Oil change in Walmart?

aziamaiza

Apologies if this has been aired before but our motorhome is due - by any definition of "due" (over 4k miles, 18 months and counting) - for an oil change n lube. I was planning on taking it to our, not always so friendly, Camping World outlet in Mesa AZ but apparently they are booked up three weeks solid, and our migration north begins in two weeks, so my question - as a clueless mechanophobe -is thus:

Should I just drive into the closest Walmart, cross my fingers and hope for the best or look nearby for an RV dealer, of which there are many?

To my mind the pros and cons are such;

Walmart - generally sloppy work, but cheap, no waiting list and they don't go looking for "problems".

RV Service center - more expensive and you would expect them to know exactly what they're lubing and what oil to use etc but might find something a lot more expensive to fix.

Our RV seems to be running fine, no strange noises anyway.

What think ye?

If you're headed North from the Mesa area, you might try the Camping World at Bellemont right outside of Flagstaff AZ.

David & Sandi
2010 Silver Fox 29 5T
2011 Silverado 3500HD Crew, SB, SRW
Duramax, 6 spd Allison
2018 Polaris Ranger XP 1000

Since your Fiesta has a gas powered chassis, I do have some experience with them so may be able to help. I have had many an oil change done by Walmart and have never had any problems from that, but I didn't ever have our motorhome (F53 chassis) serviced at Walmart. I did most of my own oil change/lube job activities myself but when I chose not to do so I took it to a truck shop for service, never to Camping World or any other RV dealership. I would think that in Mesa there would be numerous other shops that could change the oil for you.

I would also offer one other thought. In my view you would be wise to go to an oil change pattern of 3500/4000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You can tell if a Walmart will do an oil change on a gas motorhome by going into the store and looking at their oil change price list. If the list includes an RV oil change for around $50 you're set.

The requirements are that they have a large door and an oil change pit instead of lifting the cars into the air.

I use Wal-Mart whenever I can, and I've never had a problem with their oil change. And they grease the chassis - it isn't that different from greasing a pickup truck, except there are a couple more grease points in the carrier bearings in the long driveshaft.

Your other choice is a medium/heavy duty truck dealer/shop for your RV chassis service. I have one such place about 30 minute

drive from my home and that is where I will be taking my MH for oil change or any other chassis work.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

If Walmart have a tall door in the lube shop they always were able to take care of the Trek. { Gas }. It helps to know model number of the chassis.

The other operation we used a couple of times was Oil Can Henry. Some how got a well cared for vibe from them.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

Hi All, I use them every now and then, but I always check them out first. I'll buy my brand of oil and filter in the store and then go to the service department and have them change the oil and filter (only) and they charge me twenty dollars, of course as said I've already bought my oil and filter inside, that way I get the shelf price. I've only had one problem doing this in a number of years. Once they didn't use my filter, they used there brand, don't know how but I informed them and they did it all over again, worked for me!
BobQ :)

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

Popped into my local Walmart and asked whether they could do an oil change on an RV. The first respondent wasn't really quick out of the gate with his answer but kinda, sorta said yes. He was immediately overruled by a heavier set man who burst out of the bay and insisted that they weren't set up for RV's (why the 15 ft roll up door then, I thought to myself). Almost like a Monty Python sketch, an apparently more senior technician, if not the manager himself, appeared on the scene and declared that they could do an oil change but I'd have to bring my own filter as they don't sell them.

This didn't exactly fill me with confidence so I decided to fork out the extra bucks and made an appointment with the RV sales and service outfit conveniently situated next to our RV resort.

I would not trust Camping World to do a better job than Walmart. Just sayin.....

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I like Jiffy Lube. You can call first to make sure the one you would go to has a large bay and a pit, but I think they all do. It's a nationwide chain with a shared computer system so any one you go to will have your records from previous visits. In addition to the oil change they check and top off all your other fluids. Then they vacuum your cab and wash all your windows!

Full-timing and enjoying every minute.

Blog: www.agingonwheels.com

Archived