phoenix2013

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/19/2024 at 7:39 PM, phoenix2013 said:

New design addition?

RlQu2k2l.jpg

Finally making a stand for your pedestal grinder?  (Laying on it's side)

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Swung by the shop today, was greatly impressed by the progress in one day.

J0UzwL2l.jpg

Rail extensions, fish plates, torque box are  welded on, other things are dry fitted.

ff9rH7ol.jpg

5NBdeWal.jpg

I told them that the rails were an inch wider than typical ones I've seen, so the ET would have a half inch gap on either side. Solution slot the mounting holes in the angles. Indeed they must have done something like that.

wvHzIAJl.jpg

View from the hitch forward

8WG9WE0l.jpg

Here are the additions done Friday.

TkIWJixl.jpg

YPH2dDPl.jpg

fiGMwfCl.jpg

What you see here probably would not be necessary if the next thing after extending the rails was building the bed on top of the frame. Even with rails that long. The bed would tie everything nicely together. However, the customer wants to have "some fun" and take it for a spin as is. That's a lot of length at the end of which "resides" a 730 pounds ET with 4,000 pound pin weights on top of it. Torque, twist and moment are not a nice combo when they work together.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I guess Henry's been too busy at Bike Week to post new pics?🤣

Yes indeed busy as hell, but good progress is being made. I haven't painted a damn thing since I sold the ET business. Guess what, yesterday I re-introduced myself to a brand new paint gun, courtesy of Harbor Freight. I was very good with the throw away $14.95 guns. I figured, since I might be rusty I went for the $24.95 model. Hot damn, the skills are still there.

tytP9Hal.jpeg

Couldn't drive any further into my cousin's back yard, overhead wires for his internet, but the ass end of the truck was in far enough.

QGaGhJbl.jpeg

I used to go through gallons of the stuff from Sherwood Williams at about $100 bucks plus for part A and part B. They discontinued what I used, but one store had couple kits of the black primer 40 miles north of me and there is another store 50 miles south of me that has few top coat kits. $130 bucks now, they still have my account. I have to report that the painting skills have not vanished. Must be part of the deep set stuff that Alzheimer's can't touch. Primed the extensions, the brace and the receiver hitch.

LleqNeml.jpeg

FdfnLbzl.jpeg

My cousin and I did a ton of ETs in that old shop.

fMRAx3Tl.jpeg

V327qaSl.jpeg

And the stool and the walker, this was from the days when the knees were shot. I went through two of those walkers before the knees were replaced. There was no stopping the ET production.

The truck and the parts are going back to the shop this morning for re-assembly, more pictures will follow. The customer needs to use it in this form to pull the trailer for some warranty repair on his trailer and have some fun this summer. After that we "resume" with the bed design and build.

Edited by phoenix2013

Nice work, Henry.  You are the envy of all of us that are still somewhat your "Junior" but heading down the same road of life.  Good for you to still show up and get to work, a lifestyle that is healthy for us all.

I noticed that in the CAD drawing you showd a modified Z weld on the frame extensions but the final product did only have BUTT style connections.  I am not a fan of BUTT style for that application esp in that load arrangement, I did the Z style on mine.  Dont know if there is a difference from an engineering perspective.  What say you?

Marcel

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Nice work, Henry.  You are the envy of all of us that are still somewhat your "Junior" but heading down the same road of life.  Good for you to still show up and get to work, a lifestyle that is healthy for us all.

I noticed that in the CAD drawing you showd a modified Z weld on the frame extensions but the final product did only have BUTT style connections.  I am not a fan of BUTT style for that application esp in that load arrangement, I did the Z style on mine.  Dont know if there is a difference from an engineering perspective.  What say you?

I attached an enlarged photo of what they did. Probably what you were seeing is the straight edge of the massive fish plate they welded over the Z weld area. If you look over the right side you can see that they saved the downslope flange, enclosed it with a vertical rib and enclosed the resultant triangular space with a triangular plate, creating a torque box. The guy that owns the shop is not only certified welder for nuclear industry. He also inspects work of other shops to make sure it's good enough for nuclear industry. He thought my modified Z cut needed "some help" and just went ahead and did it.

QRkpJybl.jpeg

Edited by phoenix2013

17 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Yes indeed busy as hell, but good progress is being made. I haven't painted a damn thing since I sold the ET business. Guess what, yesterday I re-introduced myself to a brand new paint gun, courtesy of Harbor Freight. I was very good with the throw away $14.95 guns. I figured, since I might be rusty I went for the $24.95 model. Hot damn, the skills are still there.

tytP9Hal.jpeg

Couldn't drive any further into my cousin's back yard, overhead wires for his internet, but the ass end of the truck was in far enough.

QGaGhJbl.jpeg

I used to go through gallons of the stuff from Sherwood Williams at about $100 bucks plus for part A and part B. They discontinued what I used, but one store had couple kits of the black primer 40 miles north of me and there is another store 50 miles south of me that has few top coat kits. $130 bucks now, they still have my account. I have to report that the painting skills have not vanished. Must be part of the deep set stuff that Alzheimer's can't touch. Primed the extensions, the brace and the receiver hitch.

LleqNeml.jpeg

FdfnLbzl.jpeg

My cousin and I did a ton of ETs in that old shop.

fMRAx3Tl.jpeg

V327qaSl.jpeg

And the stool and the walker, this was from the days when the knees were shot. I went through two of those walkers before the knees were replaced. There was no stopping the ET production.

The truck and the parts are going back to the shop this morning for re-assembly, more pictures will follow. The customer needs to use it in this form to pull the trailer for some warranty repair on his trailer and have some fun this summer. After that we "resume" with the bed design and build.

It’s looking great, Henry! Can’t wait to see the final (phase 1) product.

So far, I don't see any provisions for DOT compliant lighting, though it's quite possible I missed it.  Don't forget reflective material and side markers mid-ship, since you surely over 30" oal.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

11 hours ago, rickeieio said:

So far, I don't see any provisions for DOT compliant lighting, though it's quite possible I missed it.  Don't forget reflective material and side markers mid-ship, since you surely over 30" oal.

Lighting will be on the plate replacing back plate on the ET. Thanks for the tip on the mid-ship lighting, didn't know that.

Spend a little quality time on David Dixon's site (Deep Space Lighting).  All the info is there.  He was gracious enough to help me plan the lighting on our bed.

A common misconception is that replacing the original tractor lighting is okay.  It's not even close.  Using the back plate of the ET won't cut it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Spend a little quality time on David Dixon's site (Deep Space Lighting).  All the info is there.  He was gracious enough to help me plan the lighting on our bed.

A common misconception is that replacing the original tractor lighting is okay.  It's not even close.  Using the back plate of the ET won't cut it.

If you are hooked up to your trailer 99% of the time, the lights at the rear of the truck are not 

that much of an issue, but if you daily drive you need to be sure. 

David is a great guy for sure. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

37 minutes ago, lappir said:

If you are hooked up to your trailer 99% of the time, the lights at the rear of the truck are not 

that much of an issue, but if you daily drive you need to be sure. 

True, but if I were an engineer, building beds for money, I would be concerned about the liability of putting out a product that isn't legal to be on the road.  We jump through a lot of hoops to be "motorhomes" and "non-commercial".  As such, we should make an effort to really be what we claim to be.  "Good enough", isn't really good enough.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Good point. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Saturday evening, final touches primarily wiring and air connection done, customer hitching up the daily driver he used to come down (from Orlando) and drive off his "possession".

fysi886l.jpeg

Prior to this I conducted about 5 minutes session how to appreciate an ET and what it does and countermand some bad advice from the "dumpers" crowd which managed to make its way to the YouTube channel as a new ET hitching up gospel. I video taped it on my iPhone and intend to publish my own gospel. The reason for the Saturday night rush to finish was the plans he had for Sunday morning. Here's the picture that arrived to my phone Sunday morning.

VVrJ83dl.jpeg 

He intends to have some fun throughout the summer in this form factor and bring the truck back around August for the bed design and build. It will be similar to this one.

aDsa8fTl.jpeg

We've already discussed the changes to the design to add few custom "goodies".

Wow.  That thing is so far out of compliance with the lighting regulations it's criminal.  For not much money, it could be correct, and much safer for him and other drivers.  There's about 50' of un-lit side view there, from the light between the trailer axles to the light above the steer tire..  Regulation is 30' or less.  And to top it off, it's all black, with not a lick of reflective material.

Shame on you, Henry, for letting that thing hit the road.  If anything happens on the road, you deserve a lawsuit.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Good reminder, Rick.  It’s okay to build outside the box but the further we stray from compliance the more we place ourselves on the radar for regulation.  Sooner or later it will bite us on the backside. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Is that the only light on the side of the truck over the front tire? Where are the faring lights that are came from the factory with? Hope the poor lighting doesn’t cause a problem for people when changing lanes and not seeing a blinker. Good luck with the over hang on some of the rough highways out there. I hope the owner has enough sense to put lights,reflectors or something. Just another thing to draw attention to ourselves on the highway. Glad it’s not mine. 

Henry, a KW doesn't have the side lights that a Volvo has at the back of the cab and, in this case, you really should add an amber light behind the tandems (on the fender support arm) as a minimum and preferably a red marker light at the end of the frame on the side.

As long as that extension is, and as Rick noted, painted black, it will be REALLY easy for a bicycle or motorcycle to not see that extension at night and create a serious issue.

These rigs are often parked at night by themselves due to shear size in overflow areas or even during fueling or grocery runs. I know you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if you caused an acident or worse, killed someone due to that oversight.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime