Weighing the RV at a highway weigh station

Jo Ann just saw an article that says Iowa and Minnesota require RV's over 10,000 pounds to weigh at the highway weigh stations. Anyone have any real personal knowledge of this? I was under the impression that the weigh stations on the highways are for commercial vehicles and they don't want an RV in there.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

I have heard many claims that various states require larger RVs to stop at weigh stations but have driven past weigh stations in both states that you list and never stopped. RVs that are new and being delivered to a dealership generally are required to stop as they are classed commercial. In travel through most of the states, I have driven past many weigh stations and have never stopped nor seen anyone else do so. If you do decide to stop, be prepared for some unhappy truck drivers and probably laughter by the scale operators. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I agree with Kirk. The only times I've seen an RV at a weigh station was when the station was closed but the scale was left on as some of them do.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We passed a weigh station, I think in Minnesota or Michigan, that said all vehicles over 10000 pounds including RVs must weigh. It was closed so we did not stop but that struck me as odd. However, since you brought it up, CruiseAmerica, which rents RVs has this to say:

While most RV’s won’t need to stop at the weigh station, there are a few cases where you might. The first is if you’re running a business out of your RV. Technically this could include any business where the RV is claimed as an expense, but more often, the rule covers businesses that utilize RVs for transportation, such as film crews or traveling musicians. 

Additionally, nearly a third of the states, including Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Rhode Island, Washington, and Wisconsin, require vehicles weighing more than 10,000 lbs to stop at highway weigh stations. While many Class B RVs are exempted from this regulation, the vast majority of Class A and C RVs are not. 

Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, and Pennsylvania require vehicles weighing over 26,000 lbs to visit at least one weigh station upon entering the state. There are a few states with more peculiar rules, but these are unlikely to apply to most RV users (such as Montana having a weight limit of only 8,000 lbs for vehicles carrying agricultural products). 

When traveling through these states, you’ll need to pull over and get weighed at the first checkpoint. There’s a good chance you’ll be told it’s unnecessary to weigh at any of the other ones, but it’s always best to ask for guidance. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Let's put this a different way. Has anyone here ever been required to stop in a weigh station with their RV? Have you ever been pulled over for failing to stop in a weigh station? I have driven past several Michigan weigh stations and never stopped nor was I bothered and I sure didn't see any signs like that. 

The Cruise America disclaimer is just that, protection from liability. And if you read the entire thing you will find:  'There’s a good chance you’ll be told it’s unnecessary to weigh at any of the other ones, but it’s always best to ask for guidance."

Edited by Kirk W
add a thought

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 5/20/2024 at 9:52 AM, Kirk W said:

The Cruise America disclaimer is just that, protection from liability. And if you read the entire thing you will find:  'There’s a good chance you’ll be told it’s unnecessary to weigh at any of the other ones, but it’s always best to ask for guidance."

The preceding sentence said, "When traveling through these states, you’ll need to pull over and get weighed at the first checkpoint."  followed by  "There’s a good chance you’ll be told it’s unnecessary to weigh at any of the other ones, <in that state> but it’s always best to ask for guidance." 

Gives a totally different meaning than just the part you quoted.

Edited by Lou Schneider

We've traveled through most of the states west of I-75 in the past few years, with a 21k trailer pulled by a tandem axle Kenworth, and have yet to pull into a weigh station, or see a sign indicating that we should.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

23 hours ago, rickeieio said:

We've traveled through most of the states west of I-75 in the past few years, with a 21k trailer pulled by a tandem axle Kenworth, and have yet to pull into a weigh station, or see a sign indicating that we should.

Same here.  And after 30 years in the LE profession at the state level, I know better that to start now!😏

I'm in Iowa for the summer. If I run into any IDOT folks I will ask for a clarification. I took the two lanes into my current location that had no weigh stations. When I depart I will pass at least one and they are often open. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.