Who Offers HDT Insurance for Truck While Not Towing Trailer?

Jim Gell

Our 2001 Volvo is titled as a Motorhome.  Progressive, who we are currently insured with, said they would only cover the truck in combination with the policy on the trailer. They also said it was not covered when driving bobtail except for taking it for repairs or fueling locally.

I know some HDT'rs have taken their trucks bobtail on excursions such as to parks their full rig would not fit, etc.   

What insurance companies is anyone using that does not require the trailer be attached when traveling?

Has anyone insured their trucks without a trailer on the same policy? 

TIA

Jim 

Rig in Florida.jpg

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

How timely. I just got off the phone with another forum member who's also shopping for insurance on his truck and new fiver.

You say you're with Progressive, but which agent?  I'm with Progressive through Lazy Days Insurance in Florida, and have no such restrictions.  When I called Miller Insurance, they had the restrictions you mention.

And just so you know, there's only a few agents in the country who can write these policies.  My local agent, who handles all our other policies, could not do it, even though he's a Progressive agent.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Our 2005 Kenworth is Insured thru our general Auto Home and Farm carrier Missouri Farm Bureau.  Can be mad but a One Year FULL coverage Policy based on Limited use per year and licensed as Truck not MH is less than $300.  Our 1999 Ford F250SD same coverage is $278 every six months.  Does NOT care if pull RV or Equipment trailers or if leaves state for extended periods.

HOWEVER, did ask both the State and the Insurer of Licensing RV.  In MO, RVs cannot EVER be used for a materials or farm goods hauler, cannot connect to a general purpose trailer and haul even our own goods, $500 fine first citation, moves to $5000 second and loss of RV license.  Secondly once Titled as RV cannot within MO retitle as a Work vehicle or even a Personal Use general truck again.

License sounded prohibitive as to be adequate had to get 48,000 Beyond Local license, not Commercial but as such is over $560 per year and we are required to have a Federal DOT inspection annually.  For the Insurer, to Insure Strictly as a RV or MH was over $3000 per year where they also will NOT cover if used as a General Purpose Truck, so we made a correct choice.  Bobtail as reach a Site was questioned, we would have still been covered.

We have nationwide with agent in rapid city. It’s covered towing or bobtail. Another thing I just found out about yesterday is safelite glass doesn’t do hdt sand I think motor homes. We had an appointment for today and the guy called yesterday and said he doesn’t know how the appointment got made. February 1 they started phasing out the inventory. We just have to go to another company to get it done. Safelite does the glass coverage for nationwide so just some info. 

Interesting Jim.  I just changed to Progressive from National General through Miller Insurance.  My contact was Roxanne Sutton.  I specifically asked her about bob tail coverage and was told there were no restrictions.  They did have to cover the trailer also but it is a separate policy.  Wonder why a difference?  I did also speak with Grace Street at Lazy Days in Florida (same company Rick is using) and she was quoting me a Progressive policy but it was the same rate and coverage Miller quoted so I stayed where I had been for the past 14 years.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I am in Kansas and the state you are domiciled in matters.    That said, I have Shelter Insurance on my truck Peterbit 387 registered as an RV in Kansas with no restrictions, I tow a 48' Kentucky drop frame van in addition to my Teton.    My policy has been rather consistant fot the last 5 years with modest rate hikes, about 1200 a year full coverage 1000.00 deductable.     

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I specifically asked her about bob tail coverage and was told there were no restrictions.

Please, read the policy as soon as it arrives. We were told our Class C was covered even though it was the only vehicle we owned. The policy itself said NOT covered if it was the only vehicle. We quickly cancelled that policy and got all our money back. It pays to read the actual wording of the policy.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

With State Farm I can bobtail or pull other trailers as long as I'm not getting paid.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I'm with Auto Owners and they have no issue with bob-tail operation.

I live in in Wisconsin.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Apparently, I was wrong about Progressive not letting us use the truck bobtail.  I was told today that I can.  So one of the following three people were wrong.  1) The Progressive agent I spoke to last time I asked. 2) The Progressive agent I spoke to today.  Or more likely, it was myself.  Maybe it was National General Insurance (?) that we had previously that didn't want us bobtailing.  

I have not read the policy yet, but Erika Neil of McGriff Insurance, who I spoke to today, seemed to know what she was talking about. 

Thanks again,

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien