at Max tire pressure of 110 lbs or driving test couldn’t continue.

I'll never know where so many people have gotten the idea that the max pressure on the tire is what the tire should be inflated to.  Do they not understand what the word "maximum" means? 

It's one thing to do it to one's own tires or even to recommend it to others, but entirely another to make people taking a driving test do it to their tires.  I'm not sure I'd comply because it's just wrong, and the tester needs to get some "guidance" on this.

47 minutes ago, Blues said:

I'll never know where so many people have gotten the idea that the max pressure on the tire is what the tire should be inflated to.  Do they not understand what the word "maximum" means? 

It's one thing to do it to one's own tires or even to recommend it to others, but entirely another to make people taking a driving test do it to their tires.  I'm not sure I'd comply because it's just wrong, and the tester needs to get some "guidance" on this.

I'd have to agree with that. I've never heard of a DPS examiner checking tire pressures.

Perhaps the examiner thought the tire looked under inflated and therefore had a safety concern, which is why s/he asked the OP to check the pressure. And their experience is probably limited to automobiles, on which you usually inflate to the placarded maximum pressure. But Blues is right--RVs are different, and you would hope the examiners giving Class A and B tests are aware of this fact.

David & Cheryl - SKP #126793
2023 New Horizons Majestic  
2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Follow us at Landmark Adventures 

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

On 3/12/2020 at 2:54 PM, RLCASC said:

Scheduled my road/ driving test at Wichita Falls DPS.

Once I pressured up all 6 tires to 110, Tester did safety check, had me do the standard air brake test, then proceeded with road test. Did straight line backing and about 4 mile of highway driving with two entrance and two exit ramps as part of test. 

After reading many of the posts, I didn’t remember anyone mentioning tire air pressure as a possible requisite. Would have had that base covered before leaving home. 

Passed test so all is well. 

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's the first time I've ever heard of an examiner checking tire pressures. Very interesting. I guess s/he thought the tire in question looked underinflated? Just curious, what pressure were you running the tires at?

David & Cheryl - SKP #126793
2023 New Horizons Majestic  
2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Follow us at Landmark Adventures 

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

4 hours ago, David-and-Cheryl said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. That's the first time I've ever heard of an examiner checking tire pressures. Very interesting. I guess s/he thought the tire in question looked underinflated? Just curious, what pressure were you running the tires at?

Yes your guess is correct. The examiner thought it was under inflated, but wouldn’t accept the Michelin tire inflation chart for RVs. Apparently The CDL test requires maximum tire inflation and was holding an RV to that standard. As to the answer to your question; Tire size 255 80R 22.5. Total front axle weight is 8280 lbs, 80 lb inflation, by chart is 4300 each tire, total 8600. Tires were checked to between 80 - 85lbs.

22 hours ago, David-and-Cheryl said:

And their experience is probably limited to automobiles, on which you usually inflate to the placarded maximum pressure.

What do you mean "placarded maximum pressure"?  The max pressure I was referring to is the one written on the tire itself.  What's on the placard in a car, like on the door jamb, is the recommended pressure.  I once had an employee at a tire place argue with me about it on my car; he insisted the the tires should be filled to the max pressure listed on the tire, even when I pointed out the label on the door jamb giving the recommended pressures.