RAM 2500 Tailgate Back-up Camera

How do I disable or unplug it?  I use my mirrors for backing and that thing blinking on, even when the system is turned off, is irritating and a distraction.  It's part of the "infotainment" system, and there is no way to override it.  Even when I have everything shut off, as soon as I put it in reverse the camera comes on.  It is really bright and there is no way to darken the screen that I can find, so at night it's like someone turned on a spotlight in the cab and I can barely see the mirrors.  Right now I have a piece of electrical tape over the lens on the tailgate.

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

47 minutes ago, Will B. said:

Just add a dab of removable silicon or tape over it?

Yes, I have a piece of tape over it now.  I'm looking for a more permanent fix.

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

If you think you'll ever use it at all put an in line switch in the circuit.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

You said you'll stick with the tape (sorry couldn't resist) on the other forum.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

You said you'll stick with the tape (sorry couldn't resist) on the other forum.

😁  If I have to.  I'd rather just unplug the thing.  I think there is a page in the manual that tells me how to do that.

US Navy (Ret)

if you still want to proceed with disabling or unplugging the camera, it is important to consult your vehicle's owner's manual or seek assistance from a qualified mechanic. They can provide you with the necessary instructions and guidance on how to safely disable or unplug the camera without causing any damage to your vehicle.

Additionally, it is worth noting that many modern vehicles have safety features that cannot be easily disabled or overridden. These features are designed to improve the safety of drivers and passengers on the road, and while they may seem like an annoyance at times, they are there to protect you and others on the road.

On 4/11/2023 at 9:29 AM, Anawilliam850 said:

if you still want to proceed with disabling or unplugging the camera, it is important to consult your vehicle's owner's manual or seek assistance from a qualified mechanic. They can provide you with the necessary instructions and guidance on how to safely disable or unplug the camera without causing any damage to your vehicle.

Additionally, it is worth noting that many modern vehicles have safety features that cannot be easily disabled or overridden. These features are designed to improve the safety of drivers and passengers on the road, and while they may seem like an annoyance at times, they are there to protect you and others on the road.

There is a section in the manual that tells me how to unplug it in order to remove the tailgate.  I'll go by that this weekend when I unplug it.

US Navy (Ret)

1 hour ago, Tulecreeper said:

I'll go by that this weekend when I unplug it.

I would cover both plugs to keep them clean and dry just in case you ever want to reconnect it and to prevent any shorting of the pins.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I would cover both plugs to keep them clean and dry just in case you ever want to reconnect it and to prevent any shorting of the pins.

For sure...a little dielectric grease, wrapped up in electrical tape for future use.

US Navy (Ret)

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

If you put a baggy over the end before wrapping in tape, the tape will be much easier to come off when it needs to.

👍

US Navy (Ret)