Not a recipe, but a question.

lappir

How many "Salt" your cutting board before using? 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

2 hours ago, lappir said:

How many "Salt" your cutting board before using? 

Rod

Never heard of that but I suppose as long as you were very cautious of the amount of salt added later it would be alright.

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

So the reason I put salt on my Cutting surfaces, wood, plastic and one Glass one, is to keep the material from slipping around so much when I'm cutting or chopping. Not sure where I heard of doing it, but it works very well. It really doesn't take all that much unless your ingredient is very wet to start with. (Better to allow it to drain a bit if freshly washed). 

I have heard of Salting a "Butcher Block" for sanitation and I know people who are really bothered by my using a wooden cutting board at times. I do soak it and then put it in the microwave for a good steam  and then a sun dry when I think about it. 

I have a Bamboo board that has 5 plastic inserts each with a label indicating what should be cut on it. Poultry, Meat, Bread Vegetables and fruit. They all nestle in a slot under the board and the board is cut out to keep the plastic from sliding around. I just pull out the one on top and cut what I need and then wash the plastic in addition to the holder. Sometimes I just throw them in the bottom of the sink rinsed and then wash several at once. Better use of water in my mind. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

So the reason I put salt on my Cutting surfaces, wood, plastic and one Glass one, is to keep the material from slipping around so much when I'm cutting or chopping. Not sure where I heard of doing it, but it works very well. It really doesn't take all that much unless your ingredient is very wet to start with. (Better to allow it to drain a bit if freshly washed). 

I have heard of Salting a "Butcher Block" for sanitation and I know people who are really bothered by my using a wooden cutting board at times. I do soak it and then put it in the microwave for a good steam  and then a sun dry when I think about it. 

I have a Bamboo board that has 5 plastic inserts each with a label indicating what should be cut on it. Poultry, Meat, Bread Vegetables and fruit. They all nestle in a slot under the board and the board is cut out to keep the plastic from sliding around. I just pull out the one on top and cut what I need and then wash the plastic in addition to the holder. Sometimes I just throw them in the bottom of the sink rinsed and then wash several at once. Better use of water in my mind. 

Rod 

OK, so now I am going to have try this trick. I never would have thought of it. 

Interesting thing about wooden cutting boards, they are actually safe. I mean when you think about it wood has been used for cutting boards or butcher blocks for hundreds of years and there is no evidence of rampant botulism or salmonella ripping through the population. In actuality wood is naturally anti-microbial. 

From the National Institute of Health on a study the was done:

These results do not support the often-heard assertion that Plastic cutting boards are more sanitary than wood.

Full study here if you care to read it.

Grand parents, parents, myself and children same - always used and still do wooden cutting boards, regularly scrubbed and salted - have 3 scattered in SnB kitchen where a ton of prepping and cooking is done daily, and 2 in RV Kitchen (Large and small one).

Just way we were taught when younger by ancestors and passed down the line.   Very occasionally might pull out a small plastic one when cutting up a tomato or onion for speedier clean up snack times/sandwich making using it also as the plate so to speak LOL.

Interesting  thing about studies/research, I've always found over the years the results get changed from black to white often!   Butter is bad for you, then it's better for you comes to mind immediately.

If it ain't broke we ain't going to try and fix it.   All been good for past zillion decades in our homes.🤞

Jo Ann has a set of plastic ones that we use. They are smooth on one side and rough on the other. Put the smooth side down and the rough side holds the item to be cut. Each color board is a specific use. I know a couple of the colors, and ask about anything else. If I need to get one for her she tells me what color to get. I pull out what I think is the correct color, show it to her, and she either says yes or no. I have a bit of color blindness, so sometimes two colors will look enough alike to me that I'm not sure which is which.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

My biggest plastic cutting board has a gutter around the edge on one side but not the other. The gutter side is for cutting meat. Everything else uses the other side. I used one of the smaller ones yesterday to slice tomatoes; it does not have a gutter and I wish it did--tomatoes are juicy.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

My biggest plastic cutting board has a gutter around the edge on one side but not the other. The gutter side is for cutting meat. Everything else uses the other side. I used one of the smaller ones yesterday to slice tomatoes; it does not have a gutter and I wish it did--tomatoes are juicy.

Linda Sand

Or, you could just give it a wash and use whichever side you want. If you were really concerned you could use a food safe sanitizing wipe on it. 

Purell.jpg

20 hours ago, Chalkie said:

Or, you could just give it a wash and use whichever side you want. 

Actually, I do that. I just didn't want to use the huge cutting board to slice grape tomatoes for a salad. Then I wished I did.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• 2 weeks later...

Another not Recipe. 

I used to peel off the skin of Potato's, but haven't in many years. I would also peel carrots and usually Cucumbers, but consider just washing them now. 

How many wash. 

Wash and peel

or just Peel? 

I'm also thinking of discarding my "Plastic" cutting boards after reading the latest on the amount of plastic released by cutting carrots on a plastic cutting board. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Another not Recipe. 

I used to peel off the skin of Potato's, but haven't in many years. I would also peel carrots and usually Cucumbers, but consider just washing them now. 

How many wash. 

Wash and peel

or just Peel? 

I'm also thinking of discarding my "Plastic" cutting boards after reading the latest on the amount of plastic released by cutting carrots on a plastic cutting board. 

Rod

I peel potatoes if I am going to mash them otherwise skins are fine. I have gotten lazy on carrots and just buy the "baby" carrots. I peel cucumbers because I personally find the peels to have bitter taste.

4 hours ago, Chalkie said:

I peel potatoes if I am going to mash them otherwise skins are fine. I have gotten lazy on carrots and just buy the "baby" carrots. I peel cucumbers because I personally find the peels to have bitter taste.

I refrain from buying the "peeled cut carrots", way too much mark up in those things and I find they often taste terrible, but maybe I'm unlucky in picking the right bag. 

Depending on what I'm doing with the Cucumbers on how much I peel. I don't notice much of a difference in the taste, but I don't buy them often. I haven't made "Mashed" potato's for a long time. I don't actually mind them mashed with the skins and maybe even being a bit "Lumpy". 

Rod 

2007 Honda GL 1800

I don't peel baked potatoes but I rarely eat the skin. I do not like skins in mashed potatoes. True baby carrots taste differently from those that are tumbled to look like baby carrots. I don't peel cucumbers.

Linda

Don't peel baby boiled potatoes or baby potatoes roasted.    Love baked potatoes and hubby eats skin but I don't.    Don't care for flavour of mini peeled carrots but love peeled regular carrots cut long and thin tossed in butter and parsley.   Another favourite mashed rutabaga aka swede with roast dinners.  

To each their own.

11 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Another favourite mashed rutabaga aka swede with roast dinners.  

To each their own.

Indeed. I think the taste of a rutabaga is bitter no matter what you do with them, which is odd because I like cabbage and I like turnips (especially as Tatties and Neeps). Maybe it is genetic, just like to some people cilantro tastes like soap which they know is caused by a particular gene.

I've never heard of "Tatties and Neeps"!  I had to look them up to understand.  But  I don't like cabbage, so they're probably not for me. 

I do like cilantro, especially in salsa.  No soapy taste for me!

However, my pee smells bad,  after eating asparagus.  And the ability to smell that is genetic.  Must  be correlated with intellect -_-

https://www.medicinenet.com/do_all_peoples_pee_smell_after_eating_asparagus/article.htm

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car