Computer monitor or Smart TV

Computer Monitor or Smart TV  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is best?

• Dedicated Computer Monitor
    • Smart TV with HDMI connection
    • Something other, please comment.

A few months ago, my "All in One" computer seemed to be slowing down significantly. I had been using another computer during the summer at another location and I "Assumed" the reason why it was so much faster, was it was on a different network and I was using a WIFI direct connection through my phone. I finally decided to try theo other computer and found I could connect my Smart TV using a HDMI cable and I was back to a much faster computer using the same connection. I used both for a while but got tired of the wait time for boot up and other things and went with the computer connected to my TV until last night. 

It got warm in the house and instead of turning on the main HVAC unit I decided to just turn on the "Wall mounted" one in my bed/living room. All was good until I noticed a bit of water on my TV screen, apparently I have a clogged drain tube and one of the droplets got inside the "TV", because very soon after I had only a blank dark screen, but the video I was watching was still producing sound. I hoped by shutting it all down and waiting till this morning every thing would have resolved it's issue, but no such luck. The screen is still blank and I've pulled the old "All in one" out of the box to write this. 

The All in One is almost or maybe over 10 years old. I know I bought it in South Florida and I haven't worked there for a long time. It's time to replace I'm sure. I looked at an iMac over Christmas time, but really couldn't justify the increased cost over a PC. I have switched from an Android Phone to an iPhone though and it might be easier to transfer photos off the phone to the computer, but I don't know for sure. I am have had issues with transferring recently. 

The old computer was my Mothers before she passed. It has lots of photos on it that I enjoy seeing on the "Screen Saver" and I probably will continue to use if for at least a little while. 

I haven't hooked up a TV antenna for several months. I usually stream the major network shows at my convenience instead of when they are actually broadcast. The All in one has a 27 inch screen, the TV was a 32 inch I don't really notice the small size sitting at the desk, but I'm sure if I went to lie down in bed and watch something it would be too small. I have 32 inches of desk space and if I add the file cabinet that sits at the same height I can get just under 48 inches. 

It will be a few days before I do anything. 

Thank you in advance for suggestions, discussions and participation in the Poll

Rod 

Edited by lappir

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Have you considered swapping out your hard drive for an SSD? I did that with my ten plus years old laptop and it transformed it. Now it boots up in seconds, not minutes and is perfectly functional for the things I do. Happy with the result. Also, more RAM always helps. If you're annoyed with long boot times, you could just put in in sleep or hibernation. I almost never turn off my computers. Jay

Re: Your poll, I don't think there is a best, just what works best for each individual.

Edited by Jaydrvr

Made a trip to a couple big box stores today after contacting a local TV Repair business and was told it would not be cost effective to even open the device to evaluate. $50 bucks for the evaluation and any parts would put it a lot over what you could get a replacement. 

First stop found a 43 & 50 inch TV both under $300 a 35 inch curved Computer monitor was also under $300. Next stop had similar models over $300, but found out all of them were the "Entry Models" with the Crystal UHD screens. The QLED and other more fancy screens came in around $600 to a lot more than what I want to spend. 

I could not find a "Local Retail seller" just repair. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 3/5/2024 at 2:38 PM, Jaydrvr said:

Have you considered swapping out your hard drive for an SSD? I did that with my ten plus years old laptop and it transformed it. Now it boots up in seconds, not minutes and is perfectly functional for the things I do. Happy with the result. Also, more RAM always helps. If you're annoyed with long boot times, you could just put in in sleep or hibernation. I almost never turn off my computers. Jay

Re: Your poll, I don't think there is a best, just what works best for each individual.

I second that recommendation. I swapped my old 1TB HDD for a !TB SSD then added 16 additonal MB of memory to my  old HP P6-2350 I bought in 2004. It runs  dual-boot W10 and Linux much faster, now my limiting issue is, I only have access to DSL internet, with no cell service here at home..

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I second that recommendation. I swapped my old 1TB HDD for a !TB SSD then added 16 additonal MB of memory to my  old HP P6-2350 I bought in 2004. It runs  dual-boot W10 and Linux much faster, now my limiting issue is, I only have access to DSL internet, with no cell service here at home..

Thanks, if I do any thing to my computer it will be to most likely replacing it with a Mac, but not this time around. The "desktop" does everything I want it to after adding a WIFI dongle, I'd still be using it with my 32 inch Samsung TV had condensation not made it's ugly entrance. 

I have moved my desk and will no longer have that issue. A little jigsaw with a final cut with the Sawzall made the desk in the corner work out pretty well. I also now have a lot more room to put clothing away in the built in Armoire no more filing cabinet in the way.  

I'm using the small lonovo all in one and it's the one that took almost 5 minutes to boot up. The other one is less than a minute. 

Will probable go with the least expensive 40ish TV the sales people say the refresh rate is the same with the TV as it it with the computer monitors, what ever that is. 

Thanks again for the comments. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

• 1 month later...

Rod did you figure out what you are doing with that yet? Sorry I don't frequent these forums much anymore so just saw this.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

oaree3pl.jpeg

Yes Derek, I did. Got a 43 inch LG and it's working OK. 

Thanks for asking, 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

I just bought an LG TV and am really surprised at how good the picture is. If you want to turn the TV into an actual All in One computer I got one of these Morefine Intel N100 micro computers a few months back and thought that since you were talking having an old computer and replacing the monitor too since you already solved the monitor I'll put this review in because the micro desktop is perfect for that use in RVs for those so inclined, and take up zero desk space in most installations but that is up to the user.

Morefine is making a micro computer with all the bells and whistles and the new faster small form factor replacement processor the Intel N100. I bought the 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD version. It comes with a bracket to mount on the back of TVs monitors, projectors. I screwed the bracket on. and hung it on the back of my 28" Monitor. It uses the latest SSD the M.2 NVMe drives and can be upgraded to a 1 TB SSD But it is cheaper and easier to just get a 512GB SanDisk USB A 3.1 drive. I use them on my Surface tablets that came with only 128GB or 256GB SSD.

The inexpensive system: https://www.amazon.com/MOREFINE-M8S-Computer-Windows-Ethernet/dp/B0C99CNZSH/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2OTRK8CJXFIPE&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.1x8LMCxhfUfQXSsoJsb63i5XunrwOF2spKGGpXT17A9YnBgukx2WIaVWb1pOJhno.eMjW24-r3EwHiAD7V9UA9_81QkyAYNvYOUSZDH5IdCk&dib_tag=se&keywords=Morefine%2BM8&qid=1713656960&sprefix=morefine%2Bm8%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-5&th=1

Mine:QDKmW4B.jpg

I just put the standard size mouse in for size.

vtjTXYX.jpg

It comes with all the screws and the bracket needed to mount it. It has a Power supply too that uses a USB C plug so don't think it has a USB C port from the pics. It has three very fast USB A 3.2 ports and HDMI etc.

The top just pops off with my fingernails fairly easily and has plastic tits all around to hold it securely. You can see the 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD one screw and easily replaced or upgraded. There are loads of specs, pics of the ports etc in the Amazon link.
ED4XHAD.jpg

My hand over the micro PC with the cover off, it is tiny!

3uClB3E.jpg

It can do 4k streaming and videos as well as anything I threw at it. I use a Logitech K400 combo keyboard and mouse and that is the USB you see inserted in the pics. I also use a Bluetooth speaker from WalMart, a $15 mini with a passive radiator on the back that makes it very pleasing for testing and using on the workbench.

N2yjKyT.jpg

I have medium size hands and it fits in the palm of my hand, literally.

It boots fast has great graphics and is very peppy even six months later. I have no idea why it has two Ethernet ports but it has strong WiFi 6 radios and works great anywhere in the house. To me it is the best bang for the buck for non-gamers - great for streaming/email/music/surfing. And the Logitech K-400 can be used from anywhere in the room. These pics were when I first got it so have a Soundlink Mini I replaced with a Soundlink Flex upstairs and the Onn Wally World one I use on the workbench now.

I thought it might be helpful to you and others looking for a cheap and easy way to upgrade computers in an RV. You can mount the unit on the wall or the TV/monitor, but I would prefer easy access to use and remove USB devices and keyboard USB dongle etc. and cables for HDMI or Ethernet easily, instead of a major removal and reinstall each time. I will be putting it behind our new six months ago 75" Quantum dot nano cell LG TV next. The TV also ls a a high recommend for a stix n brix.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I was already familiar with Morefine as a little known manufacturer for other big name SSD brands and I picked up several of their 1TB 2.5" SATA SSDs to use as 2nd storage drives on my Dell micro 5080 i5 10th gen six core which I upgraded to a WD Black 1TB M.2 NVMe drive and one of those Morefine 1TB SSDs on the piggyback drive slot inside. The Dell micro is bigger than the Morefine but is still amazing how much they cram in there that runs cool and fast.This pic is the Dell5080 Micro with the M.2 already installed and the 32GB RAM under the fan which you can't see.This pic I took when I installed the 1TB storage drive in the blue carrier.

DmyUPPr.jpg

The upgrades:

vSPPgVY.jpg

And as the backup storage drive on my 24" Dell AIO touchscreen i7/2TB/32GB, in which I also installed a WD Black SN770 M.2 and an identical piggyback drive bracket filled with a Morefine 1TB SSD for a second drive 2.5" SATA like laptops use/used to use. I have upgraded my external drive cases from HDDs to SSDs and now have two M.2 NVMe drive enclosures that are screaming fast transfers as long as the computer is recent and has USB C and USB A 3.0/3.1/3.2 fast ports.

The Morefine SSDs were so well done I didn't hesitate to try their M8s Micro computer.They even can play games in lower settings

Here are two reviews, the first is a review in depth of the Morefine M8s I have, and the second is a review of the top five Micro computers using the newish Intel N100 processor. The only thing I can't upgrade is RAM as when they get this small it is soldered to the Motherboard. But the main drive and speeds can be tweaked easily.

Morefine M8S review:

Top five Micro N100 computers using the N100 processor and one is the Firebat with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD is only $122! But it is from Ali Express which I hate using. I prefer Amazon or even TEMU over Ali Express, YMMV:

In summary the micro computer have come of age and are great values for the average user. Hey it's my hobby and is way cheaper than any one of my old hobbies, Skiing/Scuba/Hunting, which I can't do anymore because - Old Fart. And no travel to play with tech toys before selling for some new toys.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998