Questions

kb0zke

Background: We're full-timers in reasonably good health. We have enough money to take care of our needs and a reasonable amount of our wants. We're not locked into any particular type of RV. We've had a Class C, a DP, and a travel trailer. We didn't two anything with the Class C, and actually only had it for a couple of years and a couple of trips, basically to see if an RV was something we might enjoy. We had the Foretravel for 10 years. The first year we didn't tow anything with it, but after that we towed a Jeep Liberty until it got sick. Then the Jeep grew up into a Lincoln MKT. A year ago we decided to go to a travel trailer, so the MKT grew up into an F350 and the Foretravel became a Grand Design Reflection 315 RLTS travel trailer. Part of the reason for going from a MH to a TT was the desire to reduce the number of engines to maintain. We went from three to one, and that's a good thing. The combined length of the Foretravel and Lincoln was about the same as the combined length of the F350 and Reflection, but the weight is a lot less.

Questions: I know of one couple that uses their HDT as their daily driver. The truck is heavily customized to suit their specific needs. We don't need anything close to that. How practical is using an HDT as a daily driver? Our F350 is about 22' long. How does that compare to an HDT? How much work is involved in putting a small car or Jeep on the bed of the truck? How easy is it to get service done? I can take the F350 into any Ford dealer and they can take care of it. I'm guessing that shots for HDT trucks aren't quite as common as Ford dealerships?

I'm thinking that if I need to have another vehicle for the daily driver I'm pretty much back to a MH, but without the generator's engine, so two engines to maintain.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

The two engines to maintain with a truck/car/5th wheel means no gen in the fiver?     That also excludes a truck mounted apu.    The real issue with a MH vs 5th wheel is where the driveline is in relation to living space.

That said, a truck with a small sleeper and a bed to haul a Smart car will be at the very least 28' more like 30' not as big as a class A but easily as big as a class C.     A truck without a car bed could be 22~24' even with a larger sleeper.     These trucks are close in footprint to a crew cab long bed but wider and taller.   

The service of a truck will not be as easy as a pick up nor will it be like a car dealership experience.    The franchise dealers are far fewer and have much more work per store.     You could wait a week for service. 

A short truck with a mid roof sleeper could be a daily driver but, it will be more taxing than a pick up and short trips are not ideal for the truck.    There is a lot of info on these topics here in the forum, take some time and research each in depth.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

I often see people wanting to use a HDT for a daily driver but I would hate it.  Lifting groceries for instance and parking can be a problem. The HDT will likely turn sharper so that helps some.  Short trips can cause extra wear and the fuel economy if you drive much is not great.  We carry a Subaru Crosstek with a small sleeper and our truck is 30'.  Loading and unloading the car was easy when we started but hauling ramps around is a little more work these days.  We tend to stay in an area for awhile so I don't do it often.  Towing with the HDT is great and effortless.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

18 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

The service of a truck will not be as easy as a pick up nor will it be like a car dealership experience.

This will depend on if you compare dealerships are your only option BUT with an HDT there are roadside options and truck stops and mobile mechanics, due to the number of commercial rigs out there.

To the OP, it really is such a personal choice and your circumstances are unique.  People have travelled/lived in every scenario you described and many you didnt.  Keep your eyes open and if an HDT is something you are considering seriously, go to a Rally.  Outside of that ask questions here and anywhere you see them.  We all are generally willing to share our own perspective and you can choose how some of our perspective can fit for you.

Marcel

I am old and my body is cranky. If I had an HDT it would have to have a lift to get me into it. I know that from trying to get into our daughter's HDT. So, you might want to take future health into consideration when deciding.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van