Texas Class A or B License Upgrade FAQs

David-and-Cheryl

18 hours ago, Blues said:

What do you mean "placarded maximum pressure"?  The max pressure I was referring to is the one written on the tire itself.  What's on the placard in a car, like on the door jamb, is the recommended pressure.  I once had an employee at a tire place argue with me about it on my car; he insisted the the tires should be filled to the max pressure listed on the tire, even when I pointed out the label on the door jamb giving the recommended pressures.

Poor choice of words on my part. I meant the recommended pressure on the door jamb. My conjecture was that examiners are used to looking at that for cars, and in the absence of it for RVs (I don't know about motorhomes, but most trailers don't have one), they would look at the tire's max pressure rating, which is often higher.

Regardless, it's surprising to me that the CDL test requires inflation to the maximum pressure on the tire, assuming that's true. I would think that most large commercial vehicles would use the tire manufacturer's load/inflation tables (like you were), rather than just inflating to the maximum on the tire--and that examiners would be aware of that fact. But wonders never cease, especially when it comes to governmental agencies. ;) 

David & Cheryl - SKP #126793
2023 New Horizons Majestic  
2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Follow us at Landmark Adventures 

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, David-and-Cheryl said:

Poor choice of words on my part. I meant the recommended pressure on the door jamb. My conjecture was that examiners are used to looking at that for cars, and in the absence of it for RVs (I don't know about motorhomes, but most trailers don't have one), they would look at the tire's max pressure rating, which is often higher.

Regardless, it's surprising to me that the CDL test requires inflation to the maximum pressure on the tire, assuming that's true. I would think that most large commercial vehicles would use the tire manufacturer's load/inflation tables (like you were), rather than just inflating to the maximum on the tire--and that examiners would be aware of that fact. But wonders never cease, especially when it comes to governmental agencies. ;) 

My son has had his CDL for many years and has driven the testing vehicles for others to the DPS for their driving/road test. He said not unusual for maximum tire pressure to be required on commercial vehicles.

27 minutes ago, RLCASC said:

My son has had his CDL for many years and has driven the testing vehicles for others to the DPS for their driving/road test. He said not unusual for maximum tire pressure to be required on commercial vehicles.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that.

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

visited-united-states-map.png.8b6a700b6415343eafc35b0feab4615a.pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png.b29435743fc5e8b7ca13a23cf8da37cd.pngvisited-mexican-states-map.png.d136a5e3e97dbcdbded1428c16e4b855.png

• 1 month later...

..."In addition, if your rig is a combination--for example, a truck towing a trailer--several members have reported that the Texas CDL Combinations Test is now also required, effective April 18, 2018."

Does the 'Combinations Test requirement' apply to me if I'm driving a Class A Motorhome towing a car?

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, Snickdriver said:

..."In addition, if your rig is a combination--for example, a truck towing a trailer--several members have reported that the Texas CDL Combinations Test is now also required, effective April 18, 2018."

Does the 'Combinations Test requirement' apply to me if I'm driving a Class A Motorhome towing a car?

Thanks!

I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure the answer would be yes. A "combination vehicle" is any vehicle with two separate parts - the power unit and the trailer. So a MH towing a car would fit the definition. 

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Yes, if the motorhome + towed vehicle is greater than 10K and the towed vehicle is greater than 10K, then a Class A is required.  So if you have a Class A with a GWR of 25K towing something that weighed 10,001 lbs, then Class A would be required.  If towed vehicle was 8K, instead, just a regular Class C.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

25 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Yes, if the motorhome + towed vehicle is greater than 10K and the towed vehicle is greater than 10K, then a Class A is required.  So if you have a Class A with a GWR of 25K towing something that weighed 10,001 lbs, then Class A would be required.  If towed vehicle was 8K, instead, just a regular Class C.

Just to clarify for the OP...I think what BarbaraOK is getting at here is that you need only a Class C license if the GVWR of your motorhome is 26k pounds or less, unless your car's GVWR is over 10k pounds (unlikely) and the total GVWR of the combination is more than 26k pounds. That would be a very rare situation in an RV unless your toad is something like a 3/4 ton pickup truck. So her point, which is a good one, is that you may not need to get a Class A Exempt license at all. Remember that the class of motorhome you're driving has no bearing on the class of license you need. Yes, that's confusing.

When I answered your question, I was assuming that you had already determined that you actually do need a Class A or Class B Exempt license. That would likely be because your motorhome has a GVWR over 26,000 pounds.If that's the case, and your car's GVWR is 10k pounds or less, then you need only a Class B Exempt license. And because you'd need the same class of license if you weren't towing a car at all, there's no reason to take your toad to the driving test, and therefore no need to take the Combinations written test.

To put it a different way: you'll need your toad for the driving test and you'll have to take the Combinations written test only if you need a Class A Exempt license. And you need the Class A Exempt only if your car's GVWR exceeds 10k pounds, which it probably doesn't.

If you haven't already, see the table in the first post in this thread, which will help to make the "license class" requirements more clear.

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

Yes, thanks everyone!  My motorhome, has a GVWR of 51,000# plus I'm towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Not sure of it's weight, but I know it's less than 10k#!  So, I know I need an exempt class B.  I just wasn't sure about the need for the combination endorsement.  I'm thinking that I won't need that because of the weight of the towed vehicle.  

David and Cheryl truly did an extraordinary job with the original post!  Many thanks.  However, I'm still a little anxious about what to study.  Yes, I've read all the post, but the CDL Handbook says study Chap. 1, 2, 3, 5, 11, 12, 13.  and it doesn't say that we DON'T have to perform the pre-trip inspection.  I really wish it was more clear in their documentation, but from those who have taken the tests, it sounds much simpler than what the book makes it out to be.  

I was able to schedule my knowledge test for Friday, in Texas, at a 'CDL only' test facility.  The 'regular' DL offices are still closed (virus) and with my full disclosure, they said it was fine.  Sooooo, I'm thinking that maybe they'll let me take the skills test there as well?  They may be tougher, since they are a CDL facility.  Oh well, we'll see.  

Thanks again everyone!  I really appreciate it.

I'm going to take my Class B Exempt knowledge test tomorrow, Fri May 1, at the DPS CDL center in Kilgore, TX.  The location is small and close to me, and they didn't have a problem giving my knowledge test even though it is for an Exempt license.  This will be for my motorhome and I'm not sure if they'll let me take the skills test here or not.  I'm going to try, since the other driver's license offices are currently closed due to the virus.  We'll see.  Wish me luck.  

Well, I passed the written, class B exempt.  Just the 20 questions from the the Commercial Rules, (aka Special Regulations or Chap 14).  Did this at the CDL center in Kilgore, TX.  Small place, nice folks.  The clerk scheduled me for the Skills test on May 19 at their location.  

I did tell the clerk that specifically what the Exempt applicant will be tested on for the written test or the skills test, is not mentioned in the CDL handbook.  It delineates what the CDL Class B applicant should study, but not the Exempt Class B applicant.  She looked puzzled, opened the book and started looking.  She looked the whole time I was taking the test... she never found this information in the book.  Ugh.  Obviously a disconnect here, but at least she knew exactly what test I was supposed to take!

I also asked about the skills test.  She said that the only aspect that would be different from when I got my Class C was the airbrake test.  Although, she said that I did not have to demonstrate the test, the examiner would walk me through it.  

So, this is almost exactly what the other posters have said, so many thanks to everyone for accurate information!

• 3 weeks later...

Took the Class B Exempt Skills (driving) test yesterday, 5-19-20 at the Commercial Driver's License facility in Kilgore, (East) TX.  Very small facility.  Counted 4 people total, working when I was there.  Lady that did my test couldn't have been more nice.  She walked me through the airbrake test.  Then she had me back up 20' in a straight line.  Then she said we were just going on a drive to make sure I knew how to handle the large vehicle.  Down a 2 lane county road, right turn, onto the interstate for 1 mile, exit back to the facility.  Done.  If you've already been driving your Class A, and are safe and don't break any laws, you won't have a problem.  

Ask me any questions, while I still have it fresh in my mind!  OP David did great job on the post and all of his material was really helpful.  Thanks again David!

8 hours ago, Snickdriver said:

Took the Class B Exempt Skills (driving) test yesterday, 5-19-20 at the Commercial Driver's License facility in Kilgore, (East) TX.  Very small facility.  Counted 4 people total, working when I was there.  Lady that did my test couldn't have been more nice.  She walked me through the airbrake test.  Then she had me back up 20' in a straight line.  Then she said we were just going on a drive to make sure I knew how to handle the large vehicle.  Down a 2 lane county road, right turn, onto the interstate for 1 mile, exit back to the facility.  Done.  If you've already been driving your Class A, and are safe and don't break any laws, you won't have a problem.  

Ask me any questions, while I still have it fresh in my mind!  OP David did great job on the post and all of his material was really helpful.  Thanks again David!

Congratulations on passing your test! I'm glad it was anticlimactic. ;) Thanks for the shout-out; I'm glad the post was helpful!

David

Edited by David-and-Cheryl

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for these posts.... I've been wondering what the status is, of getting this license due to the limited DMV operations post Covid. This is super helpful, so thank you to everyone that took the time (and patience) to begin and add to this post.  Super helpful...

One question that I do have still.... once one passes the "written" test, does that then serve as a "learner's permit"? I'd LOVE to have some real behind the wheel practice, and help my DH drive from Texas to Oregon to visit our son, and then take the actual driving test once we got home in a month. My hubby does have his license to drive our bus. 

On 5/31/2020 at 9:22 AM, solber said:

Thank you all for these posts.... I've been wondering what the status is, of getting this license due to the limited DMV operations post Covid. This is super helpful, so thank you to everyone that took the time (and patience) to begin and add to this post.  Super helpful...

One question that I do have still.... once one passes the "written" test, does that then serve as a "learner's permit"? I'd LOVE to have some real behind the wheel practice, and help my DH drive from Texas to Oregon to visit our son, and then take the actual driving test once we got home in a month. My hubby does have his license to drive our bus. 

To be assured that you would be in compliance, I would recommend a call to DPS.

But,  after completing your test, as you noticed, no changes were made to your class C nor any additional documentation giving you permission to drive. Only after completing driving test will you then be given temporary permit to drive until license arrives in mail. 

On 5/31/2020 at 10:22 AM, solber said:

No - not in Texas. You are not licensed to drive the rig until you have passed the driving portion of the test, they take your class C license from you, and hand you a (paper) temporary while you wait for your license in the mail.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

3 hours ago, Second Chance said:

No - not in Texas. You are not licensed to drive the rig until you have passed the driving portion of the test, they take your class C license from you, and hand you a (paper) temporary while you wait for your license in the mail.

Rob

That is the correct legal answer. However, because there is no non-CDL "learner's permit" that I'm aware of in Texas, there's a catch-22: it's hard to pass the driving test if you've never driven your rig, but how do you practice for the test without the appropriate license?

The fact is, most people end up doing some driving illegally because that's the only way to gain some experience. For safety's sake, if you do that, I'd have your licensed husband in the passenger seat and actively acting as an "instructor". The chances of you getting stopped and cited are small (but not zero) as long as you don't break any laws or do anything unsafe. But again, in Texas, you would still be driving illegally without a license.

However, since you're going on a road trip, you can easily do your practice in a state that doesn't require a special class of license to drive your particular rig. I don't know your route, but according to http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml, Utah, Arizona and Idaho have no special licensing requirements.

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

31 minutes ago, David-and-Cheryl said:

... However, since you're going on a road trip, you can easily do your practice in a state that doesn't require a special class of license to drive your particular rig. I don't know your route, but according to http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml, Utah, Arizona and Idaho have no special licensing requirements.

That's not quite true since everything is based on the state where you are licensed - not the state where you are driving. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

36 minutes ago, Second Chance said:

That's not quite true since everything is based on the state where you are licensed - not the state where you are driving. 

Rob

Well, yes and no. It's true that in a state that requires special licensing, they have to honor the requirements of the state where you're licensed. So, for instance, if you're driving in NM (which requires special licensing), you're legal if you have the proper license for the state where you're licensed. That could be a Class A or B Exempt license from Texas, or a regular passenger vehicle license from Florida (which has no special license requirements). I'm now licensed in Florida, and with my normal passenger vehicle license I can legally drive my rig anywhere in the country, even though it would require a Class A license in Texas and some other states.

However, the reverse is not true. If you're driving in a state that does not require special licensing, I'm pretty confident that you won't get a citation for not being properly licensed in your home state (assuming of course that you have a valid license for a regular passenger vehicle). You're not violating the laws of that state, and a state law enforcement officer probably does not have the authority to cite you for violating the laws of any other state. For that matter, they probably wouldn't even know (or care) that your home state requires a special license.

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum

29 minutes ago, David-and-Cheryl said:

Well, yes and no. It's true that in a state that requires special licensing, they have to honor the requirements of the state where you're licensed. So, for instance, if you're driving in NM (which requires special licensing), you're legal if you have the proper license for the state where you're licensed. That could be a Class A or B Exempt license from Texas, or a regular passenger vehicle license from Florida (which has no special license requirements). I'm now licensed in Florida, and with my normal passenger vehicle license I can legally drive my rig anywhere in the country, even though it would require a Class A license in Texas and some other states.

However, the reverse is not true. If you're driving in a state that does not require special licensing, I'm pretty confident that you won't get a citation for not being properly licensed in your home state (assuming of course that you have a valid license for a regular passenger vehicle). You're not violating the laws of that state, and a state law enforcement officer probably does not have the authority to cite you for violating the laws of any other state. For that matter, they probably wouldn't even know (or care) that your home state requires a special license.

I'm not going to continue this argument with you - I'll let an active or retired LEO chime in. Lets just hope that "solber" doesn't follow your advice and have an accident...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

I truly appreciate everyone's input on this and I actually have an appointment for my "written" test tomorrow. I was told by a DPS clerk last week, that I will be able to ask for a learners permit, but that doesn't mean that is necessarily true.  I'll know more tomorrow hopefully!  It's amazing to me that this is all so complicated and that there is so much room for error.  It seems that it depends on which office and which clerk you end up with, can make a difference in what you are told.

We moved from Texas a year ago from Oregon, which is one of those states that has no requirement for driving a Class A motorhome so I've had a lot of time being the wheel (thank goodness). And don't anyone worry, I will assess all of the information and make my decision based on what I feel is the best way to go.

I truly want to be driving legal and hopefully I pass the written portion tomorrow (fingers crossed) and I can get my drive test done before we leave for Oregon or have a learners permit...stay tuned. One step at a time.  And again, thank you to everyone who answered my question as it all helps!

I was a little concerned about it too in the beginning. Yes there are some Texas DPS testing locations that do not see this RV issue all that often so there is some confusion at some of the DPS testing facilities. Turns out I didn't have anything to be concerned about. I used two different testing facilities. The local small office DPS where I took the written test, it was easy, the driving test at the Austin / Pflugerville DPS mega center was just as easy, 20 minutes tops. You have to lose 32 points in the driving test to fail. You have to be a real klutz to lose that many points.

Don't be concerned, don't worry about it, its not that difficult, just have all your paperwork ready for them to look at.  You can renew the Class A or B non-CDL drivers license online. My truck GVWR is 14,000# and our 5th wheel is 16,800#.

Yes there is a learners permit available for the time between taking the written test and the actual driving test, but it cost extra and is only good for 2 weeks IIRC. The written testing facility offered it to me, I didn't need it. I scheduled the driving test online as soon as I could. Using the learners permit to drive the rig, you must have a Class A or B licensed driver with you.

Steve, Texas Class A Non-CDL licensed

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

Mission accomplished..... I took (and passed) my written test yesterday for my Class B license. I did ask for a learner's permit and was told that is what I got. You are correct Steven@146, it does cost a bit more, but I figured that since my husband has his Class B license and he would love some help driving our rig from Texas to Oregon in a couple of weeks, I decided it was worth the extra money. This way I can legally help him drive and that was my goal. 

The lady at the DPS office told me that my learners permit would be valid until my Class C license expires in several years.  I find that VERY tough to believe and I won't rely on that answer.  Once we get home from Oregon a month from now, I will have lots of current drive time under my belt and I'll take the drive test.  Looks like I should schedule it now as our closest DPS office is booking appointments in September already!  I'm thinking that I will continue to watch the wait times on line and opt to visit a smaller office for my drive test.  Our local office includes a stretch of driving on I-35 (my husband did this one) and I'm not even thrilled with that in my car, let alone in the bus with a person grading me, sitting in the passenger seat 🙂 Thank you all for the input!

2 hours ago, solber said:

Mission accomplished..... I took (and passed) my written test yesterday for my Class B license. I did ask for a learner's permit and was told that is what I got. You are correct Steven@146, it does cost a bit more, but I figured that since my husband has his Class B license and he would love some help driving our rig from Texas to Oregon in a couple of weeks, I decided it was worth the extra money. This way I can legally help him drive and that was my goal. 

The lady at the DPS office told me that my learners permit would be valid until my Class C license expires in several years.  I find that VERY tough to believe and I won't rely on that answer.  Once we get home from Oregon a month from now, I will have lots of current drive time under my belt and I'll take the drive test.  Looks like I should schedule it now as our closest DPS office is booking appointments in September already!  I'm thinking that I will continue to watch the wait times on line and opt to visit a smaller office for my drive test.  Our local office includes a stretch of driving on I-35 (my husband did this one) and I'm not even thrilled with that in my car, let alone in the bus with a person grading me, sitting in the passenger seat 🙂 Thank you all for the input!

Great! Congratulations! Now on to the fun!

HAHAHA! When I took my driving test we were driving the streets of Austin, 4 lane divided street elevated grass median with concrete curbs. We came upon an auto accident and they had the street closed. We just sat there with the 4 way flashers on. It was going to be awhile, We were the first vehicle in line, the testing instructor ask me if I thought I could move up to the first crossover and use it to make a U turn into the southbound lanes. He said don't worry I'm not going to grade you on a U turn. With a 53 foot rig I took up all the Northbound lanes, made the turn, took up all the Southbound lanes and didn't even touch the concrete curbs with the tires. Didn't need to use a 3 point turn. He said nice turn! We had a good laugh about it. Super nice testing instructor!

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

I have just updated the main post with a bunch of changes over the last year or so. Among them:

• Added information on the new REAL ID document requirements for proving citizenship, identity, Social Security registration, residency, and vehicle ownership;
  • Added information on the new Improving Texas Drivers (ITD) course requirement;
  • Updated the reference to Form DL-43, which has been superseded by by Form DL-14A;
  • Updated the duration of license validity (now eight years instead of six)
  • Updated the license renewal fee (now $32)
  • Checked all links and fixed where needed.

I've also turned this post into a new article for the Escapees blog. It should be published sometime in the next month or two.

2020 Ford F-450 Platinum