Half ton

I have a 24-foot motorhome, and we are looking for more flexibility, though not more space.  We are currently considering a half-ton fifth wheel.  Looking for information specifically on half-tons.  Have you owned one?  What make and model?  Do you like it?  What should I  avoid and watch out for?  Any articles that might be useful?

I dont think a 1/2 ton should tow any RV except maybe tent campers. More like ATV's, boats or jet skis. More like a car chassis with a pick up box on it.

What I really mean is that they should never tow a 5th wheel.

There are HD's cheaper than 1/2 tons out there.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Are they asking about a 1/2 ton truck to tow a 5th wheel, or are they asking about those 5th wheels advertised as being 1/2 ton tow-able?  A 1/2 ton truck could, if set up right, haul one of those 1/2 ton campers but either way, I would not recommend it.  Those ultra lite campers are not built heavy enough to live in nor tow a lot around the country, IMHO, I wouldn't do it.  The campers I see folks pulling behind 3/4 ton trucks make me shudder, most of those push a won ton to it's limits. 

I looked at one of those heavy campers today and one manager told me I was wrong....   I know what my won ton dually can pull per manufacturers recommendations, I walked away from a nice toy hauler 3K over my truck's max manufacturer recommendation of 17,400lb.  They even offered to knock $10K off it to move it.  I quizzed her on camper/truck weights/abilities (she is either clueless, or just didn't care) then I walked away from that dealership, won't go back.  Point is OP, research, find the 5th wheel RV you want, examine empty/loaded weights then research which truck size is needed to do the job safely.  You don't want to be going down a steep grade and have the weight of the RV pushing you, in that situation, your not going to stop the rig.....

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

The other thing to consider is, Will this be your last camper?  If you're only a weekend camper, or 4 trips a year kind of user, this might work.  I do agree with comments made here, especially about safety on the road.  If you do decide to do more full timing, than you most certainly will need a bigger truck.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

14 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

You don't want to be going down a steep grade and have the weight of the RV pushing you, in that situation, your not going to stop the rig.....

A lot of people, myself included, think about pulling power far before they think about stopping power.  I agree with Birdman. 
Sometimes through oversight/neglect/bad luck you might not rely on the trailer brakes to stop the rig.  Have a safety margin. You didn’t specify you would pull with a half ton truck.  I know stickers are sky high but getting a bigger truck Should mean many parts are bigger and better. 
Don’t think about matching “enough” truck with your 5th wheel. Go for as much more as you can afford.  (Also see the HD comment above)

I pulled a 5k travel trailer around Michigan with a 1/2 ton 5.3 liter and did fine.  On a trip to Maine I discovered 35mph in low gear was not a good place to be.  Went through one stop at the bottom of a hill also. Not fun. 

Edited by Sculptor

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I just had this conversation with my Granddaughter.   There are 1/2 tons that were rated to easily hall her trailer until you look at the details.  The truck would be over payload or GVW and the rear axle would be overloaded.   The GVWR is just one of the items to be concerned with.  Many 1/2 tons have GCVWR that would indicate these can tow large trailers but not without exceeding other important considerations. 

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

OP looks to be a one n done.

If he comes back and is serious, I know where he can pick-up a bigger truck... LOL  Wife found a Class C she likes.

On a short note, folks when looking, need to also look at rear tire ratings as well as what rear axle is rated for.  A half ton can get a 20k lb camper moving, stopping it?  Totally different critter, ask yourself, is putting yours/families and others lives on the road worth it to you?

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.