a true secure door lock.

packnrat

Does any corp out there make a truly secure door lock?

most i have seen are just a very cheap 4 pin lock. that are very easy to pick or just force open with a small crowbar.

entry in seconds, maybe even faster than using a key.

any lock that has nothing on the outside of the door to be picked. or even to let the crook know what he needs to do to open the door?

as a key fob does not need to work on anything outside of the door. just work something inside the door. that runs off the house battery. so never "locked" out due to a dead battery.

everything i can find online has just the same locking workings as the cheep factory units. stupid easy to pick. or bar it open.

not had a problem, in over 20 years. but things are getting worse. creeps will break in and just damage things, if you have no cold beer.

if someone wants in they will find a way regardless of what lock you have.  Windows are easy to break!  Locks (regardless of how good they are) keep honest people out - thieves will find a way.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

yes that is true.

buy why make it easier for them.

should see how my stick-n-brick hose doors are braced for "that" kick. as this house did have them kicked in before i bought it. i want to buy a couple steel doors with steel door frames. but the co$t. most of the windows are about top of your head high to the bottom of the glass. so not a easy entry.

yes my home does have security cams. this area is "safe" just a dumping ground for the gang bangers getting out of ca prisons. then the meth heads.

i believe security should be in layers. like a onion.

9 hours ago, packnrat said:

not had a problem, in over 20 years. but things are getting worse. creeps will break in and just damage things, if you have no cold beer.

If you are worrying about your house, you should probably move. If worried about the RV, pick better places to stay. If you have never had a problem, then why are you so afraid? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The best door lock invented will not stop a thief. If the door is locked a brick will break any window in the RV much quicker than picking the simplest of locks. Once inside they open the door to carry stuff away.

That is why we keep our MH and contents fully-insured, there is nothing above the tire contact patch that cannot be replaced with money.

If we stop at a place that makes either of us uneasy, we leave and continue down the road.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Given the flimsy nature of many RV doors, why would anyone spend excess money on a lock for said door. True thieves will just break in anyway. Picking the place you park your RV is more important in my opinion.

Linda

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

just asking.

no threat to me or mine.

i see videos and read about "better" door locks.  but do not see much of anything that looks "better".

in reality insurance wise. it would be great if someone did take my rv and it was not found. but not sure if i would want the problems that would bring me.

knowing how rv doors are made. i do not see much of any way to make a "stronger" lock for them. and knowing how easy it is to pick any key lock. i am no good at combo locks. and i do not even qualify as a rank amateur lock pick. it is just a part time hobby thing to me. the master lock line, i find easy to pick.

as for my s&b home. that is different.  meth heads, gangs, punk kids out for a laugh, etc. best to make it hard for them to get in from the get go, as i can be away for days at a time. (mail is supposed to go to a po box anyhow). no news papers . heck do they even print them any longer?

but breaking in other than a door is why i say build as per how a onion is.   "layers".

most crooks are just lazy, any problems, they move on to easier. noting at my place screams money.

pu is 4 years old, last one the motor went out. my rv is pushing 24 years old. heck if they want the flat screen tv, just say the word and i will hand it to them. as i have not even plugged it in a good 3-4 years. the "stereo" is....  O i bought it before i could even drive (now 63) from montgromery ward parking lot sale. and it is rarely turned on. (has a problem with the volume pot).

anything of value has a ser number and/or a marked number etched into it.

Anyone can claim their product is the best available or produced or sold. Then it's up to competitors to prove their product is better, which will never happen  because of the legal expenses and extensive testing  required.

I don't know what the latest U.S. Supreme Court decision about untrue speech will eventually have on such claims.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I understand where packnrat is coming from. Drugs are everywhere. The most common reply when people are victimized is "but I did'nt think they were in MY neighborhood".🤬

There are statistics somewhere of the percentage of burglaries and break ins that are opportunistic vs. professional, but I'm going to swag that 99 of 100 are opportunist drug addicts going for easy grabs. Laptop on a table, or power tools in the garage etc. Whatever they can carry out and pawn.

If you can make your home or garage just a small bit more difficult to get into than your neighbor, you will likely be spared, at least for a while. Once all the neighbors are broken into, and they out do your security, then it's your turn.

Even if the windows have metal bars and the doors are "secured" with a metal bar outer door, any mass produced rv can be entered with a good hunting knife or basic hatchet.

So the conundrum for discussion with your friends then becomes, do I attempt to secure the windows and doors and come back to a wall cut open, or put a wallet with fake cash and cards on the counter by the sink and a broken drill/driver on the floor in the corner, or.......?

Everyone will react different to being victimized. To some, it's just another insurance claim. To others it's personal. Neither has the right to condemn the other for their perspective.

Edited by Deezl Smoke
spelling

I'm a work'n on it.