Class A Noncommercial License

Movin On

UPDATE March 25, 2024

Hubby was able to take road/skills test here in Livingston. He passed! After he passed the written test here in Livingston, he was scheduled by the staff in the Livingston DPS office to take the road test. Livingston IS NOT listed anywhere online as a testing site, but they will offer it to an applicant who uses the Livingston office for your application. 

Another option we were informed of: another driver (me) can apply for the Class A non-commercial license and just take the written test but not the road test and receive a Class A restricted license that requires a fully licensed Class A driver to be in the vehicle when you are driving. This way I can drive our rig as long as hubby is with me. I passed the written test so we will now both be able to drive our rig. 

Hope this helps someone else. 

BTW the Livingston DPS staff are outstanding - Very friendly, helpful and accommodating. 

We are in the middle of establishing our domicile at Rainbow’s End RV Park In Livingston TX. We have arrived at the point to transfer our Drivers License from Georgia to Texas and must have the Class A non commercial class drivers license. We understand we can take the written part here In Livingston, but it appears you can no longer take the driving skills test here. Has anyone recently taken the skills driving test, and if so, where do you suggest we schedule an appointment.? It appears to us there isn’t a nearby location. 
Your input would be appreciated. Not looking forward to having a road skills test…wasn’t required in Georgia for our fifth-Wheel. ☹️

Edited by Movin On
Update

22 hours ago, Movin On said:

We are in the middle of establishing our domicile at Rainbow’s End RV Park In Livingston TX. We have arrived at the point to transfer our Drivers License from Georgia to Texas and must have the Class A non commercial class drivers license. We understand we can take the written part here In Livingston, but it appears you can no longer take the driving skills test here. Has anyone recently taken the skills driving test, and if so, where do you suggest we schedule an appointment.? It appears to us there isn’t a nearby location. 
Your input would be appreciated. Not looking forward to having a road skills test…wasn’t required in Georgia for our fifth-Wheel. ☹️

Back when I got my Class A NCDL I was told the driving skills test was only given at the DPS Mega Centers. I don't know if that is still true but a little google search says the closest Mega Center to Livingston is North Houston.

I took my driving test at the mega center in Austin. From what I recall you can take the driving skills test at any of DPS Mega centers through out Texas doesn't have to be the closest one to Livingston.

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Since 2020, Membership -Escapee's, FMCA, Good Sam, Harvest Hosts

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

Check out this topic here on the forum.  It covers the issue in great detail and should answer all your questions.

2009 Volvo 670 with dinette/workstation sleeper - Walter
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

image.png.eaf8b965647f94e8667dc9daa8ef9a46.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sadly, I am a Commercial CDL Holder, see people driving RVs over 40' long dragging massive tongue trailers or pulling fifth wheels while adding a boat on trailer or SxS/four wheeler or motorcycles behind that where I have to have a Multiple trailer endorsement for that.  Many larger RVs and Fifth Wheel trailers are above the weight values for CDL Licenses yet get a pass except in 16 states, So Far, and the D.C. area.

Can see a REAL need when see the wrecks of a Non Commercial CDL class A.

29 minutes ago, ddm502001 said:

Sadly, I am a Commercial CDL Holder, see people driving RVs over 40' long dragging massive tongue trailers or pulling fifth wheels while adding a boat on trailer or SxS/four wheeler or motorcycles behind that where I have to have a Multiple trailer endorsement for that.  Many larger RVs and Fifth Wheel trailers are above the weight values for CDL Licenses yet get a pass except in 16 states, So Far, and the D.C. area.

Can see a REAL need when see the wrecks of a Non Commercial CDL class A.

What should we think the need is when we see an 18 wheeler on its side in a ditch?

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

2 hours ago, ddm502001 said:

I am a Commercial CDL Holder, see people driving RVs over 40' long dragging massive tongue trailers or pulling fifth wheels while adding a boat on trailer or SxS/four wheeler or motorcycles behind that where I have to have a Multiple trailer endorsement for that.

I think that most LEO's pretty much leave RV drivers alone for the most part. I'm not sure why?

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I think that most LEO's pretty much leave RV drivers alone for the most part. I'm not sure why?

Driving out of class is a relatively minor offense, and I'm not sure if it's even a primary offense in most states. That means a LEO would need another more serious primary offense first, before adding on the out of class offense.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Spent my Formative Years from 18-21 as a Mechanic learning these machines, Graduated to Towing Equipment operator when License was allowed along with wrenching at 19 for In State in KS.  Today's Crammed six week Learners in a School that have not driven long term should have to do as Myself and Second Seat for at least Six Months to two years with a Fully Qualified Old Hand.   As to those laying in a ditch have witnessed that a thousand times in over forty years as a Commercial to CDL Licensed Person, where witnessed the Creten coming out from behind that machine.  Owned my Own machine in 1980, was still wrenching so put on a Full Time driver/Partner on it, worked the 11 Western States so a lot of time on Cabbage, or Grapevine and all the secondary roads/passes between.  Currently drive for a local Company and have respect by drivers that did not know my qualifications as a New Hire.  Been hauling Crushed rock in a 30' Tub quarter Frame to a bridge site, requires Backing In 1/2 mile on old two lane around two corners on a slope and Uphill to get to S Approach.    Done that 8 times in three days, in the rain.  Backed Blind Side Seven times into a Farm Access Road 180 degrees reverse direction and across a Creek bed to load Creek rock locally.  Not my first rodeo.

Many Herders as are Known by older hands do not pay attention to their machine, only there to push pedals and shifters(if have one) and go point a to point b to stop and drop trailer.  Watched in horror as one of these dragged a trailer seven miles On BARE rims he had run the blowout off one and blown the other, was Totally unaware as Not EVER looked in his mirrors, was the quote he gave to SHP Officer.  Those types are dangerous.

As know How to Operate these, was swapped from a Dump Truck to this End Dump.

IMG_2176.JPG.7c102f14e89b047f77b514f65310ebea.JPG

I put it in places many driving Dump trucks will not back into.

This switch back was one of the worst.

IMG_2177.JPG.16187afb442c30adda165bb20ae0ae85.JPGIMG_2178.JPG.373ac664d167a9288c1f63ab6a50082c.JPGIMG_2179.JPG.02ed5544103699ddf08a006ef9b52ff5.JPG

Seven Times I loaded at the pile at bottom.

The Bridge haul is to the MO161 Bridge at Elkhorn Creek, Buell MO, is NO easy or pleasant way to get to that project.

I backed into the gravel drive on right to reverse orientation then Backed to the Yellow boom of that excavator behind the trees.  Eight Times in three days, raining.  The obstacles had to be negotiated.

IMG_2229.thumb.JPG.ea4765c86d30cf1217910ae72a64f009.JPG

Fun part is I get to go Back There tomorrow, to haul sand in for the Core Hole Drillings for the replacement bridge Supports.   Two to three more back ins.  Know one Dump truck driver that ran off the road twice as gets Left and Right corrections crossed backing.

My Skills Honing days were at Feld Truck Rental ST Louis Mo and Hogan leasing St Louis.  Moving the Rental Units from customer sites to the Shop for myself to perform repairs.  Learned a Lot working old narrow streets and docks.  Backing 53 footers behind a tandem cabover on STL Secondary streets is unnerving.

Edited by ddm502001

1 hour ago, ddm502001 said:

Those types are dangerous.

And all of them had a CDL. Maybe the RV drivers are not so bad after all? 

I learned to drive various things as a kid on a Kansas farm and also working for other farmers I never had a CDL and I'm pretty sure that none of those farmers did, nor do the ones that I know today. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI