Hail no!

RV_

We got creamed last week. On July 4th we got golf-ball size hail at ~1pm and marble size at ~6pm, then on the 7th of July we got hit again with same size hail again. It was pouring rain hard at the same time. I was not running out to get a sample to photograph until it was safe and they melted by 1/3 by then. We are insured and can afford our deductible easily but no necessarily happily. We have damaged roofs, shed roof and even the hail resistant roof it had put on in the big 2017 hailstorm the previous owner had replaced then. Damaged windows, screens, siding, wood privacy fence, and even damaged wood trim and bent the A/C grille and rain gutters on the shed.I have never seen hail like this, let alone three hailstorms in the same week.

I put some in the freezer but they are not nearly as large as when they first fell from the rain. Still big enough to do that damage.

IPu1yDyl.jpg

The grass is about 8" tall and not cut recently because we are xeriscaping and getting rid of the sod and water bill.

PKQToFOl.jpg

Melted but still big

yJiloQq.jpg

Gas fireplace exhaust.

AHTby3u.jpg

All windows in back are damaged frames but the glass is fine???

fCwlHF3.jpg

No more plastic gutters on the shed

h64RrAJ.jpg

ZHLHw7z.jpg

The dead sod has holes all over it and inch and a half and 2" deep.

5hH4Wuf.jpg

Lots more. Our tree was shredded and we cleaned up yesterday Thank goodness I changed my mind about self insuring and switched from USAA insurance. This was golf ball and ping pong ball size, they had baseball sized hail in other areas near our city and in Security. Hope we don't go through that size ever. This was bad enough.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I talked to my son since he was out of town on July 4th and asked if he had damage, his response was no. It apparently was all in the more southern area where you live. 

I another note - your siding looks like it came through pretty well, at least as far as I can tell from the pics. What happened to the gutters on your shed was what I hated about it. 2 or 3 years in the Colorado sun made it brittle. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

18 hours ago, sandsys said:

Ugh! I'm glad you were not outside at the time!

Linda

Reminds me of a similar hail storm we had many years ago when we too lived in the Springs. My in-law's were visiting and this storm came down from the north. It honestly sounded like a tornado or multiple railroad engines as it approached from the sound it made on the roofs of the houses. My father-in-law wanted to go out and gather up some hailstones while they were "fresh". I warned him if he went out and got knocked cold he was there until the storm ended, so he threw a bucket over his head and went anyhow. /sigh/

Those Front Range hail storms were probably the worst weather events in my opinion. 

Softball-sized hail, deadly flooding, 400 injuries: The Fort Worth Mayfest storm of 1995

We lived in the area affected by this one but left town for Waco just a couple of hours before it struck. We returned to Ft Worth on Sunday afternoon to 3 destroyed skylights in the house, my company truck and our son's truck both with major body damage and windshields that were just held together by the plastic layer in the middle and a house roof that got not only the shingles replaced but also the plywood decking under them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 7:12 AM, DanZemke said:

It must have been frustrating to watch it come down and realize there was nothing you could do until it was over.  On the bright side, I presume your cars were garaged.  🙂

Sorry Dan missed that. You presume right - our cars are always garaged and unless an emergency we don't drive in rain or when it's coming unless it's an emergency. Most of the time it is small slushy non-damaging hail in the past like we had again yesterday. Climate has changed here as we had almost no rain and a drought since we moved here in 2019. now we have had rain every afternoon for weeks! The news here is the drought is over and we have years of water in our reservoirs again.  

They only frustrating part was not being able to get a full size one before the rain melted them by 1/3 - 1/2 size. Too dangerous.

Since no windows had the glass broken we did not know the extent of the damage until the next two days.  

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks Bill, Gary, and Linda! My religion keeps me safe. What religion is that you wonder? I'm a devout practicing coward!  😵😉

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

We got the remnants of that storm system Sunday morning. Heavy rain, wind, pea and marble size hail for about an hour. It was funny watching hail bounce off the roof, still haven't inspected the shingles for damage; gotta get my spotting scope out of the safe tonight. 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I feel your pain.  On Sunday, July 16th, we got slammed by high winds and baseball size hail!  Lost nine windows on the north side of the house.  Will need to replace the roof, gutters, downspouts, metal siding, garage doors, and even the dining room carpet (broken glass). 

The RV in the driveway got hit as well.  If I had been able to attach the pictures, you would have seen a hole going through the solar panel AND the AC shroud.  Basically, everything plastic on the roof is toast.  Plus, the J panel on the bottom of the rig got holed in two locations.  My insurance agent thought it would probably be totaled.  I really don't want to give it up, and believe everything can be repaired.

By the way, the RV FlexArmor roof held up great!

2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG, Onan Generator, HWH Levelling, RVFlexArmor roof

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, SRW, 8.1L

B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Me and Mama and the fur-kid:
Prince - chihuahua-pug mix

Rvrev,

Sorry to hear you had that kind of damage! Let us know if you get it repaired.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

On 7/25/2023 at 3:59 PM, rvrev2 said:

I feel your pain.  On Sunday, July 16th, we got slammed by high winds and baseball size hail!  Lost nine windows on the north side of the house.  Will need to replace the roof, gutters, downspouts, metal siding, garage doors, and even the dining room carpet (broken glass). 

By the way, the RV FlexArmor roof held up great!

A few years ago, a friend of my son that lives in Security, CO, which is a few miles south of Derek, had hail that actually penetrated clear through the roof and let in enough water that it totally ruined the ceilings throughout the house. So, with hail that size, while quite damaging, I think you may have come out somewhat ahead. And you should send some pics to RV FlexArmor - maybe they will reward you somehow as that is quite the endorsement.