Induction Cooking

lappir

Tried something new today and it seems to be working out fine. 

Has anyone else cooked directly in the "Steel Can" on your induction hot plate? I had a friend who used to cook his "Beans" in the can on his Charcoal Grill all the time and I've used metal mixing bowls to heat water before. 

Making a can of "Campbells Chunky Clam Chowder" in the microwave and got the pop and splatter. Was heating a bit of water in the can to clean out the remaining soup and decided to take out most of the "Chunks" and finish heating them on the induction. Actually took less time than it would have in the Microwave. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, lappir said:

Has anyone else cooked directly in the "Steel Can" on your induction hot plate?

Be prepared for can to be HOT! The induction burner does not heat the can but the food inside it may.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

Be prepared for can to be HOT! The induction burner does not heat the can but the food inside it may.

I didn't fill it full so the portion above the food stays a lot cooler. I did use protection though. Might fashion a can clamp handle if I start doing it a lot. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

18 hours ago, sandsys said:

That's backwards. Induction "burners" work by exciting the magnetic/ferrous atoms in the pan or container which then heats the food.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

That's backwards. Induction "burners" work by exciting the magnetic/ferrous atoms in the pan or container which then heats the food.

Rob

Exactly! This is why I can turn off the burner a little early under my scrambled eggs and let the residual pan heat finish them off. I have to admit I had never considered heating things directly in the can though. I am going to have to try it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

4 hours ago, Second Chance said:

Rob

But it stops heating the second you remove it from the burner; after that it is the food that heats the container.

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

23 hours ago, Second Chance said:

Rob

Rob is correct with how the food is heated, the amazing part (to me) is that if there isn't liquid all the way to the rim that area does not get hot until after the container is removed from the burner, and then it doesn't get as hot as the lower portion where there is contact. At least that's my experience. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 4/11/2024 at 8:46 AM, Second Chance said:

Induction "burners" work by exciting the magnetic/ferrous atoms in the pan or container which then heats the food.

Rob

If you don't believe it, Set a induction type pan on the stove without any food. Turn the heat on and walk away. My wife says the pan bottom was RED hot.

The stove still works and the pan is useable with a blue bottom

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

21 hours ago, sandsys said:

But it stops heating the second you remove it from the burner; after that it is the food that heats the container.

A pan stops heating the second you remove it from ANY kind of burner.  Gas, electric or induction.

Induction heat is concentrated in the base of the pan because it's closest to the induction coil and has the greatest mass to react with the inductive forces.  Plus the amount of transmitted energy falls off at the square of the distance.  Elevate the base of the pan the same distance above the burner as the sides are when the pan is sitting flush and you'll get little or no heat generation.

7 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Elevate the base of the pan the same distance above the burner as the sides are when the pan is sitting flush and you'll get little or no heat generation.

Elevate the pan on our induction top and you get to hear annoying beeps and an error message flashing.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

23 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Elevate the pan on our induction top and you get to hear annoying beeps and an error message flashing.

But you can put a dish cloth or paper towel between and not get any beeps. Don't leave either there if I'm not right there watching, but it does make clean up of the splatters if you have any a bit more easy, especially if the cloth is damp. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

20 hours ago, lappir said:

But you can put a dish cloth or paper towel between and not get any beeps. Don't leave either there if I'm not right there watching, but it does make clean up of the splatters if you have any a bit more easy, especially if the cloth is damp. 

Rod

I used a paper towel. Worked well.

Linda

On 4/11/2024 at 9:46 AM, Second Chance said:

Rob

Exactly!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961